Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with earphone speaker install - 3g

Default Help with earphone speaker install - 3g
    I have to replace the earspeaker, proximity cable and clip on a 3g.

Although there are plenty of places to purchase the items, none of the popular videos, e.g., pdaparts, ifixit, etc, show or comment on this repair/mod.

Does anyone have a link to a video, text description and/or pictures showing how the items fit together?

I originally broke the touchscreen glass, and the damage was extensive - when I took it apart, it had cut through part of the mid-board (thing that holds the glass and lcd), and the earpiece part has separated. I really am not 100% sure how it goes together - have some idea.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

shelley

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Are you sure you busted the earpiece speaker or just the flex cable piece? Its a breeze to swap out, just take a small flat head and pop the clip out, comes off in 1 piece which has the flex cable attached....then pop in the new one.

I havent seen a vid detailing it.

Both are broken - the flex cable was cut in two!, and the earpiece was separated. Thus I didn't have the luxury of knowing how the two were initially coupled.

I bought a new flex cable - they call it the earpiece sensitization cable. My earpiece clip is functional - I can attach it to the midboard. And I can basically tell how the flex cable attaches to the clip - it probably has some glue/contact cement to hold them together, though. What I was confused about, was how to attach the earpiece to the flex cable. There are tracks on the flex cable that are correlated to one side of the earpiece module. That much seems clear. I wonder if the earpiece is held in by contact force only? I've seen some who have asked whether it has to be soldered on.

http://www.hyratech.com/US-iPhone-3G...cat=679&page=1

Looks to me right in the top middle is where you would orient the earpiece module.

Thanks for answering.

Thanks

Contact only.

The earpiece "sits" inside the frame and the cable/clip, then clips over it and makes contact.

Thanks.

So, the order would be: Mid-board, earpiece, flex cable and clip - the clip keeps everything constrained.

I don't have that little silvery, lack of better word, faceplate that goes on the front of the mid-board - when the iphone is together its subtle, but its absence can be observed if you are looking for it. I would guess its more cosmetic than functional. I couldn't find any place to get that. The mid-board I bought had nothing, not even the home button on it. I suppose I could rig up some mesh, but it so tiny

Nice job on your red iphone btw. Now that mine is apart, I'm so tempted...!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

lucky i busted the conector on the main board so my ear piece is super low. very sad. but my screen is mint again darn double edged sword
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Ok, cpjr or barkingsheltie, or anyone else that could help?!

I have decided to replace my glass screen + black chassis that the screen glues to.

I needed to swap ut the sensor + home flex cable. I got the sensor + home flex cable out easily, not a problem, but the in ear speaker was clipped into the black chassis.

When trying to get it out, i just lost my temper and obliterated it. Its in pieces now.

I can see the new in ear speakers on ebay and they are cheap, but how do i fit it and how do you safely remove the old one?

It looks as though the new one will just push in and be held in place by the sensor flex/metal backing, which pressure connects to the speaker. is this right?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance if you can help me!!

I think ive opened my own question.

I can see it is stuck down with double sided tape/glue, white tape/glue which is different to the stuff the glass is stuck with.

Removing it safely looks impossible. I used the smallest flat headed terminal screwdriver i could and tried to pry it, but it just shattered

It looks like the new one will literally just push into the rectangular hole, and ill stick it down with some double sided tape as before.

If someone could just confirm this it would put my mind to rest before the earpiece speaker comes.

Now ive got a couple days with no iPhone whatsoever. Sucks
    Last edited by reeko; 06-04-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

The earpiece cable can be popped out with a small flathead screwdriver. It does clip like you said....using the flathead on the underside/topside and pulling up or down will allow you to pull it off (pry the clips off the frame).

And the new one pops right in.

Once you get the flathead in the right spot...you'll see its easy.

Thanks

Ye i can see it now ive got it off. The metal plate underneath is sought of imbedded in the plastic, i got my flat head screwdriver under the metal plate something and broke it all

New earpiece speaker on its way and ive got a new black chassis so will look fine after.

CPJR, you should make a definitive guide for dissassembling the iPhone 3G fully, every last bit, and put it on here. The info for this stuff is either non existent, scattered around the interwebz or just not easy to find?!
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

^Noted.

I am wanting to work on that and a few other guides. Maybe I can get some stuff posted in the next week or 2.

Hi Guys,
    I made a crack/split on my iPhone 3G ribbon cable #3 when I was reassembling my phone after changing the battery.
    Now my speaker and proximity and light sensor does not work.

I would like to replace the cable. I found it even cheaper on eBay for $4 here:
    Iphone 3G OEM Proximity Light Sensor Flex Cable - eBay (item 250461774686 end time Aug-08-09 19:51:58 PDT)

[If in the future the link is dead look for "Iphone 3G OEM Proximity Light Sensor Flex Cable " from seller - best4you88]

Anyhow, is there a guide/ video on how to replace the cable? I have just ordered the part and very much like to fix it myself

Also, how deep must I insert the ribbon cable into the slot? Must the white line go all the way in?

Thanks a lot for the help, it is most appreciated!

David