Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g, need to replace something maybe...

Hybrid View

Default iPhone 3g, need to replace something maybe...
    hi everybody, i recently picked up a 3g and it has a sleeping problem. everytime i put the phone to sleep mode via sleep/wake button, after around 20-30 sec the phone shuts off. so far everything has worked great except for this issue. i can keep the phone on if i have my music playing in the background and i put it to sleep mode, i just put the volume down and use silent mode with vibrate.

after i found this problem which didnt take long, i checked the earphone water damage white paper strip thing and its half pink and half white. im thinking its the flex cable that connects the sleep/wake, volume, silent switch, and headphone jack together. it might have gotten loose or small water damage (i say small because everything else works just fine).

btw, phone acts normal (fully operational) if its plugged in to a power source, which makes me think that its the flex cable even more.

also is it possible to give the flex cable in question a alcohol bath to make it work normal?

so if someone could let me know what part to replace i'd appreciate it. and thanks in advance.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

If the phone has water damage it needs to be properly diagnosed, taken apart and completely probed. You cant guess it needs a flex cable replaced.