+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wifi issues

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I think it comes closest to the topic. I have an unlocked iPhone 2G (was running 2.1 FW), and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wifi issues
    Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I think it comes closest to the topic.

I have an unlocked iPhone 2G (was running 2.1 FW), and up until recently - about 4 days ago - wifi worked fine on it. Then, it suddenly became very sporadic. When selecting a network, sometimes the phone could find everything on my half of the street, but more often than not, it shows nothing at all.

Furthermore, after leaving the screen locked for long periods of time, I would sometimes unlock the screen to find that I have indeed connected to my home network. However, after attempting to access a website on Safari, perhaps the first page would load, and one second later, wifi's gone.

Rarely, I will wake up in the morning to find that sometime during the middle of the night, my phone received new emails, but of course, I can't check it because I have no wifi.

Overall, like I said, its very sporadic. EDGE and all other functions work just fine.

Anyways, I tried Google'ing a solution, and have tried everything within my comprehension (which, admittedly, is not that much. I am not at all a tech-savvy person ).

I have tried resetting network/all settings on the phone, manually inputting my home network into the phone, restarted the router, and restored my phone. Failing all that, I then decided to go ahead and take the advice to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0 and unlock it again with redsn0w, but no dice. I have the exact same problem as I had on 2.1, and I'm really lost as to what to do now.

Its not a hardware problem, is it? I don't really recall treating my phone any differently or particularly brutally between the time I first received my phone, and four days ago, when the problem initially began.

Once more, I'd like to mention that I am not tech-savvy, and so if anyone would be so kind as to shed some light on the situation in simplistic terms, I would appreciate it very much.

Anyone, please help?

(Thank you all for your time)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same problem as well and still no luck..anyone have a solution?

Green Apple
    Thanks

any chance it is your network? i have the same problem at my house but when i go to someone elses house with wifi it always stays connected no problems

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunerfreak View Post
    any chance it is your network? i have the same problem at my house but when i go to someone elses house with wifi it always stays connected no problems
    Admittedly, I have not yet tried this; however, at work, I can see every wifi network in the vicinity very frequently. I haven't actually tried connecting to one yet, though (because some moron input my phone number as my social security and now I don't have access to the internet -_- /rant). Networks are certainly more "existent" at work than at home, but I can't say whether or I could stay connected if I tried.

The reason I doubt its my network is because, besides restarting and resetting my router, my family member's identical iPhone and every laptop in the house connects to the network just fine. If it were a network issue, wouldn't it affect all wireless devices, rather than just mine?

(On a semi-unrelated note, if I re-lock my phone and buy a pre-paid AT&T SIM card, will the Apple store take time to listen to what I have to say?)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WatchTV View Post
    The reason I doubt its my network is because, besides restarting and resetting my router, my family member's identical iPhone and every laptop in the house connects to the network just fine. If it were a network issue, wouldn't it affect all wireless devices, rather than just mine?
    other things connect to my wireless router fine 2 laptops and an desktop using wireless and my phone is the only one having problems similar to yours. i even went as far as making my network open with no password needed or anything and that didnt do anything either. i know it cant be my phone cause my gf's 3g does the same thing when she is over so it has to be something with the router

Thanks

Hey ya, I am having the same problem with my 3Gs.

Every comp in the house works fine. By the phone has some issue with the wifi that I cannot resolve.

For instance, I get network after network error when accessing cydia. However, I turn wifi off and cydia loads up just fine. I open my email and it loads up rather quickly. Yet when connected to wifi, it takes like 5 min.

Any ideas?

Green Apple
    Thanks

just curious what routers do you all have?