+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS - Water Damage help.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I was applying a Bodyguardz film around my new iPhone 3GS and apparently a bit too much water got in it from the application solution. I'm very mad that this
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy iPhone 3GS - Water Damage help.
    I was applying a Bodyguardz film around my new iPhone 3GS and apparently a bit too much water got in it from the application solution. I'm very mad that this happened..

So far, it can turn on and I can still slide and stuff.
    However,
    The backlight is "dead" and the speakers are weaker. (The screen works, but it's just really dark)
    The indicator on the headphone jack is still white but is red on the dock connector.

I have dried it completely from the outside and it is currently in a bag of rice which is supposed to help dry it out. What should I do?

The way I see it, it can turn back on and fully function in 5 days when I try to use it again.

Or, ..?
    This is where I am stuck. I am only 16 years old and my parents are pissed obviously because it is a new iPhone 3GS. I don't know what I should do.

I know the warranty does not cover water damage, and the indicator is already red on the bottom.

I have heard decent stories from people with the same problem who go into the Apple Store honestly and just tell the truth, and they get replacements or refurbished ones. I'm only 16, and can shell out maybe $200 or so if I had to.

If it does not work, I plan on maybe sending it to a repair service or just telling the Apple Store the truth about the Bodyguardz situation and how some water got in it.

I'm also wondering, I have only owned the iPhone for less than 30 days, so is there any policy that would let me return it even though there is water damage? If I cannot get a replacement, how much would it cost for Apple to repair or replace it?

- Please, read the whole story and try to answer my questions and give me some options as to what should I do.. Thanks in advance guys..
    Last edited by walden3011; 07-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks

They may be nice to you at the Apple Store; better start working on those fake tears though... It's going to cost you to get a new one if the 'Genius' isn't willing to help you out, as water damage instantly destroys your warranty and buying a replacement will cost you the unsubsidized price of the phone ($600-700).

Irony:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbWj...layer_embedded
    Respect your elders.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

You're screwed. Here's what happend http://www.modmyi.com/forums/hardwar...our-phone.html

Want me to see if I can help? Click the hardware link in my sig.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

That is EXACTLY what happened to me, but mine was around a year ago when i bought my 3G. The headphone jack was white, but the dock connector was pink. My speakers etc were fine, but the phone would automatically turn off every 10 minutes or so. Telstra sent it to Apple and, a month later, they sent it back cos it had "water damage", so i thought i was stuffed, Telstra told me i should just buy a new one there and then because the phone wouldnt keep working, yet til this day it works fine .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They told me on the phone, that worst case scenario, when I turn it on in 5 days and if it still doesn't work, it will cost $199 to replace for a brand new 3GS. I guess that is good news compared to the $400+ I hear from others, but it's still pretty steep.

Green Apple
    Thanks

first of all your not suppose to turn it on when it gets wet electricity and water do not mix, for some reason. You should have taken it apart immediatley and dried it out with air in a can napkins what ever you can think of..like someone said start those tears at the apple store maybe they replace, for once

Green Apple
    Thanks

Put it in a case with rice, I heard it works.

Thanks

Its Simple. I had to do this when my 3g had water damage. I took the phone completely apart. There are youtube videos to show you exactly how to do this. Now my only problem was the pink indicator at the bottom, the top was white. When i took it apart I was able to remove the pink indicator and then replaced it with a white sheet of paper cut to the exact size and super glued it on. I put the phone back together and went to the apple store. They took out their little microscope light thing and were like hmmm no water damage....we are not sure whats wrong...heres your new phone. This 100% works. Just follow the youtube videos on dismantling the phone. You will have to be creative on opening and removing the usb port to get at the pink strip. Anyway good luck.

Remember your phone is ruined anyway so have the balls to take your phone apart. 10 min into it I was like I cant believe i was doing it. Its not that hard, but a bit scary. If you are worried, just exhaust all other options. Again this works 100%.

If you have anymore questions, let me know. I will try to help.
    Last edited by stillbrad; 07-29-2009 at 11:07 AM.

MCN
    Thanks

I know this post is old, but maybe this will help someone in the future while searching. I got a couple possible solutions that have worked for me.

Twice my iPhone got wet...I was hiking and coming down a mountain outside my apartment. I lost balance and fell into a small puddle with my phone in my pocket....2ND time I was relaxing in a hot bath and fell asleep while playing with some new apps...i know asking for trouble...never again!

Well, I was in a panic knowing I voided my warranty not even having my 3Gs a full week. The first time everything functioned but the speakers. No sound at all. Second time, everything functioned but the back light. To me putting it in a bag of rice and letting it sit with water in it didn't make sense to me.

FIRST THING TO DO IS TURN THE PHONE OFF RIGHT AWAY!!!!! Then, I took a table lamp with a 60 watt bulb in it, sat the phone on the lamp shade with half of it over the center exposing it directly to the bulb. I had a shirt over the other end to balance it out so I wasn't directly on the bulb. Let it sit like that for 3-5 minutes...use your judgement as you do not want to cook it. Take it off for a couple minutes and let the phone cool down. Flip it and let the other end sit over the bulb for 3-5 minutes. Be sure to check it frequently to make sure it didn't fall and is sitting directly on the bulb. Again, let it cool down for a minute or two. Continue to repeat this for a few cycles. The camera lens should start to get condensation on the inside. When you first pull it off it will be clear, and as it cools condensation will build. I just kept repeating the cycle until the camera lens stayed clear when it was cooled down. Now try to power on the phone and see if it working. Hopefully your luck is as good as mine.

