Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reassembled and Now Camera Doesn't Work

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Reassembled and Now Camera Doesn't Work
    I disassembled my iphone to paint the back plate and putting it back together i had a little trouble keeping the camera cable attatched. I am pretty sure it was securely attached the final time i closed everything up. I power on the phone and everything is normal except the camera. The camera icon you push to take a picture is grayed out inferring that option is not available or i can not push that button to take a picture. I can select the picture button next to it to take me to my picture.

The shutter is acting normal as well. When i select the camera icon off the homescreen, the camera opens normal and the shutter opens normal but the screen(viewfinder) is black and i can not take a picture.

Right now i selected settings>general>reset>all settings/media

the one that resets everything and takes about 2 hours. So we'll see what that does and if it fixes the problem. Anyone else had this issue?

If i were you i would try the soft reboot first which is holding down the power&home button at the same time before the reset all settings...

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Either the cable is still loose or you messed it up.

Thanks

that kinda worries me cuz i wanna do than...
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Thanks

Im a little confused because neither on a 2g or a 3g.....you should be messing with the camera cable to do anything with the housings. Or completely disassemble the phone.

So, theres a pretty good chance its messed up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How did you paint it? is there a chance that you didn't take out the lens glass and painted that????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Im a little confused because neither on a 2g or a 3g.....you should be messing with the camera cable to do anything with the housings. Or completely disassemble the phone.

So, theres a pretty good chance its messed up.
    Call me outrageous but i wanted to have a different color iPhone without having to pay $150 to colorware. Techs take them apart all the time to replace batteries, screens, cameras. There are plenty of reasons you would need to take them apart and great video tutorials on how to and what everything is, so it's quite the learning process!

as an update: I tried all different kinds of reboots and restores and i did not paint the lens(i can see clearly through it). So i restored everything back to factory and took it in to apple, within 10 min of telling him all the restores i had done, he said he wouldn't waste my time with more restores and gave me a new one to start fresh with.

Thanks

^I understand that, I take them apart all the time too....check my sig links. I do repairs for people on this forum.

But you dont mess with the camera at all to completely disassemble the phone. So throw away whatever guide your using. The camera is attached to the mainboard via a ribbon cable and does not come off....it comes out with the mainboard.

And there's also no way you told Apple you took the phone apart....otherwise they would not have warrantied it.

I took mine apart also and have taken tons of them apart and for some reason my camera doesn't work ether. so if you find something out let me know.

PS I have even replaced the camera with a new one that I know worked in a different phone and it still didn't work and took it back out and put it back in the first phone and it worked fine. I'm Baffled.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Make sure when you seat the camera in the new housing and screw the MOBO down that it doesn't lift up on the camera plug due to the new housing not matching up well.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

But you dont mess with the camera at all to completely disassemble the phone. So throw away whatever guide your using. The camera is attached to the mainboard via a ribbon cable and does not come off....it comes out with the mainboard.
    Yea I realized that after everything was out that i could unscrew the holder and pop the camera out. Wish i had of done that in the first place but couldn't see that clip holder on the camera.

And there's also no way you told Apple you took the phone apart....otherwise they would not have warrantied it.
    Your right I didn't, like I said, I told them that my camera stopped working and I had tried all the possible restores. He said well I won't waste your time then with a basic iTunes restore and replaced the phone under warranty.

Thanks

^Well, at least it worked out