Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G won't restore

Default iPhone 3G won't restore
    Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me as i am exhausted with trying to find away to fix my iphone.

Basically, it was jail broken prior to the 3.0 update, then ever since then it will not restore.
    I have followed all steps apple suggest when receiving the error code '1002' but still the phone sits in 'connect to itunes' mode.
    I have tried it in DFU mode, holding 'shift' and searching for the firmware as well as different computers and USB ports.

I am running windows Vista OS on my laptop.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me out of this frustration as I have been trying since 17th june!!

Thank you

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You said "tried" to put in DFU mode. Does this mean you have successfully attempted a DFU restore and STILL gotten the error or you haven't figured out how to get into DFU yet.

Oh apologies, I have put it in DFU mode and still the error code comes up.

Thanks

What version of iTunes and what firmware are you using?

As far as i'm aware it's 3.0 on the iphone, as i have tried restoring it to the earlier one and still get an error code.
    Also the newest iTunes version too. Even upgraded the other day when it asked me to update.

Thanks

I seem to remember that getting this error resulted in me having to restore on a different computer in order to get it to work. If you have a friend with a Mac I'd try that. Try rebooting your system, try reinstalling iTunes, try a different USB port and cable.

I have tried all of the above, except the MAC option... as i don't know anyone with a mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

You need to try using a system with XP Home or XP Pro. I'm sure that you can find someone who has those systems? I'm not saying that this will help; but its another option.

Did you try putting your phone in DFU mode while hooked up to the PC & Itunes? If so, try putting your phone in DFU mode while NOT hooked to the PC, then once if DFU mode, hook up to your pc and then open up iTunes; see if that helps. Did that once before when I was having problems and it worked; perhaps it was just coincidence, but it worked nonetheless.

Also: Did you completely remove iTunes from your pc? Meaning, all subfolders as well: then reinstalling? I'd also try locating an older version of iTunes too.

Hope something I've said helps!

Chris
    Main Phone: HTC ONE & Note 2 - Work: iPhone 4s - Tablet: iPad 2, The best of both worlds!

Hey Chris, thanks for the tips.
    Again, i have tried everything you suggested, except the XP operating system.
    I've even tried restoring my computer and installing a fresh copy of iTunes too. As well as installing an older version of iTunes on somebody's computer, but again still an error code.

I just don't know what the hell is going wrong with it or what else to try. Somebody suggested getting some scrambler software, but I wouldn't know what I was doing and where to get it from.

Thank you for your help nevertheless tho, appreciate it

Thanks

One more thing: Make sure you turn off everything running in the background on your laptop that you don't need running. Also make sure your laptop is hooked to a wall outlet; and not running on batteries when you restore your phone or attempt to. Your issue could be related to something running in the background or a performance problem with the pc(s) your attempting this on.

The reason why I'm saying this, is because on my first iPhone, long ago, I had a similar problem (don't remember the error code)and after researching for days; I found a site that someone suggested using a powered usb port due to the the amount of data that transferring on the restore. After numerous other remedies, I unhooked my usb cable and plugged it into the rear usb and bam, restored perfectly.

So with that said, make sure that whatever port your using, is powered and also make sure your laptop is on wall power; with nothing in the background that is not necessary.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    Main Phone: HTC ONE & Note 2 - Work: iPhone 4s - Tablet: iPad 2, The best of both worlds!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,070 Times in 6,151 Posts

Are you sure you have it in DFU mode? black screen?
    Try this link.

Chris - I just tried it again, closing everything that I know of using task manager, plugged into main outlet and the main USB port, But still the same error message.

Blkcadi - Thank you, but yes it's DFU with the black screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tr21aV View Post
    Chris - I just tried it again, closing everything that I know of using task manager, plugged into main outlet and the main USB port, But still the same error message.

Blkcadi - Thank you, but yes it's DFU with the black screen.
    Man, sorry bro, really wanted to get you going again. Send it to me, I'll fix it for you; for free! Serious, if you're at the point where you're at the last straw, let me have a whack at it.

Send me a private message if you care to talk further about it.

CHris