+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LCD screen not working after opening iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I was opening it up after it received water damage. The screen was a little blurry from the water inside so I wanted to open it up and have it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default LCD screen not working after opening iPhone 3G
    I was opening it up after it received water damage. The screen was a little blurry from the water inside so I wanted to open it up and have it dry out. When opening it up I may have carelessly screwed something up because the part labeled (3) doesn't seem to snap properly in (If it's even supposed to). (2) seems to snap in fine and so does (1) when I snap the screen back in but (3) seems to have an issue because it's so flimsy. I'm not sure what each of these things do so that would help. Basically I know my phone is on (the vibrate/ring switch still works and the phone vibrates) but nothing appears on the screen. What can I do and if I can't fix it myself would anyone like to assist me?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well if I where you, I would power off the device completely, and go back and make sure all cables are connected. Maybe you accidentally tore a wire or something.

Or you broke something.

Just find what you broke.

iPhone? More like MyPhone picassolsus's Avatar
    Thanks

Those ribbons tear *very* easily....well, at least the one that slips in into the receptacle and clamps down. 99% of the time I've had a problem with a display not functioning or touch not being recognized after having the unit apart, it's been because I didn't snap one of the 3 ribbons back properly- or in only one case, I tore the ribbon. Triple check all of those connections. Good luck.
    iPhone 3GS 16GB 3.0fw White + Jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just had this same problem no responce after i took my phone apart well it seems the phone powerd on when i had it apart and when i went to reconnect the ribbons the phone detected an error and shut video signal off well i made sure i had all cables connected and held down home + lock for about 10sec the phone shutoff and i turned it back on and Ahh! 50Lb flew off my chest

also you wont have any touch responce with the clamshell open sometimes it has to ground out with the case so try closeing the phone up and try the touch after that.

anymore questiongs just ask

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have the same exact problem i just replaced the LCD because i broke my old one and when i put it back together the screen flickered white then went all black and now nothign will work. the phone still vibrates when i toggle the ringtone switch so i know the actual phone still works its just the screen seems to be messsed up. any ideas on what i did ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the number 3 connector doesnt clip in. it slides in from the top and then you close the clip over the inserted end. connectors 1 and 2 do just clip on though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jnave View Post
    i have the same exact problem i just replaced the LCD because i broke my old one and when i put it back together the screen flickered white then went all black and now nothign will work. the phone still vibrates when i toggle the ringtone switch so i know the actual phone still works its just the screen seems to be messsed up. any ideas on what i did ?
    Sounds like the LCD cable(#1) is not securely in place. Open the phone and press down on that cable to ensure it is locked in. You can push the sleep/wake button while you are holding it to see if the LCD is functioning while the phone is opened.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i tried that but sadly still nothing on the screen i also tried plugging in the broken old lcd to see if i could gett hat one to light up also but still nothing.

Thanks

Try a hard reset to see if that helps and/or restore. If it still doesnt work then the LCD is damaged and you will need to replace it.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Try a hard reset to see if that helps and/or restore. If it still doesnt work then the LCD is damaged and you will need to replace it.
    still nothing i dont think its the LCD because at least before i could still click thigns on the phone i couldnt see like the digitizer still worked now nothing the only thing that works on the phone is the vibrate/ringtone switch

Thanks

Is it still detectible by iTunes?? If not force the phone into DFU mode and restore

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah itunes still recognizes it, i tried restoring it and as far as itunes knows everything went fine but nothing on the iphone screen at all

Thanks

Then this is still a hardware issue. You need to make sure all cables are securely in place and functioning properly. You may need to replace both the digitizer and LCD if neither are functioning properly

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem, I was changing the lcd, all was easy but when I put everything on the exact placed, the lcd stop working so I opened again and disconnect and reconect all the cables(#1, 2 ,3) and then I restore the phone and I got some signal (white screen) but then i move some cable and image on the lcd show the correct image but like some cable was loose, so I coudn't stabilize the signal properly, I was tried to figure out how put the cable in a correct way because obviusly a cable was broken, and then when I thought everything was ok the screen not turned it on again, I tried every steps that I made but the screen just did nothing, but the phone works, calls, vibrating, restoring, but shows nothing on the screen totally black.

Please let me know if someone could fix this problem.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fernansp View Post
    I had the same problem, I was changing the lcd, all was easy but when I put everything on the exact placed, the lcd stop working so I opened again and disconnect and reconect all the cables(#1, 2 ,3) and then I restore the phone and I got some signal (white screen) but then i move some cable and image on the lcd show the correct image but like some cable was loose, so I coudn't stabilize the signal properly, I was tried to figure out how put the cable in a correct way because obviusly a cable was broken, and then when I thought everything was ok the screen not turned it on again, I tried every steps that I made but the screen just did nothing, but the phone works, calls, vibrating, restoring, but shows nothing on the screen totally black.

Please let me know if someone could fix this problem.

Thanks
    i have the same problem, i even ordered another lcd and it has same problem..but when i plug a real oem one in it works fine. where did u buy ur lcd?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have the same problem ive opened my phone up a few times and its been fine but this time the lcd wont come on detected in itunes fine etc.

Could it be something to do with connector 3? as it doesnt seem to slide in far into the clip thing.?

Unless my lcd is finally dead? but i find that hard to believe even though i have a cracked screen the lcd+ touchscreen seemed perfect before i opened it..
    Last edited by bigfish3; 01-02-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks

This does not have anything to do with cable 3. Try doing a hard reset on the phone by holding the home and power buttons simultaneously. If that does not work make sure the LCD cable, cable #1 is pushed down all the way. You can kill an LCD very easily by bending the cable too much or the wrong way. If none of these steps work you will need a new LCD.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok thanks for your reply im glad to hear i can rule out cable 3.

reset is a no go as my home button is broke. thats why i opened it in the first place lol.

omg i did a reset on itunes and my screen is back on!

thanks so much youve made my absolute day!

while im at it do you have any tips on how i can fix this home button? i know its pressure sensitive but i cant work out exactly how it works and what to do to rectify it. ive tried blowing around and behind it etc.
    Last edited by bigfish3; 01-03-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Same Problem
    I to have opened my iphone 3g. All the cables but the #1 cable that goes to the LCD will snap in right. When I go to put the #1 cable down in it's place the #2 cable pops back up. what can I do for this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Make absolutely sure there's no dirt under your ribbons. make sure you have folded over each other correctly. if all else fails try using a small piece of tape to hold it down