Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bad cell antenna? DIY replacement?

Thanks

Default Bad cell antenna? DIY replacement?
    My wife told me yesterday her iPhone (2G, my hand-me-down when I got the 3G) had been dropping calls constantly for the last couple days for no apparent reason. It is jailbroken so I figured it was just a software issue which I encounter from time to time. Anyhow, I wiped the phone and reloaded everything but couldn't get it to activate or pull a signal; even did a restore using iTunes without jailbreaking and also did the reset network settings/all setting/etc to no avail. It would never activate or get a signal last night. This morning I brought it to work and it did activate (I believe when I got closer in town to a better coverage area than my house). The phone works as it should but at best with 3 bars of signal so I can only guess the cell antenna has gone bad for some reason.

Has anyone heard of this happening for no apparent reason. The phone has had some light drops in the past, but nothing recent. I guess just buying a new antenna online and replacing it is my best bet now, however, I haven't opened the phone up before. Is it simply just a matter of removing the bottom plastic antenna cover to replace this antenna? Or is more involved? I'd like to just get this thing going again rather than replace it as I plan to just upgrade again this summer if a new model comes out and give her my 3g.

Thanks in advance for any advise, links, etc... to tutorials on how to go about this or where to buy the parts.

I have a similar problem but it should not be too hard. You can go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and there are instructions on how to replace just about everything for the iphone. Good luck and let me know how it turns out cause I have to do the same thing here soon.