Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone dont charge while pluged in to iPod port on car stereo

Default iPhone dont charge while pluged in to iPod port on car stereo
    2 months ago I upgraded to a 3g (But I Returned it when found out new iPhone was comming out in 2 months) but when I Plugged it into my Pionner Avec D3 Car Stereo and it play'd music just fine Just like my previous 1st Gen iPhone with the exception the 3g would not charge while pluged in.

BTW: I am using the 30pin iPod concetor from the manufactor.

Has anyone figured out how to remidy this?

Oh by the way the reason i am asking is I just pre-ordered a 3G(S) and shuld be here in the 19th

The original iPhone's docking connection has the ability to charge over both firewire and USB. With the 3G, the firewire option was removed and it only charges via USB.

Where this is an issue, is that car audio manufacturers have used the firewire charging option instead of USB. Apparently, from what I've heard, they did this because firewire charging is done at the same voltage that the car audio uses and USB doesn't. It hasn't been a problem up until now.

I have the same problem as I installed a dock for my AVIC-N3 in my car and the original iPhone works perfect, but the 3G is fully functional, but won't charge. Unfortunatley, there is no solution as far as I know.

Thanks

You can buy a scosche adapter that will let your iphone charge from the ipod connector. Alternatively there are nsome newer head units that will work wiht the iPhone 3G. I recently bought an Alpine CDA-105 and it works great.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

Jollyware (06-14-2009)