+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: digitizer/lcd set from ebay? anyone buy?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
hey guys im thinking about getting a new digitzer/lcd combo from ebay to fix my phone, i know that u take a risk when buying from ebay and that most
    RCB
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default digitizer/lcd set from ebay? anyone buy?
    hey guys im thinking about getting a new digitzer/lcd combo from ebay to fix my phone, i know that u take a risk when buying from ebay and that most of the replacement screens come from hongkong which are not OEM and made with lesser quality.

just wanted to see what ppls thoughts are on this.. has anyone bought a replacement from ebay and what were your thoughts?? did the touch work okay? how was the colour and brightness? and did it fit in the iphone like an OEM part?

Also can anyone recommend a ebay seller to buy a replacement from??

thanks
    RCB

Green Apple
    Thanks

i bought one from ebay to repair my old 2g and it was fine for a couple months but then the bottom of the screen stopped working
    Last edited by Tunerfreak; 07-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

um I just bought an OEM bezel from Ebay and it's legit. Check out U&iPhone, I think they may have replacement lcds.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i bought "OEM" parts from sellers in the US fully expecting them to be aftermarket. They were, and they were full of problems.

The LCD i got was from a seller named yallstore, and it was a lot "hotter", blacks have a yellow tint that's noticeable from your previous LCD, and its even hotter than my brother's 3GS. So consider that.

The Digitizer that came with it (i got it as a combo deal for like 44 bucks) was nearly flawless, but it caused more problems that you could further see at the thread I made documenting my problem and what I had to do to solve it (I had to scratch the backside of the glass where the sensors are so that light could hit the sensors when indoors, the black was TOO black to the point it didn't receive light right - http://www.modmyi.com/forums/hardwar...tizer-lcd.html).

I hope this post helps you as you consider quality over cheap prices.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I purchased "2G iPhone Mid-Board+Digitizer+LCD+GLASS+PARTS" from jecomgroup on ebay. I just installed it last night and other than a few minor install problems on my end,i.e. getting the cables to stay connected is a bit of a pain, But I got it installed and it works beautifully. I paid 115$ for it and I feel it is worth it. And the colors and everything look exactly like original so no worries there.
    Last edited by devilleather; 07-19-2009 at 08:16 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I did. I'm ok so far. I'm repairing 2 16GB 3Gs this week. I'll let you know how that pans out.

I got mine from hi-etech

RCB
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiguy99 View Post
    I did. I'm ok so far. I'm repairing 2 16GB 3Gs this week. I'll let you know how that pans out.

I got mine from hi-etech
    how much did u end up paying? did it come with the pry tools?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i bought the combo off ebay and everything seemed to work fine untill i plugged it into my pc and my iphone freezes but when you unplug it the phone is back to normal. The only success i had was plugging the phone in with the screen disconnected and it connected fine. Any one else have this issue?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I did it by paying US$30 on ebay, which included the glass, touch screen digitizer, two plastic spudgers and shipping from a domestic seller. You can buy just the glass face, but it's hard to tell whether the digitizer is damaged without disassembly, and it looks hard to separate and glue together well, I don't think it's worth cheaping out like that.

Add a razor blade, a hot air blower (intense auto shop version of a hair dryer) and maybe half an hour and it's replaced. It's not for the faint of heart, so it's probably best to get it replaced professionally if you're not into intense DIY work. The third party services I found started at $150. I don't blame them for charging that, I probably would too.

I didn't have a case for it at the time, which probably would have prevented all this. The previous case tore apart and I didn't like any that were on the market at the time, but that was a mistake. I should have at least gotten any ugly silicone case available to pass the time until better cases were made available.
    mod/edit links removed