+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone WiFi problem

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alright guys here is what I ended up doing: I set up an appointment for this morning and went to an Apple Store. I explained to the "Apple Genius" that
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Alright guys here is what I ended up doing:
    I set up an appointment for this morning and went to an Apple Store.
    I explained to the "Apple Genius" that my phone was not connecting to wifi after the 3.0 update.
    The "Apple Genius" could not connect to the store's wifi with my iphone, and ended up replacing my phone.
    Problem solved... Thank god for Apple Care Warranty Extention.

I know this will not help those of you who are out of warranty, but for those of you who still have an active warranty on your phone i would suggest making an appointment with your nearest Apple Store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

even if i bought my phone from my phone provider and have unlocked it (i just purchased this in may 09) i can get it replaced at my apple store?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tutty123 View Post
    even if i bought my phone from my phone provider and have unlocked it (i just purchased this in may 09) i can get it replaced at my apple store?
    I dont see why not... Just restore your phone to factory, before you show up at the Apple Store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I THINK I HAVE SOLUTION FOR SOME OF THOSE PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST NIGHT 2 HOURS SPENT LAST NIGHT AND THIS MORNING ANOTHER 2hrs. I tried restoring thinking i screwed something up, but it's not me it's iphone. FOR THOSE THAT HAVE WI-FI SECURITY ENCRYPTION FOR THEIR INTERNET FOR THOSE THAT DON'T, DOWNGRADE BUT THAN AGAIN YOUR BASEBAND STAYs THE SAME, AND ULTRASN0W HAS NO EFFECT MEANING IT WONT UNLOCK ON 2.2.1 FIRMWARE WITH MODEM 4.26.08. IF YOU have ATT you're all SET, this wont affect you because you'll be able to install all apps without errors you encounter with 3.0 and have your phone jailbroken.

Go to SETTING turn of WI-FI
    Log onto your """"WI-FI Router"""" and remove encryption key(if you have one) I had one cause iphone had hard time picking up signal from encrypted internet.
    After that Go back to your SETTING on your iphone and enable WI-FI.

After you disable encryption, enable your WIFI.

Under your existing WIFI connection(name of your wifi) click on the blue little arrow at the end of your SSID(name of your network) and on next page on the top FORGET THIS Network tap on it.
    Go back to you WIFI and scan for your NEW (DISABLED ENCRYPTION) INTERNET.
    Try connecting now.

After this MY BELKIN ROUTER N,(different routers different options) has option when you log into your ROUTER to go to SECURITY Tab where you can enable or desable security and to select ""WPA-PSK2"" for you to type in your own phase containing 8 words to 64. I created my own pass you would do the same for your internet.

I HOPE THIS WORKS, FOR SOME OF YOU AM SURE PEOPLE WILL HAVE PROBLEMS REGARDLESS DOING THESE STEPS.

FOR BEST OPTIONS, FOR 3.0 OS, DISABLE YOUR SECURITY, THAT WAY YOUR ABLE TO UPDATE CYDIA, AND APPS NEEDED.

IF THIS DOEN'T WORK FOR YOU, DOWNGRADE FROM 3.0 OS SINCE IT HAS MANY BUGS, TO 2.2.1.

I WAS ABLE TO DOWNGRADE TODAY FROM 3.0 TO 2.2.1 LITTLE TROUBLES BUT I DID IT, BUT I COULD POST HOW I DID IT, OR YOU COULD GOOGLE IT.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks
    well that sounds dandy...Im afraid im not going to be able to do this becuase there is no way im going to let my wifi not have security code. I live in a very populated area and my wifi would get raped! lol. however, i do hope its a fix for all of the rest of you. Heres to hoping apple gets on this pronto!

Thanks

I will try that solution when I get home. Mine was working flawlessly before 3.0 also.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im having the same problem and its driving me crazy. Every time i try to connect it simply says "Unable to connect". Tried downgrading and still didnt work

Thanks

Thanks guys! I was having this same problem too and I did the network reset and then it took my password right and now i am Finally (after 4 months of ownership) able to get wifi at home on my iphone. Yay modmyi!

Thanks

As an option to using a password on your router, you can set your router to only accept certain mac addresses. Locking in your personal computers / devices and locking out everyone else. This worked for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone have a solution to this problem? im still having troubles with the wifi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tutty123 View Post
    Anyone have a solution to this problem? im still having troubles with the wifi
    i still got it, my wifi is practically dead now, it only works if i plug in the iphone to itunes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a similiar problem ... But i don't know when it started happening, i asume for all the things that happened to evryone it started when i updated to 3.0 OS firm. Before i could use Wifi prefectly, but now, when i enter to Settings, the Wifi icon, it's not highlighted, it's like dark grey and cannot acces to wifi options. So i decided to install cyndia with the bossprefs, when i enter to bossprefs, the wifi icon is red, i put it green like "available" but when i respring the phone and enter again to settings, the wifi icon is still dark grey and cannot access to wifi options ... any clue ? Should i put an old firm ?? I'm going crazy !
    Thnx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

exact same problem for me as well...my wifi seems to work in little specific pockets of my house including my tv area, a closet and one area of my sofa. This never used to happen and i had very strong wifi access throughout my house

