Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: logic board replacement help

Default logic board replacement help
    I have a 3g phone that is stuck in recovery mode. Won't restore (error 28). I think that I found out that my logic board has failed for whatever reason and needs to be replaced. My question is can I take the logic board out of a 1st generation 4gb iphone and put it in my 3g 8gb iphone? If it is possible can someone link me to a good site that has a tutorial of how to do this. Thanks!

I take it from the question you have taken neither a 2g or 3g iPhone apart before? Short answer is no you can not do that in any way. The 3g version iPhone has a single motherboard which handles everything, as one1 has pointed out many times before this was a pretty rubbish (albeit cost effective) move for iphone development because if a minor part of the 3g mainboard screws up - then so does the whole board as it is one unit - thus you have to replace the whole if you have an issue at all.

Personally if the board does something there is hope, iTunes 8.2 is no good for board recovery, downgrade to 7.7 or 8 maximum (use a different OS install if you can, otherwise it will screw up your iTunes library) and try restoring firmwares 2.0 to 2.2 - if you give up after less then 50 tries the you aren't trying at all.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Ya I just saw your responce in my other thread so I going to try that. The reason I was asking was I saw in a couple of other forums that the error 28 I am getting claims to be harware failure of the logic board. I have a 2g phone that will not work because I dropped it in water and now the touch screen won't work but everything else does. Just though I would try and swap parts. I'm desperate at this point!

Wait I thought the logic boards were different designs between the models? How are you able to use the logic board from a 2G to work with your 3G?

That plus the 2G needs the communication board to work in conjunction with the logic board...

How are you getting around this?

/\ he isn't, read my post, the 3g is a single piece motherboard while the 2g is in two pieces, comm board and logic board - trying to combine parts from one to the other is just not possible.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Quote Originally Posted by Robcoffee View Post
    / he isn't, read my post, the 3g is a single piece motherboard while the 2g is in two pieces, comm board and logic board - trying to combine parts from one to the other is just not possible.
    That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before I posted my response.

Basically we're saying the same thing but you're advise for downgrading iTunes and his firmware actually is pretty good.

Reminds me of the old 1.0.2-> 1.1.1->1.1.2+ days