Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unique 2G iPhone problem? Speakers only work with headphones plugged in...

Default Unique 2G iPhone problem? Speakers only work with headphones plugged in...
    Lets cut to the chase.

I had bought a used 2G a while ago. I got it for a fair price considering the condition. Everything worked well; except the back housing was rather beat up with scratches and small dents.

I had recently picked up another 2G. This time it was very broken and whatnot, but I mainly wanted it for it's back housing, and got it for dirt cheap. The only problem (so I thought) is that this housing is for a 16GB; whereas mine is an 8GB. Ok I can live with that though right? I just like a nice clean look and feel for my iPhone.

So I swapped the housing and all went well. But when I turned it on I decided to check the camera and iPod. The camera didnt work, it would open but just stayed black. And the iPod also opened and I started a song, and it was running but no sound. SO I plugged in headphones- and the speakers work, but headphones did not... So its like things are reveresed- without headphones no sound, but with headphones plugged in, sound.

I put the old housing back on- everything worked. I decided to swap the camera with the broken phones camera and then put the 16gb housing back on. Camera now works, but the iPod is still the same.

I would swap the heaphone jack with the other housing but I am afraid its not as easy as the camera.

So does anyone know whats up?

THANKS!

ive had a problem where if i removed the headphone, there would be no audio at all, i did a factory reset and it worked. maybe you should try a factory reset..
    HexRyde

But with the beat up 8GB cover everything is fine, but then when I switch to the 16gb cover theres this problem...

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Its the flex cable thats in the housing causing the problem (which includes the headphone jack).

You can buy a new, bare housing off ebay (in lots of colors) for real cheap...like $10-$15.

Then swap all the pieces from your original, working housing into it.

Moved to proper forum.

Ok sorry about the forum deal. Didnt know where exactly to put it.

Anyway, couldnt I just swap out the flex cable and headphone jack then?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Sure...I was just saying you could get a new housing for cheap, if you wanted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Scotty097 (08-16-2010)

Ok well thanks for the help. I will just swap all the cables for now and see how things go. If it doesnt work I guess I'm stuck with the 8GB housing...

OK so i had this situation almost to the letter but when i switched cases i also got a new cable and installed it then put it back together. Then i started it up and everything was fine the camera the screen but not the ipod. i pressed play and heard no sound so inserted headphones and heard the sound coming out of the speaker. I need a solution.

* Note i check the sound settings and when i changed the main ringtone it would come out the speakers no matter if the headphones were in or not.