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i'm having same problems i find that if i input my wifi setting in manualy it will work and i stay connected but as soon as my phone goes into sleep mode all settings are gone and im back to that unknown ip address that is displayed. there alot of talk about this all over the internet but as yet no solution that i can find. help please!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

has anyone found a solution for this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    seems to be a hardware problem. back up, restore to orignal apple software and make an appiontment with an apple genius they should replace it free of charge provided your with in 12 months warranty period or if you've got apple care. Failing that check your house contents policy most do cover mobile phones also. had mine replaced working perfect now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeh, I have the same problem with wifi on my 2G. All of a sudden wifi doesn't work; sometimes it detects the network at home and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does detect my network, I put in the password and it keeps saying 'unable to join network'. I have tried restoring it a few times and even downgraded it back to 2.2.1 and still doesn't work. I've also tried resetting network but nothing seems to fix it. Anyone with any ideas?
    Last edited by longqduong; 08-05-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcphq View Post
    Hey, just joining in on the fun.
    Here's my story:
    1.1.4 FW using ziphone (cant remember what i used before that)
    2.2.1 FW i did so using quickpwn, wifi problems started here.
    3.0 FW using redsn0w 0.7.1 (wifi problems persist)
    That might be your problem right there. Ziphone has been known to permanently eff up wifi on some 2G phones.

That's why folks moved away from that form of jailbreak/unlock process.

MacNN: Ziphone unlock works on iPhone 2.0 - Hackint0sh

Thanks
    I have to add that I don't think this problem only affects 3.0 update, since I have a 1G iPhone on 2.0.1 firmware and it has lost its capability to connect to wifi almost in a 98%. I tried everything; restoring several times, downgrading, upgrading, resetting, and every trick mentioned on so many forums. I just cannot believe that Apple is not addressing this issue, since this cannot be a "coincidence" with so many people suffering from the same problem.
    It's almost bizarre to think that one has to deal on his/her own with this, considering that this was such an expensive gadget, and the malfunction happening in many cases right after the expiration of the guaranty. Do we have to suck it, because we are out of guaranty on a U$400 phone right after a year? I don't think this is fair.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default All very Well But!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    I THINK I HAVE SOLUTION FOR SOME OF THOSE PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST NIGHT 2 HOURS SPENT LAST NIGHT AND THIS MORNING ANOTHER 2hrs. I tried restoring thinking i screwed something up, but it's not me it's iphone. FOR THOSE THAT HAVE WI-FI SECURITY ENCRYPTION FOR THEIR INTERNET FOR THOSE THAT DON'T, DOWNGRADE BUT THAN AGAIN YOUR BASEBAND STAYs THE SAME, AND ULTRASN0W HAS NO EFFECT MEANING IT WONT UNLOCK ON 2.2.1 FIRMWARE WITH MODEM 4.26.08. IF YOU have ATT you're all SET, this wont affect you because you'll be able to install all apps without errors you encounter with 3.0 and have your phone jailbroken.

Go to SETTING turn of WI-FI
    Log onto your """"WI-FI Router"""" and remove encryption key(if you have one) I had one cause iphone had hard time picking up signal from encrypted internet.
    After that Go back to your SETTING on your iphone and enable WI-FI.

After you disable encryption, enable your WIFI.

Under your existing WIFI connection(name of your wifi) click on the blue little arrow at the end of your SSID(name of your network) and on next page on the top FORGET THIS Network tap on it.
    Go back to you WIFI and scan for your NEW (DISABLED ENCRYPTION) INTERNET.
    Try connecting now.

After this MY BELKIN ROUTER N,(different routers different options) has option when you log into your ROUTER to go to SECURITY Tab where you can enable or desable security and to select ""WPA-PSK2"" for you to type in your own phase containing 8 words to 64. I created my own pass you would do the same for your internet.

I HOPE THIS WORKS, FOR SOME OF YOU AM SURE PEOPLE WILL HAVE PROBLEMS REGARDLESS DOING THESE STEPS.

FOR BEST OPTIONS, FOR 3.0 OS, DISABLE YOUR SECURITY, THAT WAY YOUR ABLE TO UPDATE CYDIA, AND APPS NEEDED.

IF THIS DOEN'T WORK FOR YOU, DOWNGRADE FROM 3.0 OS SINCE IT HAS MANY BUGS, TO 2.2.1.

I WAS ABLE TO DOWNGRADE TODAY FROM 3.0 TO 2.2.1 LITTLE TROUBLES BUT I DID IT, BUT I COULD POST HOW I DID IT, OR YOU COULD GOOGLE IT.

GOOD LUCK
    You story is a simple one to fix, most of us have the killer problem, and that is that our phone no longer is able to use WIFI, it not a router and its not likly to be firmware as I have downgraded and upgraded 8 times this week-end down to 2.01 and back to 3.0 then back to 2.2.1, and it still does not work, the BAseband does not change so this is the only common factor so I think what we need is a way to return the Baseband/Modem backa little...... Nay one Help??????