+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Dead Spots: Apple Repair?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
About 3 days ago I was walking in some rain, trying to text on my iPhone 2g. About 4 rain drops got on the screen, so I stopped and put
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone Dead Spots: Apple Repair?
    About 3 days ago I was walking in some rain, trying to text on my iPhone 2g. About 4 rain drops got on the screen, so I stopped and put the phone back in my pocket. An hour later, while inside, I turn the phone on, but the entire area around the top row on my keyboard is now non-responsive. I restored the iPhone back to original settings, but the problem continues.

Would Apple replace it for me if I brought it in to their store for repair, even if I don't have any kind of warranty?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

No they arent going to replace it if the warranty is out.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

It's probably not going to help if you have water damage but... you might try an app in Cydia from Big Boss called "Pixel Checker" It checks damaged pixels and will try to fix them.
    I have never used it, but what the heck, give it a try. Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the help.

Are there any other ways, preferably inexpensive, that I can remedy this situation? Would it be possible to simply replace the touchscreen?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

On the 2g....the glass/digitizer and LCD are 1 part and must be replaced that way.

The part however runs between $130-$150.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

There are some pretty good guides on how to do it online

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Before I post my advice, I would like everybody to know that I'm not trying to start a morality debate.

With that said, I think you should take it to the apple store and see what they say. If it is jailbroken, do a restore. If they ask why it has been freshly restored, just say that you wanted to confirm that it isn't a corrupted software issue. They will check it for water damage (I doubt that the few drops you described would cause damage). It sounds like a faulty digitizer. I had the same issue with a 2G that I purchased off a guy on Craigslist for $40. I knew that the warranty was expired and was also registered to someone else. I figured that I had nothing to loose and that maybe I could get a refurb for $199 if they wouldn't replace it. It had no signs of abnormal wear or abuse. When I went in for my appointment, I was informed that there was a batch of 2G iPhones that were known to have faulty digitizers and that my serial was included in that batch. They said that serials from that batch were eligible for out of warranty replacement if the digitizer fails. They took no issue with it being registered to someone else (in fact, they didn't know...they never asked my name). And to top it off, I wasn't even an AT&T customer. I just told them that I left my SIM at home when they offered to activate the replacement for me. So to sum it up, I got a like new, refurbed 2G for $40 and about 30 minutes of my time.

So, I say that you should give it a shot at the Apple store. You've got nothing to lose and my find yourself pleasantly surprised.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moto211 For This Useful Post:

iphonel (06-26-2009)

Thanks

I don't think the Apple Store will still have refurbed 2Gs. But maybe?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    When I did my exchange a couple months ago, my local Apple store had plenty.
    Last edited by moto211; 05-18-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks

really? thats cool

Thanks

I called apple (1800-my-iphon)today because im haveing the same problem (dead sopt) with my phone and they knew nothing about the batch of serials that apple was giveing replacements for. My phone is a 2g im the origional owner and im out of warrienty.
    Last edited by iphonel; 06-26-2009 at 10:32 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Take it into an Apple Store.

They replaced my friend's 2G no questions.

Thanks

was it under warranty? Mine is not. I called my local Apple store and they said there was nothing they could do. I wish I could get a new phone i cant download anything from the App store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No, he has a launch one (bought it the first day it came out)

He just went in, told them what was up and they are like "You're outta your warranty, but its a known problem. Here's your replacement.."

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem except i bought it off someone, and i went to apple store, they said i would have to pay a fee but the "multitouch sensor" is replaceable even if your phone is out of warranty. Just get them to double check because someone else at the store said it wasnt. They didnt have the phone so they placed a order for a new one and went to pick it up the next day.

Banned
    Thanks

Your phone is under warranty for a year when you buy it, fyi.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought it used on craigs list, it is the first gen iphone. The phone was well out of warranty and I got a brand new refurbished one. They said that somethings are still covered if your out of warranty and that was one of them.

Thanks

check the water damage detectors?
    im not sure about the 2G, but with the 2G there is one on the dock connector, and one in the headphone jack. When there are problems, ppl at the iphone store check these indicators to see if the problem is fromwater damage, if not they often give ya a new phone or refurbished if out of warranty as it was said before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lach View Post
    check the water damage detectors?
    im not sure about the 2G, but with the 2G there is one on the dock connector, and one in the headphone jack. When there are problems, ppl at the iphone store check these indicators to see if the problem is fromwater damage, if not they often give ya a new phone or refurbished if out of warranty as it was said before.
    Not I, said the frog. I took my out of warranty 2g with a middle dead strip to the apple store in tampa this past weekend and all they tried to do was blow dust out of my phone, and then tell me theres definetly dead strips and that i could buy a 3g or 3gs for 199. Ha.

/dissapointed.