+ Reply
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Those look very nice. I'll be buying a green and blue housing for my next mods.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis916 View Post
    Thanks. I really like the green and blue

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My Mod
    So I tried my own mod.

I sanded down my shell and painted it and here it is put back together:

BUT ... it did not get past the Apple logo. So here are a couple things that I think it could be - because I was very careful with the components and putting it back together.

1. I put in an 1800 mah battery that I bought from Ecell.
    2. I connected a couple cables out of order

Will connecting out of order ruin my main board? I put #6 connector down first, then #5 and then 4.

I turned it on and got the dead battery icon. So I plugged it in and I get the Apple but then it goes out. Never gets past that.

Any experience with this? Is my iPhone screwed?

Anyway - it was great finding this forum and seeing you guys modding yours.

Let me know if my phone is now toast!

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

does anybody airbrush their own? how does it feel when you're done if you do.....does it feel gritty??
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMBEAVER View Post

BUT ... it did not get past the Apple logo. So here are a couple things that I think it could be - because I was very careful with the components and putting it back together.

1. I put in an 1800 mah battery that I bought from Ecell.
    2. I connected a couple cables out of order

Will connecting out of order ruin my main board? I put #6 connector down first, then #5 and then 4.

I turned it on and got the dead battery icon. So I plugged it in and I get the Apple but then it goes out. Never gets past that.

Any experience with this? Is my iPhone screwed?

Anyway - it was great finding this forum and seeing you guys modding yours.

Let me know if my phone is now toast!
    The correct order to remove the cables is in chronological order 1,2,3,4,etc.. The correct order to put them back is the reverse 6,5,4,3,2,1. You did not do anything wrong as far as that goes. Try putting your phone into dfu mode and see if you can restore. You may need to charge the new battery for up to 24 hours before use. If you still experience the issue, try putting your original battery back in place and see of the problem continues.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JMBEAVER (01-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

My original battery was dying and would not last a full day with full charge so I tossed it.

DFU mode huh? That sounds serious. Will it work? This is assuming it's a software problem? I'm wondering if I did something to the hardware because I never had a problem with my phone. It never crashed.

Thanks

We are mainly looking to see if you get any errors during the restore process. Depending on the error number iTunes reports can indicate if there is some sort of hardware issue.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks again but I think I have a hardware problem.
    I tried putting it in DFU mode but the icons came up instructing me to plug into to iTunes. I already had iTunes up and the phone plugged into the USB but the computer did not recognize it.

The battery is also not charging. Each time I turn it on without USB, it shows the dead battery icon. I plug it in and it does not come up - but neither does the phone.

I guess somehow something got messed up. I have no clue where. I hope it's not a permanent issue. I'm ordering a whole new housing with a new battery and everything but the mainboard and screen. If it still doesn't come up I will conclude that I screwed something up with my mainboard.

Wow, sure killed the fun of modding my iPhone.

Thanks

^ My advice would be to take it apart relax and start over and follow Mellech518 advice. Also its not working so anything you do may just fix it. Just relax and fix it. I been there before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, I'm considering everyone's advice.
    I have taken it apart and re-assembled several times. From the beginning, I even labeled where each screw came from because I'm that careful when taking electronic devices apart. Still, same results.

Here's what happens. Unplugged, if I turn it on, the dead battery icon blinks and then the screen goes dark but I can still see the ghostly icon.

If I plug to the computer (PC) USB, the computer does not recognize and iTunes does not recognize. But the phone will atleast show the Apple logo screen but goes no further, after a couple minutes, the screen will go dark but I can still see the Apple logo.

If I plug it to a wall charger using the USB cable that came with my Griffin car charger (usually it would say it was a non recognized device and ask to put in airplane mode). The screen shows the Apple logo but instead of going dark, the screen will go completely blank and then come up withe the Apple screen again.

These things have been consistent no matter how many times I pull apart and put back together.

So, assuming it's the battery, because it never charges, I ordered another. I also ordered a bottom dock port module in case something happened to that. Just waiting for the parts to do some troubleshooting.

Thanks for all yall's help though.

Thanks

It sounds to me like the battery is just flat and needs a proper charge. Plugging it in to the wall charger is the way to go but you should use an original cable not the Griffin one.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by denimdragon View Post
    Just Finished these 2 iPhones

that green one is amazing!
    16GB Black iPhone 3G 3.0

15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.6

12" PowerBook G4 OS X 10.5.5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default My Red and Black 3G
    What's up I'm new here and want to start out by saying "What a cool forum".

I have done a custome red 3G with a black bezel and a custome painted screen. I was just thinking you might like to check it out.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial-red-iphone-001.jpg   PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial-red-iphone-004.jpg   PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial-red-iphone-005.jpg  

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed63Chevy View Post
    What's up I'm new here and want to start out by saying "What a cool forum".

I have done a custome red 3G with a black bezel and a custome painted screen. I was just thinking you might like to check it out.

Thanks
    What are the steps for painting the bezel and glass? I may want to paint my new bezel black too. Should I just sand it and spray primer then black then clear?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The bezel is an anodized black and the on the screen before I adhere the glass/digitizer to the mid frame I remove the black paint on the backside and paint what color I want. Where you see black on the screens can not be changed or the digitizer will not work properly.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

can someone please tell me what u use to to glue the bezel back on to the housing?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i'm guessing crazy glue is enough? do we really need to remove to bezel to paint the rear casing? i want to paint the bezel too. i dislike chrome!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberwheels View Post
    i'm guessing crazy glue is enough? do we really need to remove to bezel to paint the rear casing? i want to paint the bezel too. i dislike chrome!
    You can use krazy glue or epoxy for gluing the bezel. Yes you need to remove the bezel before painting the housing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis916 For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (01-25-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

okay sounds good thanks
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I wouldnt recommend using Krazy/super Glue. The fumes will leave a nasty white residue behind on the phone, can damage the cables and main board, and is just a mess. Use a heavy duty model epoxy and you will be fine.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (01-28-2010)