+ Reply
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 28 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by cpjr It is very difficult (but doable) to line up an oem metal bezel with the aftermarket housing. Usually they will be off a little unless you
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    It is very difficult (but doable) to line up an oem metal bezel with the aftermarket housing. Usually they will be off a little unless you spend ALOT of time on it.

The plastic bezel will work you just have to mod the housing a little to mount stuff. You can actually glue the vibrator and it will stay.

Thanks for the quick response. Now if I glue the vibrate switch back into place, what risks do I run into if theose metal grounds on the side of the OEM metal trim aren't there?

I'd hate to glue the vibrator down only to find out my newly assembled phone is inoperable because of something the logic board needed that was left out.
    Last edited by tiguy99; 07-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I have used the plastic bezel on several swaps Ive done for members here (for various reasons) and the phone will work just fine. Although it lines up better, it is a little harder to assemble the phone with it (the plastic one).

Thanks

Definitely see how that can be possible. Well I've got the phone apart down to the ribbon strip again. Time to play surgeon for the nth time lol

I'll update this thread sometime tonight or by the morning. I'm going to use the plastic trim.

While I'm at it, I may as well do an LCD swap. My living room table almost looks like Apple's factory with all these spare parts I've got laying around lol

I'll post up some pics too with my next update. Thanks CP for helping us out.

Funny thing is I had this whole thing planned out about 2 weeks ago before I even knew this thread existed. Glad I found it just in time especially since it took that long for my cases to arrive from Hong Kong

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hang tight guys. My girlfriend has me editing her grad school term paper. Sorry for the delay.

I'll post my results in a few hours
    Last edited by tiguy99; 07-21-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I have used the plastic bezel on several swaps Ive done for members here (for various reasons) and the phone will work just fine. Although it lines up better, it is a little harder to assemble the phone with it (the plastic one).
    Tell me about it.....here's where I stand right now....

a quick pictoral run down

The issues I face.....one the left side's not lining up with the plastic bezel.

Two the bottom side doesn't line up using the OEM bezel

Three I can't get the power button to click like it was before. (I think it has to do with the plastic bezel)

sigh

Green Apple
    Thanks
    What kind of glue should I use for the OEM bezel? Krazy-Glue or Rubber Cement? And should I put it on the bezel or the housing itself?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickskid21 View Post
    What kind of glue should I use for the OEM bezel? Krazy-Glue or Rubber Cement? And should I put it on the bezel or the housing itself?
    Personally I'd stay away from krazy glue due to a few reasons...

1. you can't remove it without damaging something

2. it could give off gases under certain environmental conditions that can also damage your case

I'd stick with a light cerement type glue like the OEM kind one that's easy to remove if necessary

Green Apple
    Thanks
    What brand would that be?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickskid21 View Post
    What brand would that be?
    I did a quick test fit with Elmers purple stick but I'm headed back to Home Depot later today to grab some.

I'm guessing a light duty plastic cement like

Plastic Cement Tube 5/8 oz (tes3501) Testors Model Rocket Building Material Building Supply

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Let me know ASAP what you buy and how it works.

Thanks

Kicks, I picked up the Duco Cement from my local auto parts supply store. Soon as I'm done watching CNN tonight, I'll get back to it and hopefully I'll have a good report.

Anyone know the proper way the power button goes back in? Is it with the metal oval pointed down or up?

For some reason I don't have it oriented right or something's not sitting right because its not clicking like it was before once you screw those 2 small screws back in on the black rear plastic part just above the camera.

Anyone care to share how I can get this part back in correctly? That's really the only part I'm stuck on

Thanks

The power button goes in with the ring where its angled at 45 degrees down. It swings farther to one side, that side goes up.

And its not gonna click more than likely in an aftermarket housing because the fit isnt correct (isnt oem).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sadhunni's Avatar
    Thanks

Pics above looks complicated. I wont even dare to try it. ><

Green Apple
    Thanks
    CPJR...what is the exact kind of glue that you use for the bezel?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That looks damn nice!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sadhunni's Avatar
    Thanks

It does look nice and complicated. i probably got lost by now if you want me to change the housing myself.

Thanks

Sorry guys I got distracted this past week with various "life" events. Sad to say I'm still in the same place.

Check this out, yesterday I got a white case to replace the cracked rear of a white 16GB I had laying around here.

Well I compare quality of both cases and the OEM 16GB case has additional ridges on the bottom to plug into the chrome trim so it fits better

What the heck...

Thanks

As with anything else......OEM is always better quality.

Thanks

heyman just thought you might get a kick out of this one.. check out this guide Site Name - Articles - iPhone 2G/3G Housing install instructions - How To Replace iPhone 3G Housing

Thanks

What the hell!!!!!!! They stole my little guide from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe it!!!!!!
    Last edited by cpjr; 07-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What the hell!!!!!!! They stole my little guide from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe it!!!!!!
    crazy isn't it...

BTW, how's the progress coming along on that in depth guide on how to replace the housing?