Another thing you can try if it doesn't work and you are forced to take it in to Apple....My wife used to sleep with a glass of water on the floor. She woke up one morning and discovered her phone in the glass of water. We lived in Indiana at this time and it was the peak of winter. She took her phone to Apple and said it fell out of her purse and sat in the car while she was working and after being the cold temp so long it got condensation inside when she took it into the heated house and it started acting up. They handed her a new phone on the spot no questions asked.

Also, if you are gizmo savvy, I heard of people watching a video on Youtube on how to take your phone apart. Find a way to get to the water marker, remove it, and cut out and replace it with a small white piece of paper of the same size. Heard of success doing that as well.

Hopefully, this can be of aid to someone in need. It worked for me more than once and have no problems at all. GOOD LUCK!
    Still a bit fresh at this...and will evolve to FRESH in a Bel Air type of way!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default solution
    This is so easy... i ummmm know someone who fixed this......

get a small hypodermic needle (smallest is best, put some bleach in it and then place a drop of the bleach into the indicator (kinda stab the indicator)

your indicator will be white by the next morning.. and time for you to visit your local genius.........

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Alcoholic iPhone
    This weekend while I was at a football game, I foolishly took my iPhone out of the case to whipe some dust off the camera lens so I could take a picture. Before putting it back into the case, I put it on my lap so I could clean some dust out of the case and my 3G[S] 'jumped' out of my lap and landed directly in a cup of beer that I'd put down between my feet. It was a perfect shot...the iPhone didn't fair too well but at least most of the beer was saved!

Anyway, I turned the phone off and dried it off the best I could. After the game I tried turning it on (foolishly) and found that the speakers weren't working but everything else seemed to. Before I turned it off though, the LCD backlight went out on me.

After drying it out in a bowl of rice for a couple of nights, I've managed to get the condensation out of the camera lens and everything is working fine except for the LCD backlight. I can barely see the screen.

I'm trying to figure out my best option. I'm going to try drying it out further with some silica gel packets. Unfortunately I have seen reports of others having problems with the backlight after water damage but I don't think I've seen anyone say that it eventually came back on.

My headphone jack dock sensor doesn't appear to be pink, but the one under the dock connector certainly is. I've seen many reports of bleach turning these back to white, but only the headphone sensor from what I've gathered (as well as some reports that bleach simply didn't work). Can anyone confirm that they've seen bleach work on a pink moisture sensor under the dock connector? If so, any recommendations on getting it in there without disassembling the phone?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm anticipating that my best option (other than $200 and a contract extension) is disassembling the phone and trying to replace the moisture sensor under the dock connector with some paper. Since mine is pink now, I'm not sure if I should be going with something glossy or something matte.

I've seen some general disassembly instructions (nothing specific to removing the dock connector yet) and I'm not too intimitaded by them, but would I be able to get to the moisture sensor under the dock connector without doing anything that would make it obvious to a 'Genius' that the phone has been disassembled?

Sorry again for the long post and thanks for any help you can give me!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwillis View Post
    This weekend while I was at a football game, I foolishly took my iPhone out of the case to whipe some dust off the camera lens so I could take a picture. Before putting it back into the case, I put it on my lap so I could clean some dust out of the case and my 3G[S] 'jumped' out of my lap and landed directly in a cup of beer that I'd put down between my feet. It was a perfect shot...the iPhone didn't fair too well but at least most of the beer was saved!

Anyway, I turned the phone off and dried it off the best I could. After the game I tried turning it on (foolishly) and found that the speakers weren't working but everything else seemed to. Before I turned it off though, the LCD backlight went out on me.

After drying it out in a bowl of rice for a couple of nights, I've managed to get the condensation out of the camera lens and everything is working fine except for the LCD backlight. I can barely see the screen.

I'm trying to figure out my best option. I'm going to try drying it out further with some silica gel packets. Unfortunately I have seen reports of others having problems with the backlight after water damage but I don't think I've seen anyone say that it eventually came back on.

My headphone jack dock sensor doesn't appear to be pink, but the one under the dock connector certainly is. I've seen many reports of bleach turning these back to white, but only the headphone sensor from what I've gathered (as well as some reports that bleach simply didn't work). Can anyone confirm that they've seen bleach work on a pink moisture sensor under the dock connector? If so, any recommendations on getting it in there without disassembling the phone?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm anticipating that my best option (other than $200 and a contract extension) is disassembling the phone and trying to replace the moisture sensor under the dock connector with some paper. Since mine is pink now, I'm not sure if I should be going with something glossy or something matte.

I've seen some general disassembly instructions (nothing specific to removing the dock connector yet) and I'm not too intimitaded by them, but would I be able to get to the moisture sensor under the dock connector without doing anything that would make it obvious to a 'Genius' that the phone has been disassembled?

Sorry again for the long post and thanks for any help you can give me!!!
    Same situation as you, screen is barely visible, pink on the dock connector, I'm going to go to them and say I left my phone in the car when it was cold, and it formed condensation when I went into my house.

Or pay 200 dollars..

How did you fare out?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

They dont care what your excuse is. Water damage is water damage and you will need to shell out $199 for a replacement. The cheaper solution would be to just replace the LCD or whatever else you said is damaged.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    just get the condensation out of the screen... the bleach does work the trick is getting it into the indicator.... i used a hypodermic needle....and yes it was the dock connector one that was red