Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazi3flip View Post
    crazy isn't it...

BTW, how's the progress coming along on that in depth guide on how to replace the housing?
    Slowly....everytime I think Im gonna have time to work on it.....it dont happen....and theres ALOT of pics to take, etc.

Plus I gotta have an iphone laying around that I can spare to rip apart. Some stuff im getting pretty in depth for tearing apart.

my red housing decided to crack on me... i guess it's okay since i need to replace it anyways... (there is a gap with my bezel on the whole right side and my sim is stuck inside )... i'm going with blue this time and i think i'm going to send it cpjr.. might take a while though since i havent ordered it yet
    iPhone 4S 64GB White 5.1 UL | i7 Hackintosh 3.5 Ghz 32GB/ 2x128GB SSD, 2x1TB HD, 2x3TB HD, 2TB HD 10.7.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you should ask them for some free cases or something since they stole your write up lol

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Slowly....everytime I think Im gonna have time to work on it.....it dont happen....and theres ALOT of pics to take, etc.

Plus I gotta have an iphone laying around that I can spare to rip apart. Some stuff im getting pretty in depth for tearing apart.
    as soon as my housing comes in ill send you mine and you can use it! if it takes a few more days than normal that ok with me just as long as it looks good when its done lol
    Last edited by bftiedt; 07-31-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hey CPJR, I got half of the bezel glued on, now how do I glue the other side on since I can't really move the bezel?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is the 3G 8gb and 16gb back the same specs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jchhiminey View Post
    is the 3G 8gb and 16gb back the same specs?
    yep only diff. is one says 16 and the other 8

I think I need to order a new case because its been two weeks and I cannot get the bezel to line up right

I got a white one and did that much quicker...only issue, the corner by the vibrate button cannot lie flat.

After a close inspection, I discovered the gold screw mount in that corner was not flush

So I corrected it and the problem was corrected somewhat. Too bad the specs on both screw mounts aren't exactly the same between the aftermarket case and the OEM one.

arrrggggggg

It took me 2 weeks to order a red case and about a week and a half fiddling with them to get mine to fit the bezels (both plastic and OEM metal one)

At this point, I wish someone local stocked these so I can go to their warehouse and test fit a couple cases to see which ones actually fit right..

Signed slightly frustrated...

Quote Originally Posted by tiguy99 View Post
    I think I need to order a new case because its been two weeks and I cannot get the bezel to line up right

I got a white one and did that much quicker...only issue, the corner by the vibrate button cannot lie flat.

After a close inspection, I discovered the gold screw mount in that corner was not flush

So I corrected it and the problem was corrected somewhat. Too bad the specs on both screw mounts aren't exactly the same between the aftermarket case and the OEM one.

arrrggggggg

It took me 2 weeks to order a red case and about a week and a half fiddling with them to get mine to fit the bezels (both plastic and OEM metal one)

At this point, I wish someone local stocked these so I can go to their warehouse and test fit a couple cases to see which ones actually fit right..

Signed slightly frustrated...
    Was your phone functional during all of this?

I'm considering to brave the front and try a case swap myself, the bottom of my OEM case has a nice 1' long crack vertically.

If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 10,208 Times in 6,213 Posts

Oh that should make cpjr happy, now he's famous and no credit hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cool cydia
    What is the best prog. to use to download cydia.I have a 3G with 3.0 OS.I tried with redsn0w cydia will not open it says no internet service.

Thanks

haha yeah thats the same link i posted a few posts back.. i told him he should at least ask for some free cases or something lol

Quote Originally Posted by bftiedt View Post
    haha yeah thats the same link i posted a few posts back.. i told him he should at least ask for some free cases or something lol
    Sorry for the double post, I must have missed you post. I think some free cases are definitely in order.

BTW- For fun I did my first housing mod tonight. Took me a little over and hour to complete the take apart and switch to the new housing. I must say I am very impressed with myself as everything still works exactly as it should, buttons and all. I did however forget where the sim ejector tab went so of course the new sim tray doesnt open...I need some help pwease

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol. Where the hell is cpjr? Haven't seen him in awhile. Buddy get back to work! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by crazi3flip View Post
    Was your phone functional during all of this?

I'm considering to brave the front and try a case swap myself, the bottom of my OEM case has a nice 1' long crack vertically.
    Absolutely! Both of them work great. Once you put the new case on, the phone literally looks like its brand new out the box

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    ...I must say I am very impressed with myself as everything still works exactly as it should, buttons and all. I did however forget where the sim ejector tab went so of course the new sim tray doesnt open...I need some help pwease
    The sim ejector tray part is tricky...

first you need to transfer over that lil strip of black tape from the old case over to the new one.

It sits under the sim tray screw. Make sure you line up the plastic lever exactly how it was before with the longer notch on the left then screw it in.

With the screw torqued a lil tight, the sim tray lever should still be able to move freely.

In essence, when you place the sim tray into the phone, it causes the lever to move which engages the lil gold spring on the sim tray assembly on the logic board.

You can test this once you assemble the logic board back together on the new case.

Before you place the screen assembly part back on and close the phone, try inserting your sim card tray and see what happens.

If you did it right, it should go back in and be able to open again when you put the sim tool or paper clip back in the hole like normal.

Report back and let us know how it went once you fix the error!

Quote Originally Posted by bftiedt View Post
    Damn that's crazy. I hope they at least asked him for his permission or something.

I recently had someone make a PDF for my now famous PS3 blu ray laser fix thread.

These things happen....once we put stuff on the net, it becomes property of the net unfortunately.

Which means anything can happen. I'm sure if he didn't want people knowing the details on how he accomplished the swap he wouldn't have posted the detailed pics or upcoming writeup at all.

Same here...
    Last edited by tiguy99; 08-02-2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: I HATE this Automerged Doublepost thing....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tiguy99 For This Useful Post:

Melech518 (08-02-2009)

Thanks...Ill see what happens...where did i put that damn screw?? Just kidding...I just cant remember for the life of me where that dam thing was placed before i took it apart...I really wasnt thinking that would be the trickiest part of all of this

HAHA! Got it working! Thanks
    Last edited by Melech518; 08-02-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Here was my project.. These are the final pictures. Wasn't to hard to do, i wanna do it to my 3GS pretty bad. only reason i did it to that one was because i dropped it in a puddle and it tripped the sensor, so i figured apple wasn't going to give me a new and just modded this one!! i love it.. not to many people have orange iPhones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0048.jpg   -img_0049.jpg   -img_0050.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very nice~~~ I was gonna do the same to my scratched and cracked 3G once the warranty runs out next week, but the phone broke down last week and my provider replaced a refurbished unit for me~~ :-)

I have a full red casing sitting here useless now. :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc_0425-medium-.jpg   -dsc_0428-medium-.jpg   -dsc_0430-medium-.jpg   -dsc_0431-medium-.jpg   -dsc_0434-medium-.jpg  

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Haha, click my housing swap sig link Im bout to post pics of a few phones I just finished for people in the next few minutes.

Definitely subscribing CPJR! So far I've done two white case swaps and still have my red case naked since I couldn't get the bezel to line up.

I took my heat gun and on low got the plastic bezel to conform a lil bit. However I ran into a snag....

2 of the holes for the volume button switch mount melted closed! D'oh!!!

I can fix it, just need to find my needle and poke them out again. I'm gonig to order like 5 bezels to keep them stashed away in case I have this problem again.

At least one of them has to fit the case properly right

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast