Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: water damaged 1gen 16gb iPhone?

Default water damaged 1gen 16gb iPhone?
    I just bought a 1st Gen, 16gb iPhone for $20 bucks from a work buddy. His glass screen is badly broken and cracked. It still worked though... even the touch screen when he had it. The reason he sold it to me is cause he was at a party and dropped it into a pool. So now its water damaged. He wasn't able to get it back on, so he took it as a lost and bought a new 3g. When I got it home I pluged my charger to it to see what would happen and what do you know... it turned ON, and started chargeing!

I let it comletely charge and it looks like to me... just the touch screen will need to be repaced. I can hardly get it to "slide to unlock" nor "slide to power off" with out trying 600 hundred times. Once unlocked just the mid-screen works. I took it as cause the huge cracks were at the top and at the bottom of the screen, so the water must have just effected that. I tryed putting my sim in it to see if I could make/take calls but It says I can't use my sim and to connect to iTunes. This might be happening cause I don't think he unlocked it when he jailbroke it.

I don't really see any signs of real water damage on the out side looks. But what would anyone think about the inside??

Thanks

Yeah, they'll be able to tell at Apple/AT&T and it could pose a problem further down the road. If it was fairly recently, you can always try to put it in some rice, but I don't know if it's anything I'd feel safe pouring money into when it may not last.
    Respect your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Yeah, they'll be able to tell at Apple/AT&T and it could pose a problem further down the road. If it was fairly recently, you can always try to put it in some rice, but I don't know if it's anything I'd feel safe pouring money into when it may not last.

What else could be damaged in it? I already knew AT&T/Apple wouldn't take anyway... Any water damage is all your loss. I'm thinking at the most a new battey & new touch screen...

Thanks

I'm not the expert on water damage, I just know it can mess things up a while later down the road. cpjr could probably tel you about things a little more in depth...
    Respect your elders.