Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change iPhone 3g IMEI

Default Change iPhone 3g IMEI
    I need to change the IMEI on my iPhone 3g. I remember this feature being possible on the iPhone 2g but I can't seem to find the way to do this on my iPhone 3g.

The reason I need to do this is because my personal account says that I am using a crappy flip phone. The data package only costs $10 a month for this crappy flip phone. I was using an unlocked iPhone 2g with this package for over a year. Recently the microphone on my iPhone 2g stopped working. I bought an iPhone 3g and would like to maintain that $10 package.. but at&t is pinging my IMEI and disabling the ability to use the internet with the $10 package when my sim is in the iPhone 3g. If I can tell the system that I am still using that crappy flip, I can prevent myself from upping to the $30 month data plan.

thanks in advance, chip

Thanks

you can't

well that helps. thanks..

you could do it on the 2g

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

What more do you want to know? He's right, its not possible.

Default yes but no
    where theres a will theres a way and if you have the will then find the way! i however, dont. isnt it stored in the NOR somewhere?

Thanks

Theres a way, but Apple's the only one with it.

It hasnt been cracked by anyone yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its not possible to change the IMEI number. Ziphone never changed the IMEI on the 2G anyways, it spoofed it. Now to answer your question no one has been able to spoof the IMEI on the 3G either

Using an iPhone 3G / 3GS on a cheaper data plan

Unlock your iPhone 3G or 3GS.
    Go buy/borrow 3G phone that is compatible with AT&T's $10 per month data plan.
    Go to an AT&T store or kiosk.
    Tell them you want to switch from your iPhone to this other phone.
    (I used my buddy's Samsung Eternity)
    Call AT&T and tell them you are getting rid of your iPhone and switching to this other phone.

Provide AT&T with the model (and/or IMEI) of your new phone.
    Have AT&T activate a new SIM (AT&T will not reuse sim cards)
    Opt for the $10 per month data plan for that device (you can add text and other features by logging into your account online later)

Once you have the new sim activated with your phone number, you can pop it in your unlocked iPhone 3G.
    You may have to reboot the phone once or twice to connect to the network.
    My phone came up initially with full signal bars, but no 3G icon.
    After another reboot, I had full reception and 3G.

I went to Testmyiphone.com - iPhone Speed Test to verify that I was getting full 3G speeds, and I was.
    I also tested a video upload to youtube and it went just fine.

I'm told that the 3G speed is only limited by the device, and is why AT$T charges less for less powerful devices.

The 3G processor in the phones eligible for the $10 data plan cannot push/pull as much data s the iPhone, so they do not throttle the bandwidth per device, they just don't charge as much for phones that simply cannot use as much bandwidth due to their hardware limitations.

I haven't completed billing cycle yet with this workaround, so I'll check back in once I've verified that the billing is reflecting the lower data plan (and that AT&T hasn't detected my 3GS' IMEI and adjusted the data plan back up to $30 / month)
    Last edited by ARCHA1C; 07-20-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Good luck!

He believes in fairies and He lives in la la land! "You can't change IMIE on any phones since 2005, and since the first Gen iphone! Now the iphone has the worst IMEI to resolve, not even ATT would give it to you, not with in the 24 months contract!

You can altered the IMEI but is has to be done since on the factory line. And that the reason a real Unlocked iphone cost so much! IT"S GOLD! not only the iphone, but any other cell phone import!

Default Some people are still using $10 plans on iPhone 3G
    It's probably worth mentioning that I know of at least one person using an iPhone 3G on the AT&T 3G network while only paying the $10/month data plan.
    Yes, visual voicemail does not work, (nor does it work for me, which makes me believe I am still on the cheaper data plan, and have not been detected... yet)

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHA1C View Post
    Using an iPhone 3G / 3GS on a cheaper data plan

Unlock your iPhone 3G or 3GS.
    Go buy/borrow 3G phone that is compatible with AT&T's $10 per month data plan.
    Go to an AT&T store or kiosk.
    Tell them you want to switch from your iPhone to this other phone.
    (I used my buddy's Samsung Eternity)
    Call AT&T and tell them you are getting rid of your iPhone and switching to this other phone.

Provide AT&T with the model (and/or IMEI) of your new phone.
    Have AT&T activate a new SIM (AT&T will not reuse sim cards)
    Opt for the $10 per month data plan for that device (you can add text and other features by logging into your account online later)

Once you have the new sim activated with your phone number, you can pop it in your unlocked iPhone 3G.
    You may have to reboot the phone once or twice to connect to the network.
    My phone came up initially with full signal bars, but no 3G icon.
    After another reboot, I had full reception and 3G.

I went to Testmyiphone.com - iPhone Speed Test to verify that I was getting full 3G speeds, and I was.
    I also tested a video upload to youtube and it went just fine.

I'm told that the 3G speed is only limited by the device, and is why AT charges less for less powerful devices.

The 3G processor in the phones eligible for the $10 data plan cannot push/pull as much data s the iPhone, so they do not throttle the bandwidth per device, they just don't charge as much for phones that simply cannot use as much bandwidth due to their hardware limitations.

I haven't completed billing cycle yet with this workaround, so I'll check back in once I've verified that the billing is reflecting the lower data plan (and that AT&T hasn't detected my 3GS' IMEI and adjusted the data plan back up to $30 / month)
    I have done some thing similar to what you have post! Some bought a 3GS, but it never got activate with the sim card it was supposed to have, actually the person never had a chance, she was on her way to a business trip, when she came back she report it stolen (her car got stolen by her ex boyfriend) as she reported it to ATT after 37 days she had to paid a cancellation feed on the data service, since she told them she did not have any money for a new iphone, not even the 199.00 and trust they try so bad to pitched to her! at the end she got the samsung with the 15.00 basic unlimited data! and the cell (3gs got activate with a prepaid) and there is no problem, works real good!

My question is? did you activated your with the original sim card?

Funny you should mention that.
    I ordered my iPhone 3GS online, and it was shipped to my house.
    I had an iPhone 3G.
    When I connected the new 3GS and went through the activation via iTunes, my new 3GS sim never activated.
    I popped in the sim from my old 3G phone, and it worked, and I was using it ever since.

I had a $30 iPhone data plan on the phone, however, so I didn't gain any price advantage by using my old SIM.

I actually went to the AT&T kiosk this past weekend and had them activate me a new sim for a Samsung Eternity with a $10 data plan.

Since my 3GS is jailbroken and unlocked, I took the sim (intended for the eternity) and put in in my 3GS, and it works.
    Last edited by ARCHA1C; 07-20-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: bold text

Easy....change your logic board!! Problem solved...now is it worth it????

Where is this $10 data plan? I can only see $15

Where is this $10 data plan? I can only see $15
    Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-21-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah I'd like to do this as well. I am moving to South Korea in a few days and the few telecom's there track every single IMEI # on a whitelist so right now people can't just use any active SIM and put it in their iPhone. Right now they don't sell the iPhone in Korea so you can't get the iPhone IMEI # on the whitelist. So I'd like to "spoof" or change my IMEI # to the one that my corporate Blackberry will have so that I can use the SIM from that blackberry on my iPhone. If there is a method that would be very appreciated.

Thanks

You cant change or spoof your IMEI unless your using a 2g iphone running an OLD firmware.