Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing the backplate

Hybrid View

Default Replacing the backplate
    Hi everyone, recently my 8gb 1st gen iphone's backplate has been damaged.. its all smudged and scratched, n theres a little scratch on the screen, i dropped it since then the camera gets static on it but squeezing it by the earpiece fixes it. so i basically have a few questions

1. I want to replace the back plating, I have seen tutorials on how to open it, me being a slightly techy i can probably open it with a good tutorial, problem is the tutorial just shows how to open it up, the internal parts, buttons, headphone jacks, there is nothing about it, i heard that some parts are glued on to the plate which u have to remove n put on the new one, is it possible somone can provide me with a real good step by step tutorial??

2. Since I am going to open it up, I can probably replace or repair the camera, I am guessing its a loose cable since, every time the static shows up and i squeeze the camera and the earpiece it fixes, is there a better camera available like more mega pixels?? i would love to put it in.

3. I looked up a few assemblies on ebay and a few other sites, they also come with the screen, my glass screen has a minor scratch on it and im a perfectionist lol, I want it gone, but those say those are plastic ones... what would u guys recommend if i should leave the screen alone and just do the bezel and backplate swap?? and a screen changing tutorial would be appreciated too.

I really like this website everytime im looking for solution for an iphone related problem, i get answers on this website . I would like to thank everyone who have kept this website running

Here is a photo of the plating im intending to buy, see how inside theres nothing no mounting. I was looking for a tutorial which would tell me how to replace that too.

Last edited by b.st0ne; 03-10-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: to post a picture

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

ifixit.com has good guides for disassembly. Yes, there are several parts glued to the inside of the housing you will need to remove. You can find replacement housings on ebay, even in different colors.

And on a 2g, the glass, digitizer and LCD are 1 piece....you cant just replace the glass alone. Trying to separate the pieces will break them. And the screen assembly is gonna run you about $150.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

b.st0ne (03-15-2009)

I did look at the ifixit tutorial, what i dont get is. How to remove the other glued parts and replace them in the new one?? can i find ones on ebay with those already in?? like the thing through which the screws go in and hold it to the main phone?

Thanks

You have 2 options:

1. Remove all the parts from the old housing and glue them back into the new housing (this is what I do).

2. Buy a fully assembled oem housing...it'll run yeah nearly $100.

Its way cheaper to remove the old parts and use crazy glue to apply them to the new housing.

And the kits you see on ecaseshop.com, you can find the same stuff on ebay alot cheaper And its the same stuff.

I do alot of that stuff, click my sig links.

PS- Tip: There are rails on the left and right inside of the housing, these are nearly impossible to replace in the new housing and ARENT needed, leave them off. The housing will fit perfect and will be tight without them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

b.st0ne (03-15-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    You have 2 options:

PS- Tip: There are rails on the left and right inside of the housing, these are nearly impossible to replace in the new housing and ARENT needed, leave them off. The housing will fit perfect and will be tight without them.
    maybe they are used for cushioning???

thanks, do you have to be very precise in gluing them?? i dont want to risk messing it up. and what do you use to remove the glue in the first place?? what kind of dissolving solution? i dont see any markings on the pictures of the new case. so is it very hard and accurate to replace those? sorry i wanna be safe n not mess up the phone im in love with this thing

Thanks

Well, I dont think its that hard to do...but im used to it.

Its not hard to place the parts where they need to go, you'll get it when its in front of you.

I use a small amount of goo-gone, you just need to be careful with it. That and carefully work the pieces loose.
    Last edited by cpjr; 03-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

b.st0ne (03-15-2009)

ok im gonna give it a shot next week when i recieve the item in shipping and ebay rocks 8.99 compared to 25

Thanks

And if its black you want, this is what it will look like:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

b.st0ne (03-15-2009)

Thanks

They "clip" the housing to the screen. They are used for attachment. But it really doesnt need em.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

b.st0ne (03-15-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So did you try it? I bought a casing through ebay and i took it to a guy to change it but he started telling me about the rails and gluing the stuff.
    SO let us know if it is ok so i o due the samething.

Thanks

^Dont even install the side rails, you'll never get em lined up properly and they are a pain to get tight.

Installing the housing without them, you wont ever notice they arent there. I have done several this way, all worked/looked perfect.

ok i tried it the side rails broke while trying to pry them off with goo gone extreme. den i glued the ones needed for buttons on and it wont fit on my iphone the vibrate key is jammed too and also volume buttons u have to push in with your nails to get it working

Yeah I was thinking about doing this too.

But after talking to cpjr and reading some older threads it just isn't worth it.

I am also thinking about doing this. After taking a look at the guide it didn't seem that hard. From the looks of it, it seems like removing the glue and gluing it back is the hardest part. I do have a few questions though.

1. Where is the best place to buy the tools to open the phone?
    2. After applying the goo gone and removing the parts that are glued in is it necessary to wash the parts with alcohol or something?
    3. Is it possible to add too much goo gone?
    4. How sensitive are the cables? Are they really easy to break? I have a 2g btw.

These questions probably look really retarded, but I'm trying to cover every single aspect before I go toying around with a $200 piece of equipment.

Thanks

1. I would buy tools off ebay and type iphone housing and see the pry tools.
    2. Study ifixit and youtube videos showing how to do it til your comfortable there is no rush.
    3. I would use a cotton swab slightly saturated with goo gone over those areas glued.
    4. Use tweezers and map your parts or take digital photos of your process one step at a time. This is how i prepare and make good repairs on several electronic.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

ZaWorld (05-06-2009)

Thanks for all the info!

I just bought the same case from a Hong Kong Ebay seller, Black metal housing. Now here's a new question I have: The original Apple case has the screw holes already drilled into the metal, whereas the black housing from Hong Kong has no pre-drilled screw holes. Am I to assume I will not be using screws, and using super glue only?

Alright so I finally ordered my parts off of ebay and while studying youtube videos, I noticed that the method used in this video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1z0pw2VK7M[/ame]
    to open the case is different from the method provided in ifixit. I was wondering if you could tell me which method is the better one to use.
    Last edited by ZaWorld; 05-12-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks

^The ifixit.com guide is good. I havent even looked at that video, but I wouldnt use it.

quick question on the 2g case from ecase cpjr? What did you do about the headphone hole up top since the ecase version has no molded in piece for the jack to fit snug in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast