Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to use lower part of iPhone screen

Default Unable to use lower part of iPhone screen
    So recently my iphone started acting up... i went to make a phone call the other day and realized i was unable to touch the Call button that it would either go to contacts, or the above #. Also when i try and touch Delete (back space) it dials the * instead..

Also when i go into the TEXT app, same problem occurs, the whole lower line (z-m) doesn't respond to my touch, instead it choses the above letters, as for the delete button that doesnt work either..

When i use safarri same letters don't respond to touch, though when i touch "M" it clicks "GO" instead.

So this is what i did, i restored it, by connecting it to my Macbook, and just hitting restore, causing it to lock. Then i re activated it and jailbroke it and unlocked it with a custom Firmware. And still no luck, so i repeated the above steps 2 more times and still doesn't work.

What's getting me is that the "slide to unlock" works just fine..

My iPhone: running 2.2.1, Jailbroken, Unlocked 2G version

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

after restoring your phone do you restore from your back up? if you do i'd suggest setting your phone up as new as it sounds like some stock files may have been messed up

from what i remember i think i used the back up the first time.. and now i think i set it up as a new one...

did u install anything from ripdev like ripdev prefs or kate?

ive heard of this happening

otherwise its physical damage

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yeah its more than likely a faulty digitizer.

Moved to the new - awesome - thought after - cool - Hardware forum.

i bought a new 3g after having same trouble with my 2year old 2g.
    fullrestore had no effect.
    my 2g is now basically full of music and games a really nice ipod.
    good luck
    SkiHound ,,, Loves his Iphone,

Same thing happened to my buddy, he bought a new one.

So basically i am screwed?... i just restored it and set up as new iphone and still wont work....

So i need a new one?

What should i do with it then?

Should i get the new 3g or wait for the new iPhone to come out.... im currently using a Bold in its place...

I'm not sure if you're completely screwed or not. All I know is that most of the time when that happens it's not fixable.

Come to think of it cpjr is probably the person who can answer your questions. Hes a hardware GENIUS.

Thanks

^Well, dunno bout that

You can fix it.....BUT......

On a 2g the glass/digitizer/LCD is 1 piece and must be replaced that way....the part is $130-$150

This happened to a friend's 2G iPhone..

No damage, just the bottom 1/3rd of the screen wouldn't respond to touch.

He was well out of warranty, but took it to the Apple Store anyway. His wasn't jailbroken or anything, they looked at it, ran the serial and said "You're out of warranty, but this is a known issue. Heres your replacement."

They handed him a shiny new 2G iPhone (I was suprised they still had them)

Take it in, you might get lucky. Just be sure to do a fresh restore before if you've modded it, or else they'll blame the mods.

only problem with that ryan is that i'm not from the States.. i live outside it in Canada... so if i full restore it, it locks up on me.. showing the restore symbol..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

thats perfect, can you atleast slide to unlock? if not you can hold on to it and return it when you get a chance in the states. don't make a trip out of it tho, you might be disapointed.

my friends did the same thing, took it to apple store and they replaced it immediately. but he was at&t, not unlocked or jailbroken. legit activation.

if mine did that, i'd be replacing it like cpjr said. small fee, new feel, while you have it in pieces replace every outer part to make it brand new again lol
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Well i don't think i'll be spending 130-150 on it...

and theres a place near my house that does repairs for $99.

Anyways i was just think like its weird how all other apps work except the phone and Text.. what if i were to FTP and delete those two app folders and then restore using itunes?

Thanks

^If the same area of the screen works in some apps and not others....then it could be a software issue after all. Ive seen that too.

I would certainly restore it then.

Well i don't mean just connect iphone to itunes and hit restore.. cuz that doesn't do anything done that multiple times..

Also ive ran Multiple custom firmwares on it with and without cydia and installer.. nothing seemed to help

Do you think i should FTP and delete the Phone applications and Text applications folder via FTP ?

Thanks

My opinion would be to fix it for $99 or buy the digitizer complete unit for $130-150 and get it fixed because a 3G runs $600-700 on ebay so even if it costs you $200 to fix your iphone your still in good shape financial wise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Plug the phone into the wall (not the computer) on a charger. go to settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings.

This will take 2 hours. It's a complete all zero's wipe of the HD and fresh flash. It'll clean your cobwebs out for good ad if it doesn't work after that, it's hardware.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s