Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cracked Screen

Default Cracked Screen
    Hey guys, my gf's iphone (3G) screen broke today. I did some research but im still not too sure about some things. i have a few questions that i hope you guys can answer:
    1- Is the screen (front panel) and the digitizer the same thing?
    2- If different, how do i know which one i need to replace?

There are no black marks or anything under the cracks so i think it's just the front screen but i'm not sure how hard it is to replace. I saw the 5 min video on youtube, which looks fairly easy but i'm not sure.

It would be helpful if you guys could direct me to some websites that sell the required items to replace the necessary item(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc03434.jpg   -dsc03432.jpg  
    Last edited by soopersingh; 02-26-2009 at 09:28 PM.

im pretty sure the 3g screen is both the front panel AND the digitizer together. i would suggest consulting cpjr about hardware questions. he knows his stuff there and probably knows the best places to order the stuff you need
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You will need to buy the glass/digitizer combo. You can grab em off ebay for around $30. Then you'll need the adhesive ($6) from etechparts.com

The glass and digitizer arent 1 piece per say....but are put together as one piece.

thanks for the quick response guys, i've attached a few pictures if that helps. i think i've got my answer though

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You got your answer.....you need a new glass/digi. And dont break the LCD when you take the screen assembly apart, it is about as strong as a saltine cracker.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey guys i live in kansas city, mo, cracked my screen and found this place in kansas city, ks. Mission repair, they fixed my screen and digitizer in 2 hours. perfect work and only 115.00. google mission repair.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

^ is good for who just wants a fix, but for people who want to save DIY can be good.

though when replacing my digitizer, getting the original one off wasn't just as easy as pulling it off.

I used a blow dryer to loosen the adhesive strips that you need to replace like cpjr said.

took me maybe 15 minutes to get the digitizer off, the adhesive seems to be very strong
    Last edited by Jordo_6; 03-15-2009 at 02:56 AM.