Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No sound from earpiece during calls

Default No sound from earpiece during calls
    I needed to replace the battery in my 3G which went smoothly, or so it seemed to me. But when I got the phone back together and made a test call, I got no sound from the earpiece. I used the volume selector and it wasn't the old headphone confusion problem. Everything else works just fine.

So where may I have gone wrong? Does anyone know which connector sends audio to the earpiece speaker? Please advise, if possible!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Flex cable #3 is the earpiece speaker and proximity sensor.

There is also a tiny flip lock on the mainboard where that cable slides in. You have to flip it up 90degrees before removing the cable or you will screw the cable up.

So, you probably have to buy a new #3 cable.

Okay, well, I had a bit of trouble getting #3 to go back in easily. I did flip the lock before removing it. The cable for the camera made it kind of hard to go in easily. So how far does it have to go? Does it have to go all the way in to the little white line? If so, I wasn't able to get it that far. Does #3 control anything else? I just tested the prox sensor and you're right it doesn't appear to be working either. I'll try re-inserting tomorrow and report back.

Well, no luck. I don't get it. I never handled the damn thing roughly at all! Anyway, so what do I have to do to replace the whole cable? Could it simply be disconnected somewhere at the other end?
    Last edited by bossfrog; 06-27-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

It wont go in to the line, so dont worry about that.

It is very easy to strip the cable though. All it controls is the proximity sensor and earpiece.

You can buy a new one on ebay really cheap.

And disconnect it from the screen assembly, takes about 20 seconds to pop it off. Easy.