+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Removing 2G Housing Rails?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi! Has anyone managed to successfully remove the internal "rails" or "skeleton" inside the 2G's alluminium back cover? I'd like to replace my rear panel with a new one (they're
    iPhone? More like MyPhone briangriffin's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Removing 2G Housing Rails?
    Hi!

Has anyone managed to successfully remove the internal "rails" or "skeleton" inside the 2G's alluminium back cover?

I'd like to replace my rear panel with a new one (they're allover eBay) but most of the cheaper panels don't come with, and therefore require removal of, the rails / power button / headphone jack from the donor case.

I'm happy with the power button / headphone jack assemblies but the rails seem to be glued in place.

Is there any magic (or a YouTube vid!) that someone knows of?

Thanks,

Steve

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

A LITTLE dash of Goof Off will help along with just easing them off with a small flat head.

HOWEVER...all you need to install on the new housing is the top rail. Forget the side rails....they are useless, you will never get them aligned correctly and you wont know they are missing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

briangriffin (03-04-2009)

Thanks

Aha! Many thanks for the tip.

I read with **great** excitement your comment about not having to remove the side rails! :-)

Until I got to thinking about how the replacement case would be screwed back on. As I understand it the holes for the two tiny screws that I took out when removing the original rear panel are part of the side rails themselves?

Thus; without the side rails how does the aluminum part of the rear case fix back in place? The black plastic antenna cover only slots on unless I were to Super Glue it there, and even then it would mean the black plastic cover would be the only thing holding itself and the aluminum section to the phone.

Unless I've missed something...

Thanks again though.

Steve

Thanks

When I did mine, I used a liquid, not gel, epoxy remover (GOO B-gone). Placed the backing in a sandwich size ziplock bag, then added the epoxy remover. Let it soak for about 3 or so hours and presto. the railings slipped off the old case cover without difficulty, and without residue on the parts themselves, yet left residue of epoxy intact on the old case, making proper placement on the new cover a snap!!!!!!!!

Thanks

The side rails dont have any screw slots you need.

The new housing will fit tight enough to hold itself into place. I do all mine this way and have never had one get even loose.

Thanks

Hi,

That's really interesting, thanks.

We are talking about the same thing though? When removing the back panel of my 2G I take off the black plastic antenna cover, then two tiny screws which allow me to lift the aluminum panel.

Are you saying that when I put my shiny new housing back on I need neither the siderails from my old scratched housing (yay!) OR to screw back the two tiny screws? Simply the snugness of the aluminum and the plastic antenna cover hold things in place?

Thanks again.

Steve

Thanks

Im talking about the SIDE RAILS.....THE STIPS THAT GO DOWN THE SIDES.

The piece that the screws go in.....is glued to the bottom center of the housing....not the sides.