Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to remove iphone 3g home button flex cable

Default how to remove iphone 3g home button flex cable
    Hi bros here anyone care to share how to remove the flex cable for the home button . Cause i accidentally break the flex cable metal part.

anyone?????? my hero CPJR ??
    Last edited by starwish83; 05-28-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You gotta replace the button itself which comes with the flex cable attached.

The bad news.....

The home button has to be removed from the top.

The real bad news.....

To do that you have to remove the glass/digitizer from the screen frame.

The just plain crappy news.....

You will break the glass/digitizer removing it and have to replace that too.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 6,214 Posts

Dang, talk about buzz kill..............O.o

I have this same problem with a phone I just picked up tonight. Too bad I discovered that the home button didn't work after I successfully swapped glass digitizers....

I think I can take it back off without breaking it. Its going to involve both my heat gun and some patience. Good thing I bought an extra home button to use on a phone I had last week that ended up not needing one.

Wish me luck fellas

Actually its not as bad as you think. I did it this weekend and successfully swapped the home button and cleaned out the phone's screen with Invisible Glass and compressed air! No more dust and the home button's working again on that specific phone.

Take your time. Don't force it. Make sure you have some of those double sided 3M adhesive strips when you do this BTW.

The whole job took me about 15 mins start to finish including the cleaning

I have changed the home button removed the glass digitizer fine no problems just be careful and always start from the top

Hello, i have removed the glass from the digitzer or what ever. so i have access to the home button ( my flex cable snapped when replacing digitizer btw) and i'm not sure what to do, do i need glue or anything to stick the cable in or do i just simply slide the botton and cable in and leave it without any glue? Thanks in advanced

Do Not ever use glue on your phone. The new flex cable should have a double-sided adhesive on it. If not just use some double-sided tape to attach it to the mid frame. I attached an image of where the adhesive should sit. The circled area is where you need to apply an adhesive tape, and you need to attach the home button itself to the flex cable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -3giphoneflexbutton.jpg  
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

cyph (10-21-2010)

Why not see if its under warranty and exchange iPhones?
    If I helped thank me!

Quote Originally Posted by dvn821 View Post
    Why not see if its under warranty and exchange iPhones?
    His warranty is probably already void from opening it.

Bringing an old thread back to life...

Where do I get a heat gun from? And is there a step-by-step guide to do the home button replacement. I've been without it for about a few months now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skater38053's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jurrassikk View Post
    Bringing an old thread back to life...

Where do I get a heat gun from? And is there a step-by-step guide to do the home button replacement. I've been without it for about a few months now.
    Hair dryer will work also... And search YouTube "how to replace iPhone 3G screen"