+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have I totally destroyed my phone

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Right, I feel a bit stupid now. I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. Figured I would try to fix it, so I bought the new glass off ebay.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Have I totally destroyed my phone
    Right, I feel a bit stupid now.

I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. Figured I would try to fix it, so I bought the new glass off ebay.

As I was removing the lcd screen... crrraaaaackkk... I cracked it a bit in the bottom. Bummer. So I tried putting it all back to see what the damage was.

The picture on the lcd was pretty screwed up. Obviously not much showed around the crack, but the rest of it looked like a pc monitor sometimes looks when not corrected properly. Difficult to describe, but kinda like two images superimposed over eachother. I could just kind of make out what it said. I have tried playing around with the ribbons 1, 2 and 3 figuring it was a loose connection.

Then I took the lcd out again to see if there was anything wierd there, put it back together and now the screen shows nothing. Blank... completely dead. I managed once but just connecting ribbon 1 I think to get the screen to show just white.. But cant get this nomore.

Plugging it into my Mac get I tunes to detect that the phone is in recover mode and must be restored.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

One1? *looks around*

Thanks
    Thanked 9,183 Times in 5,685 Posts

Ouch, that sux. There is a member here "One1" that does repairs, I highly recommend talking to him.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well, you need a new LCD obviously. They are pretty fragile. Whats your question exactly?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess my question is what does it sound like has gone wrong? Is there any hope for me?

I need a new LCD for sure cos of the crack. But Im not sure if that is the complete problem as it kinda worked for a bit with the crack and now it doesnt work at all. I could live with the crack if I could see the rest of the screen.

Whats with the iPhone going into recovery mode? Is this just cos it cant connect to the screen?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok,

Does disconnecting the LCD from the phone cause it to go into Recovery Mode with iTunes?

If it does then I can accept that I have trashed the LCD, or maybe damaged the cable and should get a new one. If not, then it means I have caused deeper problems which would not be fixed by getting a new LCD.

Anyone tried plugging their phone into iTunes without the screen?

Thanks

Thanks

Unplugging the screen should not cause it to go into recovery mode, or never has for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Arrrr bummer..

Any ideas what sort of thing does?

Thanks

Those phones are extremely fragile on the inside...if you opened it up, it could be a bunch of things....honestly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm.. as I feared.

Since it shouldnt go into recovery mode just without the screen, this means I have destroyed more than the screen.

This means getting a replacement screen will not fix the problem.

My phone is destroyed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I doubt your phone is destroyed. I purchased a phone recently from a guy on craigslist that completely trashed the phone and when I picked it up I figured at best it would be a parts phone only. It was doing the same thing you are referring to. The screen was completely broken and did not respond. When you plugged it into Itunes it said it was in recovery mode. I replaced the LCD/Digitizer screen, and the phone was fine. I did have to do a restoral from Itunes but that is a simple step. Odds are good your phone is fine and will take very little to get you back in action.

While these phones are delicate they aren't that delicate. I purchased another one yesterday that looked like someone had used it as a hammer. The back cover was smashed, the screen was smashed, it wouldn't turn on because the power button was jammed due to the bent cover etc. After replacing the screen, back cover, antenna cover and a restore the phone is as good as new.

Patience is a big part of working on these phones.

Good luck and take it to someone who is familiar with replacing the LCD/Digitizer combo.