+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help on my ebay iphone pls

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
ok i bought this 2g 8gig 1phone from ebay pretty cheap. the screen and all are in great shape but it had a problem...... when i would put it into
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default help on my ebay iphone pls
    ok i bought this 2g 8gig 1phone from ebay pretty cheap. the screen and all are in great shape but it had a problem...... when i would put it into the dock it would just flash the apple logo over and over, so i tried a restore but i kept getting a 1611 error. i read a bunch of posts i found via google and one said the battery may be at fault so i opened it up just to have a look and low and behold the black battery wire was not connected to the board, so i grabbed my trusty soldering iron and went to work. so heres the problem..... if the black wire is NOT connected the phone will power up (while in the dock only) and i can get it into restore and DFU mode but cannot restore successfully. if i connect the black wire i get nothing at all..... totally dead..... won't power up even while in the dock i get absolutely nothing. ive even taken my multi tester and im getting 3.7v between the black and red while not plugged in and the same between the white and red wires and 0 between the black and white.... i know it can be fixed.... i dont give up easily and im pretty handy with a soldering iron from modding psp's back in the day so im not afraid to jump right into this thing, i just thought id get some feedback since this is my first time in an iphone. any help would be greatly appreciated

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default update**
    ok so i hooked the battery back up and still got nothing, but i tried going into dfu mode while it was docked and i got it to do it, but no display at all. i tried to restore and got a 1601 error...... anyone have any idea whats going on here??

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well, obviously the phone had been opened before if the battery wasnt connected. There is really no telling without examining all the insides....most likely there are other "issues", could be water damage...who knows. A battery is cheap if you wanna start there...but it may be a lost cause.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok i have a battery on the way already but if that isnt the problem wouldnt the logic board be the only other thing it would be? i mean the screen works because it will power up and go into dfu no problem while the battery is unhooked, i just cant get it to restore and when not in dfu or recovery mode it just flashes the apple logo in an endless loop. im already started on this project and im determined to ave a functioning iphone even if i have to replace everything inside the darn thing lol. im just taking it as a learning experience,and i got it for pretty cheap so i can afford to spend a little more money if theres a chance i can get it to work

well i guess im going to replace the logic board, if theres anyone here that has a logic/comm board still together and working lemme know i might just buy it. theres one on ebay right now thats guaranteed and it has a battery for 120.00 so if u can beat that and guarantee its good hit me up
    Last edited by Doomfinger; 05-16-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

There is another member here (one1) that can diagnose it and possibly fix it for you. Very reputable and trustworthy, anyways....just an idea before you go spending alot on it. It may be fixable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok how do i get in contact with him and where is he located. ive actually got the comm board out of it right now and it will go into restore mode and into dfu but won't restore. im thinking it has to have battery power to restore kinda like other phones and like a psp when u flash firmware. does that mean my logic board is still good?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok thanks alot, i sent a PM. hopefully he knows what to do

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had a similar problem with a phone I purchased recently.
    It would go into DFU mode when plugged into the wall charger and the screen would come on. Once you disconnected from the wall it would go black and would not turn on at all. Once you connected it to your computer it would go into DFU mode, but the screen remained blank and the restore failed code "1601". Since the phone would not power on except when it was plugged into the wall I assumed the battery was the culprit, I replaced the battery and the phone worked immediately.

My .02 would be to replace the battery before you invest in any more expensive parts. When you replace the battery make sure you are good with a soldering iron or else take it to someone who is. Also make sure the solder points are covered with silicon or something to prevent it from making contact with the back cover and shorting out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok i replaced the comm board and battery and now it restored like a champ but i have an unresponsive touchscreen. i unlocked and jailbroke using quickpwn and still nothing. i restored in dfu mode and nothing. does this mean i have to replace the lcd/digitizer assembly? or maybe im doing something wrong? if its the digitizer is there anyone on these forums that would have a replacement that i could purchace? im so close to being able to use my new toy....

Thanks

Software can cause that issue......or.....you messed it up while working on it.

If possible, restore to a different FW version. If its still broke then the replacement part is the glass/digitizer/LCD combo (cant replace just the digi) and new it runs between $130-$150.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doomfinger View Post
    ok i replaced the comm board and battery and now it restored like a champ but i have an unresponsive touchscreen. i unlocked and jailbroke using quickpwn and still nothing. i restored in dfu mode and nothing. does this mean i have to replace the lcd/digitizer assembly? or maybe im doing something wrong? if its the digitizer is there anyone on these forums that would have a replacement that i could purchace? im so close to being able to use my new toy....
    They're on eBay UK for 60+, the complete assembly. LCD, Digitizer & outter screen. They're from Hong Kong though so not sure how reliable and durable they are. Maybe worth a shot though. Half the price of a Apple OEM one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi just to let you know I bought one of those from ebay and one1 fitted it for me it did have a slight problem with the connector but one1 sorted that for me he is a genius and I'd recommend him to all who need hardware help. Hope this helps you to decide.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how much did yours cost 'Aly2026'? also how much did you tip One1 or how much did he charge?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok so i installed a new comm board and voila! it restored just fine. the only problem i have now is the touchscreen doesnt respond at all. no response anywhere on the screen. i took it apart again, even removed the screen and i didnt see anything visibly wrong except maybe a little of what looked like corrosion below the 8pin connector right above the ribbon connector with the lock on it..... my question is, has anyone ever heard of a logic board causing the touch screen not to work? because i want to know what to try next, the logic board or the screen. other than no touch the phone operates fine, i even unlocked and jailbroke and it recieves calls with my tmobile sim. and yes i have tried downgrading. im currently running 1.1.4 but still no touch sensitivity. any ideas??

Thanks

Ive seen software cause touch screen issues.

I would restore/upgrade to a newer FW....if the issue persists it is 99% chance the digitizer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well i updated back to 2.2.1 and still no touch..... looks like im in the market for a new touchscreen..... anyone have a touchscreen for a 2g iphone for sale that works good? lol. oh ya and when i re pwned the phone i tried to replace the pineapple logo with a world of warcraft horde crest .png that i made with the same dimensions as the pineapple logo in the data folder that i found in the pwnage folder but it didnt work. all it does is just shows a black screen when it boots now. any way to change that pineapple logo?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ElGriton's Avatar
    Come the Apocalypse I shall be Omnipresent
    Thanks

well i updated back to 2.2.1 and still no touch..... looks like im in the market for a new touchscreen..... anyone have a touchscreen for a 2g iphone for sale that works good? lol. oh ya and when i re pwned the phone i tried to replace the pineapple logo with a world of warcraft horde crest .png that i made with the same dimensions as the pineapple logo in the data folder that i found in the pwnage folder but it didnt work. all it does is just shows a black screen when it boots now. any way to change that pineapple logo?
    Try LogoMe on Cydia & Icy.
    If you're requesting icons PLEASE include the original and the correct spelling. It makes our job 10X easier. Thank you.
    If you we've helped you hit the thanks button. it makes us giggle.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i would try that but as my touchscreen is non functional thats impossible. i just wondered why replacing the pineapple logo with a png of the same dimensions didnt work, shouldnt it have flashed it instead of the pineapple?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ElGriton's Avatar
    Come the Apocalypse I shall be Omnipresent
    Thanks

i would try that but as my touchscreen is non functional thats impossible. i just wondered why replacing the pineapple logo with a png of the same dimensions didnt work, shouldnt it have flashed it instead of the pineapple?
    I was thinking more like after you fixed it.
    If you're requesting icons PLEASE include the original and the correct spelling. It makes our job 10X easier. Thank you.
    If you we've helped you hit the thanks button. it makes us giggle.