Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: dropped iphone 3g, screen is messed up

Default dropped iphone 3g, screen is messed up
    so i just dropped my iphone 3g
    the screen is just a bunch of vertical multicolored lines (no visible cracks)
    the digitizer is intact, and the rest of the phone functions
    i can use the touchscreen, receive/make calls based on my knowledge of the buttons.
    is this a broken LCD or could it be a deeper problem?

Ya I think that's just the LCD. buy a new one for $50 from pdaparts.com and type in YOUTUBE as the coupon code when you buy it so u get 5% off. And search up toutube how to replace the LCD.

Thanks

You managed to crack the LCD and the glass is still in one piece?

The LCD is a very easy replacement.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Yup, yup and yup.

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

Its just a broken LCD. There are a total of 6 screws to remove and you slip out the LCD. Gently pry up the lcd from the metal LCD frame. Cut a few thin strips of double sided tape to adhere the new LCD down and put it back in. Thats it.

Dont try taking it to apple like that, theyll void your warranty for user damage!

I was not as lucky with my drop, I dropped my iPhone 3G and cracked the screen. I went to apple and they told me the repair would be $199+. I was furious that they could charge that kind of money. My friend told me that he had the same problem and he got his phone repaired at iPhone 3G Screen Repair: iPhone 3GS Screen Repair: iPhone 3G LCD Repair: iPhone 3GS LCD Repair for only $69. I tried them and I was very happy with my repair. I would recommend them to anybody looking for a screen repair.

non
    Last edited by Jdub9563; 07-20-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catriple View Post
    Its just a broken LCD. There are a total of 6 screws to remove and you slip out the LCD. Gently pry up the lcd from the metal LCD frame. Cut a few thin strips of double sided tape to adhere the new LCD down and put it back in. Thats it.

Dont try taking it to apple like that, theyll void your warranty for user damage!
    You seriously used double sided tape?

There is a sheet that you remove off the new LCD that reveals adhesive material...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You can try by paying US$30 on ebay, which included the glass, touch screen digitizer, two plastic spudgers and shipping from a domestic seller. You can buy just the glass face, but it's hard to tell whether the digitizer is damaged without disassembly, and it looks hard to separate and glue together well, I don't think it's worth cheaping out like that.

Add a razor blade, a hot air blower (intense auto shop version of a hair dryer) and maybe half an hour and it's replaced. It's not for the faint of heart, so it's probably best to get it replaced professionally if you're not into intense DIY work. The third party services I found started at $150. I don't blame them for charging that, I probably would too.

I didn't have a case for it at the time, which probably would have prevented all this. The previous case tore apart and I didn't like any that were on the market at the time, but that was a mistake. I should have at least gotten any ugly silicone case available to pass the time until better cases were made available.
    mod/edit links removed

when you dropped your iphone, was it in a protective case ?