+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Gps Not functioning

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I posted this in the t-mobile section but i found out its more than a t-mobile issue. i searched for this on the forums but couldnt figure it out, i
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default 3G Gps Not functioning
    I posted this in the t-mobile section but i found out its more than a t-mobile issue.

i searched for this on the forums but couldnt figure it out, i got a 3G 16GB on 3.0 on t-mobile i cannot get the GPS to work with any GPS app i havent tried a restore yet but i tried GPS Lite and it never picks up a signal i also tried GPS kit and that never gets a signal, Diagnostic padd shows information but im not sure if thats network triangulation or GPS Data. i also tried this while i was driving up north, i tried standing still i tried wifi no wifi. i also tried resetting the location warnings Anyone have any tips or anything. Thanks guys!!

i tried restoring yeseterday and tried it with a ATT sim and gps lite wouldnt pickup a signal and the map only had triangulation. is there a way to debug the GPS or find out GPS info? if i use XPS and hit reset gps itll show my speed for a split second then go away or freeze at that speed.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you've tried and tried and tried and it still doesn't work then perhaps it's hardware failure and the only option is warranty replacement. If you take it to an apple store and they can't get the blue dot to show up they'll have to swap it out. Seems pretty simple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Funny thing is i didnt think this thing had a warranty so i checked online, Its got a warranty for 3 more days lol im going to the apple store see if i can get it exchanged!

Thanks
    having the same issue, it was just fine all the time about year or soo, but since updated to 3.0 GPS refuses to find the sygnals, is there any .app that can check GPS status (satellite, signal etc).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default GPS fix also weak WIFI fix
    Did your GPS work once? Is it just crap now, showing wrong locations, not moving at all? Is your wifi signal weak or dropping all together? I had this problem after dropping my phone at a friends after one to many beers. I didn't notice that night but best believe that next morning I knew something was up when I was right at my desk (at home) next to my wireless router and I kept getting either weak signals or none at all! I figured that it was just low speed so I shrugged it off and went to work. Well when I opened the maps app my GPS was all screwy! What I mean by this is that it wasn't doing **** for me! It kept locating me in an unknown spot and the little blue dot wasn't pulsing. Not only that it didn't track any of my movements. Then I knew the drop the night before had something to do with it. Still skeptical about any hardware issues I searched the internet high and low for answers but found the same thing over and over. reset network settings and go outside, find open area with no trees... yadda yadda bla bla bla!! That's all fine and dandy if you're having a GPS update issues but not for I and a whole lot of others! So I researched how to open this bad boy (iphone 3g) and take a look inside thinking that it may be hardware issues and low-N-behold... yesir!! here's what i did...

First learn the correct way to open a 3g (suction cup) without breaking anything. Just google
    it.
    Next once you open it up notice that there are little orange stickers with numbers on them. YES apple was nice enough to label some stuff for us though I have no clue what the hell any of them are, but rest a-sure they are numbered.
    Now look at the top left corner, there should be a little round labeled piece numbered 6. I pressed until it snapped back into place and closed and fired her back up... and BINGO there's my pulsating blue dot.
    When I connected to my network here at home it was stronger than ever!
    I REPEAT the little round piece labeled 6 at the top left corner was lose so I just snapped it back into place and every thing was good once again! Try it out but be careful opening your 3g the front is attached to the rear piece. GOOD LUCK!
    <-----That's me now

Thanks
    I've tried everything, still no GPS, does any one know why that happening?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Did u try a full restore with the iphone. and if u want jailbreak and try XGPS on cydia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoabean772 View Post
    Did u try a full restore with the iphone. and if u want jailbreak and try XGPS on cydia
    tried all, seems 3.0 complitely ignoring GPS, any one know why that happening?

Thanks
    can anyone confirm if 3.1 fixed GPS problem?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

i used my gps and TomTom on a trip to Oregon. worked fine all the way there. on arrival i shut it off. next am i couldn't recieve a signal for 2 days. i tried everything. reboot/respring/new gps app, remove and reinstall tomtom,

finally i just upgraded to 3.0.1 and it worked again.

this happeded 2X so far on 3.0. so i suspect its a firmware problem. I'll keep u posted if it happens with 3.0.1

Thanks
    Have tried to upgrade to 3.0.1 same, now will try 3.1 will see what may happened.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im having the same problem on 3.1.2 sent it off to apple, replied theres nothing wrong and cant support 3rd party apps. so im stuck with waiting for gps signal on tomtom app

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having a problem after updating to 3.1.2 add to this that it fell off my hand that other day, but I've noticed the bad gps signal before it is around 2000m in GPS Kit, any idea?
    thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Several people have complained about the same 3G proglem(e.g. Bluetooth echoing), turning 3G network off can result in elimination of GPS accuracy issues.

However, turning 3G networking off, pegging a location, then turning 3G back on results in persistence of the accurate results.

Hope this helps!
    Mordy Naftaly
    www.rs232-converters.com
    Serial Converters, USB Converters, and Fiber Optic Converters