+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water Sensor

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So, my little cousin innocently put my phone into a puddle of water... Now I think it goes without saying my phone is kinda screwed up. I'm letting it sit
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Water Sensor
    So, my little cousin innocently put my phone into a puddle of water... Now I think it goes without saying my phone is kinda screwed up. I'm letting it sit in some rice for now, my problem is that I'm colorblind, I'd rather my parents not know about it, lest the poor guy get the ***** beat out of him, and I can't tell if the sensor is pink or white. Is there another way I can tell, about all I can see is that it's really shiny down there xD

Also, I recall someone suggesting bleach/white out to make it white again, any follow up to those methods?

Thanks

Does it even turn on? I know i dropped my razr in a pool once. got it out took it apart and stuck it in the oven on 350 for about 3 minutes and it worked fine. Not gonna try that with my iphone. and Idk how you would get the dot back to white. maybe like white out on a toothpick?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Hmmm, not gonna get much help on scamming Apple. And they can still tell, and there's actually 2 sensors.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've heard. But I thought the other sensor was actually inside the phone, meaning they'd need to open it to check. Anyways, I was more wondering if there was a better way to check out the dot...I really can't tell and it's bothering me :P

Thanks

DO NOT TRY AND TURN IT ON.

If something electrical gets submerged in water:

1) Remove the battery ASAP

(If the battery cannot be removed)

2) Turn it off and leave it off.

The 2 screws on the bottom, undo them then use a suction cap to lift the screen off. Be careful because there are still 3 connectors on the inside, as you lift the screen these become visible and you can disconnect them.

Remove the screen then run some pure alcohol over the inside of the phone and use a cotton bud to go over the conenctors for the screen.

NOW put it into a bag of rice and leave it somewhere warm.

Leave a couple days and you should be good. I had an iPhone that was repeatedly switched on after getting wet and the screen was all fuzzy, i folowed these steps and got it back on again.

HOWEVER, if you have tried to turn the phone on already then you may have done more permanent damage than was done initially, if possible.

Pure alcohol screws up the battery aswell, so even if it does work you may need to replace the battery.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I heard there is a sensor inside the connector at the bottom of the iPhone.. If you look closley you can see a white strip

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderLee View Post
    I heard there is a sensor inside the connector at the bottom of the iPhone.. If you look closley you can see a white strip
    I have a first generation, if that makes any difference, I don't see the strip..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lol ur dead that happened to me i followed various (about 10 including the one posted above)instructions to scam att like that and it didnt work you couldnt tell at all it was water damaged except for the fact the screen didnt work and they still knew!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

they have their ways

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have taken back many iphones to the genius bar. What I did was put some white auto paint on a toothpick and colored the dot inside the microphone jack. Ive also opened it up and taken out the paper and ran a strip of white out roller. They've had many defective screens and willing to replace phones for free. 9 out of 10 the guy has been cool and have replaced my phones to new ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alias213 View Post
    I have a first generation, if that makes any difference, I don't see the strip..
    I don't believe the first-gen phone has the other sensor on the bottom, only the 3G... Is the sensor in the headphone jack red/pink or white?
    Respect your elders.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

its not a sensor, its a strip. its a color strip. color gets changed by water.

on 3g its headphone jack and dock connector area. you want to see it, use what they use, an ear scope.

Thanks

Sensor = Strip. Same thing...
    Respect your elders.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Darn >.<

So, my phone works again, but my touchscreen doesn't, I'm thinking of trying the alcohol trick, would that work after its already dry?

Thanks

^No.

But on a 3g the glass/digitizer part is less than $30. And you need the adhesive to apply it which is like $6.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderLee View Post
    i can see a little pink dot haha

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^No.

But on a 3g the glass/digitizer part is less than $30. And you need the adhesive to apply it which is like $6.
    What about for the first generation phone? Mind linking me?

Thanks

Well, on a first-gen you have to replace the entire screen assembly, because the pieces are fused together.

The part is around $150.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Darn that's not THAT much better than just taking it to the apple store and getting a new one..

So, in the mean time, is there anyway I can use my phone, as an ipod? I recall Veency, but that would require me to be able to turn it on initially, which I can't do without touch screen. I already have Jaadu and Logmein, but I doubt either of those will allow me to access my iphone from my computer. So basically, is there a way to use my phone through usb? >.>

Also, other than the apple store, will stores(i.e. best buy, cingular, walmart) that sell the iphone be able to take it?
    Last edited by alias213; 04-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

With all this talk about water/humidity in the iphone, even CNN is reporting about this.
    Moisture, cold irritate some smart phone users - CNN.com
    so i got me this.
    DealExtreme: $1.38 Anti-Dust Kit for iPhone and iPhone 3G
    can't go wrong for 2 bucks!