Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mic and ear piece NOT WORKING!! HALP

Default Mic and ear piece NOT WORKING!! HALP
    Hey,

Okay so my phone flew out of my pocket on my motorcycle at like 25mph haha!! like 3 months ago. But it was a champ not much damage. the power button got reaccessed a little but still worked few scratches etc... so I get the boner idea to take it apart and fix it. I fixed the power button a screw fell out easy fix! WRONG i should have just moved the camera and fixed it but i took everything out watching a Youtube video. everything went back in fine I had trouble with the #3 ribbon cable i think i messed it up I guess because now no matter what I do I get no ear piece sound or mic. I can use blue tooth and or iphone head phones. What can I do? apples non warranty replacement $200 buy parts? scam att&t add warranty then a month from now say i lost it? PLEASE any help this sucks!!!!
    The cable is in i just pushed it in a little hard i think because it didnt look like it was in all the way idk.

THANKS!!!,
    Jon

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Flex cable #3 connects the earpiece and proximity sensor.....but NOT the microphone.

The mic is on the bottom and it part of the dock assembly.

Both can be replaced. #3 is very cheap on ebay and very easy (IMO) to swap out.

Update yes now i have noticed the proximity sensor is not working so ill try a new #3. Any ideas on the mic? i guess that cable too? anyone know the term for this one?

Thanks,
    Jon

Thanks

The mic is called the mic...haha.

There is no cable (basically) it ties into the dock assembly flex cable which is the charging port and also the external speaker ties into the dock assembly as well.

The mic can be bought off ebay cheap too.....but it is soldered onto the dock flex cable so you gotta have skills to replace it.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

you cant put insurance on the iphone with AT&T,but you could take it to apple and see if you can get then to swap it out....
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

well I bought a new dock cable and mic & #3 so lets pray!!
    I have a Asian lady at my dads work that all she does is solder pc boards all day so ill get her to fix it up! Parts cost me total for all three $23 free shipping.

Thanks

Yeah those parts are pretty cheap. Fairly easy to swap too.

Thanks

so if the #3 flex comes out without you pushing up the little white tab it breaks the cable? even if the cable looks fine?

Thanks

^The tab yes most likely it will damage it (and yes you cant tell by looking)....thats what the tab is for, locking it into place.

Thanks

mmm new number 3 tab aswell then

Thanks

At least its a pretty cheap part and easy to install.

It controls your earpiece speaker and proximity sensor, so check to see if those are working or not.

are we talking about an iPhone 3G or an original iPhone? My brother's iPhone 3G mic is acting up after he replaced the digitizer/LCD glass and he has to use a Bluetooth headset or speakerphone... the mic only works when he enables speakerphone. At least we know that the mic itself works, but we have no clue what could cause it to behave that way.

He's on the other side of the country so I can't look at it myself, but are you guys saying that the locking tab on the motherboard's #3 cable connector can be replaced? It seems that you would have to replace the delicate SMT connector itself with some serious soldering skills.
    Last edited by CZroe; 06-08-2009 at 02:40 PM.