+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Daaamn, I broke my iPhone screen :( What can I do now and what options do I have ?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I have 8gb iPhone 3G that I normally keep in a case that protects the screen. For some crazy weird reason I took the case off that day and
    iPhone? More like MyPhone bunnywhi7e's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Daaamn, I broke my iPhone screen :( What can I do now and what options do I have ?
    Hi,

I have 8gb iPhone 3G that I normally keep in a case that protects the screen. For some crazy weird reason I took the case off that day and kept the iphone naked for the rest of the day. Went to pick up my mom from work and as I was getting out, the phone slips out of my sweatpants pocket and hits the concrete face-first. After picking it up, I immediately noticed the screen broke. Now I have a broken-glass iPhone great. I'm pretty much addicted to this device and with this glass broken it takes away its true beauty. One drop on the concrete and the screen is broken ????? give me a break. Anyways, the phone still works like new and at this point I have a few options that I don't really know which are the best one to pick. I called ATT&APPLE and told them what happened. They say, I would have to pay $199 to get a refurbished iPhone from them. I'd also have to send them my iPhone. The rep. told me it takes 6 weeks for them to fix a broken glass. 6 FREAKING WEEKS

So, I lose my phone and I have to pay $199 AGAIN, this time for a refurbished phone. I mean, is this the only SAFE option...? How reliable are these refurbished iphones ?

2ND option I have is purchasing the material needed to fix the broken screen. I have no idea how to do this myself or where to get all the necessarily parts & tools. This probably is the best option if you want to save money and keep your phone, but the process is complicating as hell, at least to me.

And the 3rd, final option which I'm not a big fan of is, I can keep my phone the way it is, and accept the broken screen. It's not shattered or anything like that. Just a line that is visible. Other than this, the phone works just like when I first got it.

Is there a place where someone can fix the broken glass people who own iphone suffered.??

Thanks alot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

hi, u can go PDAparts: iPhone Service, iPhone Repair, Broken iPhone, iPhone Parts & iPhone LCD and buy the screen or digitizer, whichever is cracked and they are cheap just 29-39 dollars.

and they have a video on how to replace the screen and there are a lot of vids on youtube.

or if it is just a small scratch that u can live with then just keep it the same way.

i have one on my screen on top that is very light and with the screen protector on it's barely visisble.(someone kicked a football at my hand while talking on my iPhone. i hated how it looks and wanted to buy a new screen but soon i forgot about it):P lol

but if u cant live with it then just buy one from pdaparts.com

or maybe u can send it to a member here to fix for u????
    Last edited by Miro89; 04-08-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Id say keep it and say "FU" to apple. It's an easy $40-$60 fix. If you have common sense and you're not a total "me tarzan, you jane" guy, you'll be able to figure out how to replace the screen. Best of Luck to you
    Last edited by theguy386; 04-08-2009 at 09:41 AM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yeah the part (glass and digitizer as 1 piece) is less than $30 on ebay. You CANT replace just the glass, have to buy the piece that includes the digitizer.

Then, you'll need the adhesive meant for the job....which is around $6 and can be ordered online also.

The screen assembly is removed from the phone, you will need to pull the LCD out then rip off the old glass/digi (sorta a pain but very do-able)....clean the frame removing any leftover "goo" and apply the new.

My iPhone is a Part of Me cellmate75's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude!!!!!!
    I broke my screen and took it to apple and they gave me a whole new iphone!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Walk in to the apple store and say that the screen was fine before you went to bed and when you woke up you smelled something burning and then your screen made a popping noise and cracked.

Let us know how that works for ya.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Tell em Steve Jobs came to your house....said "you are not worthy" and threw your phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 4
    I broke my iPhone 4 screen and Apple would not help me. I looked into buying a new one and the cost was $600 + without a contract. I couldn't upgrade because I was a new AT&T customer and I didn't have insurance. Thankfully, I found RepairZoom (iPhone Repair - iPod Repair - iPad Repair). They fixed my phone for much less than buying a new one and had the repair done the same day. I did look into doing it myself, but you can risk damaging the inside board and if you do it will cost more to fix than to buy a new one. I am so thankful for the RepairZoom's help with my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Thanks

^ This comment was brought to you today by RepairZoom!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
    Hi,

I have 8gb iPhone 3G that I normally keep in a case that protects the screen. For some crazy weird reason I took the case off that day and kept the iphone naked for the rest of the day. Went to pick up my mom from work and as I was getting out, the phone slips out of my sweatpants pocket and hits the concrete face-first. After picking it up, I immediately noticed the screen broke. Now I have a broken-glass iPhone great. I'm pretty much addicted to this device and with this glass broken it takes away its true beauty. One drop on the concrete and the screen is broken ????? give me a break. Anyways, the phone still works like new and at this point I have a few options that I don't really know which are the best one to pick. I called ATT&APPLE and told them what happened. They say, I would have to pay $199 to get a refurbished iPhone from them. I'd also have to send them my iPhone. The rep. told me it takes 6 weeks for them to fix a broken glass. 6 FREAKING WEEKS

So, I lose my phone and I have to pay $199 AGAIN, this time for a refurbished phone. I mean, is this the only SAFE option...? How reliable are these refurbished iphones ?

2ND option I have is purchasing the material needed to fix the broken screen. I have no idea how to do this myself or where to get all the necessarily parts & tools. This probably is the best option if you want to save money and keep your phone, but the process is complicating as hell, at least to me.

And the 3rd, final option which I'm not a big fan of is, I can keep my phone the way it is, and accept the broken screen. It's not shattered or anything like that. Just a line that is visible. Other than this, the phone works just like when I first got it.

Is there a place where someone can fix the broken glass people who own iphone suffered.??

Thanks alot.
    I feel bad for you brother.

PM me your address and I'll send you a free digitiser kit to get that replaced

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Fix it yourself it's really easy!!! ifixit.com has great tutorials for these fixes!! $60 and 30-40 minutes for a first timer n your back in business!!! I'd recommend u get the whole front minus the LCD screen.