+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! I think I've knackered my 3g!

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all, I'm hoping you're all gonna tell me that I haven't completely buggered my iphone 3g! I changed the casing over the weekend and since the phone's been put
    Marcos123
    Default Help! I think I've knackered my 3g!
    Hi all,

I'm hoping you're all gonna tell me that I haven't completely buggered my iphone 3g!

I changed the casing over the weekend and since the phone's been put back together I get no reception at all, the rest of the phone works fine though. I've taken it apart since to double check everything's connected and everything seems to be fine.

Have I put something back in the wrong place or is there something I need to do with the software to get it going again? Please don't tell me is buggered!

Thanks all

Green Apple
    Thanks

hey dude ,

did you check that that small cable from the Back is plugged in Really good?
    its a bit tricky to plug that in

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hybirdd View Post
    hey dude ,

did you check that that small cable from the Back is plugged in Really good?
    its a bit tricky to plug that in
    There is no cable that connects the antenna.

The antenna is under the dock assembly and has a "touch" pressure point on the top side of the dock assembly to the right. When the mainboard is placed back into the phone it lays on top of this point and "connects" the antenna.

So, make sure everything is seated properly cause if theres even a slight variation it may not be making a connection.

Marcos123
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    There is no cable that connects the antenna.

The antenna is under the dock assembly and has a "touch" pressure point on the top side of the dock assembly to the right. When the mainboard is placed back into the phone it lays on top of this point and "connects" the antenna.

So, make sure everything is seated properly cause if theres even a slight variation it may not be making a connection.
    Hi,

Thats great, I now have reception!
    Another couple of problems though. I now have no ringer, the ipod won't play through the speakers and I can't hear the other person when I make a call so have to use the heaphones for everything. Any ideas what this could be? ( When making a call the other person can hear me though)

Thanks!

Hi,

Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? Another connector not flush or do you think a part may need replacing?

Thanks
    Last edited by Marcos123; 05-29-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

sounds like your flex cable isn't attatched properly?
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well, your external speaker isnt working and your earpiece isnt working.

The external speaker is attached (soldered) to the dock assembly, which plugs into the mainboard...but if its not plugged in then you also couldnt charge the phone, use the mic or sync....so you possibly actually damaged the speaker itself.

As for the earpiece, check to see if the screen turns off when you hold the phone to your ear during a call....because the same cable that connects the earpiece speaker also connects the proximity sensor that cuts the screen off.
    Its cable #3 on the screen assembly...which is the one that lodges into the mainboard BUT has a tiny black locking mechanism that must be flipped up before removing the cable...or you will break it. Which is probably what you did.

You can buy the #3 part pretty cheap off eaby and replacing it isnt very hard.