Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PROJECT RED 3G and DIY Tutorial

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sadhunni's Avatar
    Thanks

Omg.. It looks so pretty. Nice work.

Thanks

Ok, so ive screwed my warranty over and done this.

I have got the blue housing now.

The whole porcess is relatively simple if you take your time and are gentle, nothing can really go wrong.

However, a few niggles.

With the new case:

Silent toggle is not as sturdy.

Volume buttons do not have as much spring in them

Power button does not have as much spring in it

AND

getting the silent toggle switch back in properly was a real pain.

The quality of the housing i got is average, not as good as OEM obviously but ok. It feels good to be different now, just wish i never did it and still had my warranty !

Oh, and the headphone jack hasnt got a silver ring anymore just working out how to apply the camera one now (superglue?!?!)
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

The camera or the lens? superglue if you need too, the adhesive that was on it is usually enough.

Also, If you use the buttons from the oem housing, they will feel and click like oem.

And...if you did a good job swapping it out....and KEEP your old case, you still have a warranty

Just swap back if needed, the "genius" isnt going to take it apart before swapping, so they wont see the seal is broke.

Thanks

Ahhh, thats exactly what i thought. Ive had 3 swapped out before and not once did they open it.

I have used the same bezel + buttons from the original, the ones that came with the new housing were proper tacky.

The volume + sleep/power + silent switch all feel weird. The silent+sleep button rattle in my hand if i shake the phone and i have to press harder to make them all work. Less of a kinda spring in all of them.

I will switch back to the oem case soon to see whether its the case or the way ive put it together, but ive taken it apart + put together whilst looking at a water damaged one next to me that i have never disassembled and it looks spot on. Any pointers CPJR on where i could be going wrong?

Also, no grill for the speaker/microphone. In fact, no cover at all for them. Was thinking about taking the grill from the oem and putting it on the new one but dont wanna harm the warranty anymore.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    I wouldnt exactly call it experience . Opening up my razr i tore a flex cable and my screen was permanently disconnected. All i know from that experience is to be very careful and take as much time as you need, dont force anything at all.
    I diod that the first time I took my old razr apart. I bought a replacement cable for a few bucks.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Ahhh, thats exactly what i thought. Ive had 3 swapped out before and not once did they open it.

I have used the same bezel + buttons from the original, the ones that came with the new housing were proper tacky.

The volume + sleep/power + silent switch all feel weird. The silent+sleep button rattle in my hand if i shake the phone and i have to press harder to make them all work. Less of a kinda spring in all of them.

I will switch back to the oem case soon to see whether its the case or the way ive put it together, but ive taken it apart + put together whilst looking at a water damaged one next to me that i have never disassembled and it looks spot on. Any pointers CPJR on where i could be going wrong?

Also, no grill for the speaker/microphone. In fact, no cover at all for them. Was thinking about taking the grill from the oem and putting it on the new one but dont wanna harm the warranty anymore.
    The grill inserts come right out, use em. They can be popped right back in if needed.

The button "tightness" is dependent on the housing/bezel alignment mostly, because the volume buttons sit inbetween the two....so check alignment and if needed CAREFULLY bend the "tab" the button sit under in a little, should help tighten those up. The mute button is kinda the same way, the left side screws to the bezel...so again, may need to move it closer to the housing. And the power button is again, the same way.....it screws to the bezel and sits inbetween, so any slack will be because the bezel/housing are gapped just a little too much.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

well i got all the parts for my iphone to fix.

its now gold with teh zagg invisibleshield and it looks and feel greats.

just like cpjr said, it is a fiddle to get right but it looks good enough for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Jordo_6;3546611]well i got all the parts for my iphone to fix.

its now gold with teh zagg invisibleshield and it looks and feel greats.

just like cpjr said, it is a fiddle to get right but it looks good enough for me.[/QUOTE
    Take some pictures. I'm still waiting for mine to come in.

Thanks

this is a pic of it, sorry its a bad shot and looks dirty, the desk i just sat it on wasnt that clean

Thanks

^Looks good.

I just started spraying the housings for a real custom job. Check out my "tester" in my sig, the orange one. Im waiting on some paint for my airbrush to do some cool stuff.

Thanks

^^yeah looks sweet man. i'll be trying out some custom stuff with my old housing too then i'll apply it too my new one if it turns out a success and then it'll really be unique!

Thanks

cpjr i want to try that out some time when I have the chance and proper tools ha.

here are some more pics (taken on a phone camera lol)

yea the screen needs a touch up, the digitizer didn't get put flat down on the frame when I did the replacement

Thanks

so is it true that there is no chrome ring around the headphone jack with this new case? i've heard some people say this but never had it confirmed. nice face-plate btw where did you get that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Looks good.

I just started spraying the housings for a real custom job. Check out my "tester" in my sig, the orange one. Im waiting on some paint for my airbrush to do some cool stuff.
    You still using old blue?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You still using old blue?
    Sorta, but kinda not. Well, most of it at least.

The housing is now wrapped around Posidein79's phone, the rest of the phone I am still using everyday, just with a Red housing

And I'd really like to find a 3g 16er soon that maybe looks like total crap but works for cheap (yeah i know) to put a housing I just sprayed with Ultra Orange Pearl (has the same pearl effect those aftermarket housings do) on. I dont wanna rip apart the red one to do that though.

The nice thing about spraying an oem housing.....it still feels and fits like an oem housing

Quote Originally Posted by gomer713 View Post
    so is it true that there is no chrome ring around the headphone jack with this new case? i've heard some people say this but never had it confirmed. nice face-plate btw where did you get that?
    Depends on which kit you buy, some sellers include only the housing and simtray. Others will also include buttons and trim pieces like the little chrome ring.
    Last edited by cpjr; 03-11-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

ahh cool the dude i bought mine from said it comes with everything ecaseshop.com's comes with so i take that as a yes? it should come with a little chrome ring right? i couldn't tell what the pieces were in the listing on ebay. you know how ebay pics are

Thanks

^Yes, you should get the headphone jack ring, buttons, camera ring and some internal plastic pieces.

The only thing I dont understand is why they give you all that stuff, and leave out the mesh screens for the speaker holes on the bottom. Sure their easy to take out of the old housing, but dang.

Thanks

yeah for real but i'll just take them off my OEM. my waranty was long gone anyway i picked this one up on ebay from "water damage" like you suggested and that's the one this case is going on. what are those white internal pieces for anyways shouldn't i have everything i need as far as things go inside?

here's mine just installed it..took about 2-3 hours. it's kinda hard if you don't research videos and forum topics to see what everyone else did wrong. if you do it's actually kinda easy hardest part for me was getting the bezel off since it is glue i accidently broke my old case so yeah no turnin back now huh. anyway i toldly agree with the rateings above. only thing is mine don't feel like the buttons are loose. it did until i put my screen back in then it put everything right where it was supposed to be.

as you can see this red color kinda changes color under different light

it has a good coat of clear that's for sure

it's under flouerescent last two pics btw
    Last edited by gomer713; 03-12-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

^Wow, good job buddy. Glad to hear you thought it was easy after some research... Gives the rest of us some hope.

Can't wait until I get another GGG that I can afford to rip apart.
    Respect your elders.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

gomer713 (03-12-2009)

Thanks

Nice nice, I just swapped mine to Orange

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast