Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is the Iphone digitizer attached to the lcd?

iPhone? More like MyPhone rodeeze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default Is the Iphone digitizer attached to the lcd?
    My lower part of the screen is not working, from what I have read its the digitizer. The screen glass and LCD work perfectly, I was wondering if anyone knew If the digitizer can be purchased with out the LCD replacement? Or is it just one piece?

Thanks.

I have this same problem, and from what I understand, this issue will become wide-spread. It's amazing that I'm this first reply to this post.

Someone help, I'm only the second vic..

As far as I know, I think it's still one package. Not sure though.

Me too, same issue. Any way to fix this?

The glass is separate from the LCD, not sure about the digitizer, I'm guessing its a whole piece.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

This maybe a stupid question, but wtf is the digitizer?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Digitizer, LCD, & Outer glass
    The outer glass comes fused to the LCD from the Apple factory. The digitizer is the piece that recognizes the user's touches (touch screen). There are outer glass pieces being sold on eBay separately, but are only made to come already on the LCD. Your best option is to buy the whole set (LCD, digitizer, outer glass) as this is the best guarantee that you will get a fully functional set and not a refurbished or pre-owned one. I have taken apart a few and have replaced them as a whole set each time. The first time I tried this, I originally tried to take the broken glass off an LCD screen and it was time consuming, frustrating, and impossible. Please be AWARE that even though your digitizer and LCD might be good and you have a cracked outer glass, they all need to be replaced with a brand new set. Be very careful as this is THE hardest disassembly I have done, but it is possible and doesn't take to terribly long to complete.
    Last edited by peace_in_nc; 08-10-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Default iPhone Digitizer Repair FAQ
    IS THE ORIGINAL IPHONE AND IPHONE 3G LCD, DIGITIZER OR GLASS INTERCHANGEABLE?
    NO. They're different sizes, connectors, etc...

WHAT IS A DIGITIZER?
    On the iPhone, the digitizer is a piece of hardware that works like a mouse trackpad. You cannot see it, as it is transparent. It is located between the LCD and the glass.
    Bottom Line:
    The digitizer is the touchscreen.

CAN APPLE REPAIR MY IPHONE?
    Apple does not perform hardware repairs on iPhones, they replace them and you will lose your data. Many times they give you a refurbished phone. Contact Apple for a quote.

CAN I REPLACE THE DIGITIZER, LCD OR GLASS?

iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
    The 2G iPhone LCD, Digitizer and Glass are all sealed together and cannot be easy disassembled- The whole assembly needs to be replaced and it is an expensive part. The antenna cover is also difficult to take apart without damaging. (we keep extras at our shop because we break them all the time)
    NOTE: Sellers on eBay will try to sell you the just the Glass, but there is nothing you can do with it without a Digitizer.

iPhone 3G (2nd Generation)
    On the iPhone 3G, the LCD is a separate part, the Digitizer and the Glass are still 1 part. (And eBayers will still try and sell you just the glass.) So yes, the LCD or the Glass/Digitizer assembly can be replaced.

---
    Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by Apple Repair New Orleans; 02-09-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Repair New Orleans View Post
    IS THE ORIGINAL IPHONE AND IPHONE 3G LCD, DIGITIZER OR GLASS INTERCHANGEABLE?
    NO. They're different sizes, connectors, etc...

WHAT IS A DIGITIZER?
    On the iPhone, the digitizer is a piece of hardware that works like a mouse trackpad. You cannot see it, as it is transparent. It is located between the LCD and the glass.
    Bottom Line:
    The digitizer is the touchscreen.

CAN APPLE REPAIR MY IPHONE?
    Apple does not perform hardware repairs on iPhones, they replace them and you will lose your data. Many times they give you a refurbished phone. Contact Apple for a quote.

CAN I REPLACE THE DIGITIZER, LCD OR GLASS?

iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
    The 2G iPhone LCD, Digitizer and Glass are all sealed together and cannot be easy disassembled- The whole assembly needs to be replaced and it is an expensive part. The 2G is also difficult to
    NOTE: Sellers on eBay will try to sell you the just the Glass, but there is nothing you can do with it without a Digitizer.

iPhone 3G (2nd Generation)
    On the iPhone 3G, the LCD is a separate part, the Digitizer and the Glass are still 1 part. (And eBayers will still try and sell you just the glass.) So yes, the LCD or the Glass/Digitizer assembly can be replaced.

---
    Did I miss anything?
    Thanks for the info. I am bidding on a broken iPhone and this info was very helpful. I know what I need to buy now to repair.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Apple Repair New Orleans (02-09-2009)