Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone won't turn on - help please.

Default iPhone won't turn on - help please.
    So, i bought a 'faulty' 2G iPhone off eBay, for a very very good price 'IF' i can get it working.

The phone doesnt turn on, or seem to charge. The screen is in tact, so no cracks, bleeding ect, just the odd few light surface scratches. It also fails to get recognised by iTunes on my computer. The sensor in the headphone socket is clear white, so that rules out water damage i think.

I've tried all the button tricks - but no luck.

So i'm wondering what the problem could be, with the info i've given. New battery maybe??

Also are there any people on these forums who fix iPhones and are trustworthy, as i've seen a few on eBay who claim to be able to fix various problems for 20-40.

Anything at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can someone reply please. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Chrism66; 05-28-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Hold the home and power button at the same time. While you do that, plug it into your wall charger. So do all three at the same time. Try that.

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Hold the home and power button at the same time. While you do that, plug it into your wall charger. So do all three at the same time. Try that.
    Is that not the same as plugging into the USB on my comp and pressing those buttons??

Thanks
    Thanked 10,187 Times in 6,203 Posts

Welcome to MMi.
    There are several members here that are very good at fixing iPhones if you need to have it repaired. Guess you should start by trying a few things to get an idea of whether it's a hardware or software problem.
    You can try the method mentioned and then also trying to put the phone in DFU mode to see if iTunes will recognize it.
    I'm assuming you are new to iPhones so here is a vid that will aide you in doing it.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=channel_page]YouTube - How To Set Your iPhone / iPod Touch In To DFU Mode And Bring It Back From The Grave[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Welcome to MMi.
    There are several members here that are very good at fixing iPhones if you need to have it repaired. Guess you should start by trying a few things to get an idea of whether it's a hardware or software problem.
    You can try the method mentioned and then also trying to put the phone in DFU mode to see if iTunes will recognize it.
    I'm assuming you are new to iPhones so here is a vid that will aide you in doing it.
    YouTube - How To Set Your iPhone / iPod Touch In To DFU Mode And Bring It Back From The Grave
    Yeh, im pretty new to iPhones. I'm quite techy, but not enough to open the phone and play about. I'm ok at jailbreaking, unlocking getting into DFU mode, hard reset ect.

This seems dead though (no power what so ever) DFU and hard reset doesnt work, everything is blank. Like i said it isnt detected my my PC.

I've also tried the various button combo's with it hooked up to my USB but to no avail.

So....any help what so ever is appreciated. If you could point me in the way of who repairs/fixes these on this site and how much they charge that would be great.

Only thing i can think of is, loose wire/connection or battery.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,187 Times in 6,203 Posts

The 2G guru here is a member called "one1" He's a awesome guy and knows he's stuff. Extremely trustworthy and can do about anything.
    Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrism66 View Post
    Is that not the same as plugging into the USB on my comp and pressing those buttons??
    It would seem that it is, but for some reason it worked for me when using the wall charger and not the USB chord.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

There are tons of reasons it could be dead.

Most likely water damaged....and most likely not repairable.

But the only way of telling it to completely disassemble the phone and check everything, which would include probing the boards and such....it can be very in depth.

But the fact that it wont respond at all is bad.

UPDATE*

I've managed to get it switched on. It wouldn't come on using the USB cable, but i've got an iPod speaker dock and as soon as i slotted it in it came on.

However still no detection in iTunes or my PC. I think the digitizer may be bust too. The screen i get to is the black one with the iTunes logo with the USB cable below it with an upwards arrow with a locked padlock at the top, and underneath the text 'slide for emergency' - I cannot slide it though. So like i said the digitzer must be bust.

The DFU trick and reset doesnt seem to be doing anything though.

I've read alot about 'One1' he seems like the guy i need, however im in England, so would probably cost abit.

Any ideas??

Can someone reply please.
    Last edited by Chrism66; 05-29-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

crack it open and see if any flex cables are out or broken?