Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No response after digitizer replacement

Default No response after digitizer replacement
    Ok, so like every other poor schmuck with a few iPod battery replacements under his belt, I decided to replace a cracked screen on my 3G iPhone personally. Of course this is much harder then it looks when you only want a new digitizer.

Anyway, I removed the front panel without problems, and managed to separate the LCD without issue. I had a little fun unsticking the frame from the original digitizer+glass assembly, but it worked fine in the end.

I go to reassemble the phone and get everything stuck back together and plugged back into the motherboard assembly and turn the phone on.... Nothing. I get no response from the screen. At first I thought maybe I had somehow damaged the power button, but as I'm researching, the phone rings. Quite obviously "not damaged." My problem now is that I am sure that I have no LCD display and the digitizer does not work at all either (as verified when the phone rang and no amount of finger swiping would answer it).

I've double and triple checked the connections, and have even done a hard reset with the power+home buttons but I still have nothing. Is it likely I damaged the LCD? But then why does the digitizer no longer funtion? Moreover, I would expect the LCD to work even if I had been sent a dodgy new digitizer unit. At this point I'm at a loss because I'm willing to buy a new part, but I don't want to spend the money only to find out that the phone is irrevocably damaged.

You have 3 cables that push fit to the motherboard as you close the top tray into the main 3g housing, they are:-

#3 - Proximity sensor, light sensor and earpiece.
    #2 - digitizer for touch screen
    #1 - LCD screen

#1 and #2 are both very tricky to press down and get connected - you might think one end is clicked in but the other end can be out a fraction. In addition #1 the LCD connector can pop off quite easily as you try to close the unit up.

If the phone rings and does stuff it is unlikely you have damaged the motherboard, although you really need to be so careful using only non conductive splurgers to connect the cables and using good anti static protection, there are plenty of exposed circuits that an accidental touch could fry something.

I would say you either have not got the cables clipped down correctly, remove the whole thing and try again - taking your time as you have to hold the base and the top tray with one hand, with the top tray at around 90 degeees and then lower it slowly and fit in your cables one by one. The other option is you damaged the LCD (they are super fragile), and either damaged the digitizer fitting or it wasn't working when you got it.

If you can't resolve it yourself you might want to get in touch with the experts, pm cpjr or one1 to see how much they think it might cost to get it fixed.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Quote Originally Posted by Robcoffee View Post
    You have 3 cables that push fit to the motherboard as you close the top tray into the main 3g housing, they are:-

#3 - Proximity sensor, light sensor and earpiece.
    #2 - digitizer for touch screen
    #1 - LCD screen

#1 and #2 are both very tricky to press down and get connected - you might think one end is clicked in but the other end can be out a fraction. In addition #1 the LCD connector can pop off quite easily as you try to close the unit up.

If the phone rings and does stuff it is unlikely you have damaged the motherboard, although you really need to be so careful using only non conductive splurgers to connect the cables and using good anti static protection, there are plenty of exposed circuits that an accidental touch could fry something.

I would say you either have not got the cables clipped down correctly, remove the whole thing and try again - taking your time as you have to hold the base and the top tray with one hand, with the top tray at around 90 degeees and then lower it slowly and fit in your cables one by one. The other option is you damaged the LCD (they are super fragile), and either damaged the digitizer fitting or it wasn't working when you got it.

If you can't resolve it yourself you might want to get in touch with the experts, pm cpjr or one1 to see how much they think it might cost to get it fixed.
    Maybe a calamity of errors here and somehow everything has gotten damaged. I've touched and prodded at the flex cables to the point that I feel like I need to register as a sex offender, and yet I still get nothing. No feedback whatsoever. While the LCD flex cable does, in fact, have a very weak feel when connecting (as I imagine it would due to the really short cable length it has to work with) I am quite positive the digitizer unit is plugged correctly. I'm just surprised that I can get nothing out of the top panel. It's frustrating me more because I was only replacing the screen because of a crack that was a manufacturer defect (I bought the phone with a seed crack and was too lazy/busy to get it replaced when I noticed it) and since I live hours from an Apple store I thought "Hell, I'll just do it myself."

I suppose the question then is: is it worth it to try and buy a whole new refurb front panel? With that solution I would be able to replace both the busted replacement digitizer and the newly faulty LCD screen. But of course I am not sure of the possibility (though I imagine it's low) that I have in fact shorted the logic board in some way and I am now sitting on an expensive paperweight.

This happened to me last night when replacing my lcd and digitizer, after checking my cable connections 4, 5, and 6 times, I decided to get a bit physical with it so I got a good hold on the connectors and snapped em into place and that fixed my problem, sometimes they seem seated but are actually not.Hope this helps you a bit.

When seating cables 1 and 2, you will feel a DISTINCT snap, as if you're killing a semi large ant.

TRY and TRY again, is all i have to say, and be gentle, but firm!

I'm no stranger to SMT style plugs. I know when they're plugged in. There is no problem there.

To help diagnose my problem, I borrowed a friends 3G and swapped in her components, everything works... So obviously my screen and digitizer are just tits-up.

Now onto finding a suitable replacement. Anyone know if the myriad of eBay options are actually "OEM" as they say they are?

well i bought mine from jecomgroup on ebay for 115$ comes with lcd+digitizer+glass+speaker+bezel, making installation a snap.And the quality looks as if it is oem.Hope this helps

Yeah you may have mucked up your LCD...the digitizer may be more forgiving but the LCD will die on you much easier if you man handle it. Trust me I know. I went through 2 of them when I first started out doing this stuff. Now I know exactly how to handle them and haven't had any problems since.

I would try a new LCD first. 9/10 that's all you need