Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any ideas how to reconnect the 3rd cable to the logic board on a 3G?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Any ideas how to reconnect the 3rd cable to the logic board on a 3G?
    I bought a 3G off Ebay that had no response on the LCD, but synced etc with iTunes; the screen is not cracked and there are no signs of water damage.

I opened the phone up and saw that cable 1 was not connnected. At this point I was psyched thinking this would be an easy fix. However, after re-attaching the cable and firing the phone up again there was still no response. So, I opened the phone back up and did some digging.

I didn't have to dig far. Cable 3 was also disconnected...because there was no flip bar to hold it onto the logic board. Great! I'm thinking I'm hosed- I need a new logic board.

However, after an hour away from the situation, I had an idea. I remembered that the old iPhone uses adhesive over some of it's connections. So I am wondering is it possible to attach that cable using alternative strategies and what would the simplest strategy be? Would a drop of epoxy over the connection and cable work? If I could take the phone back to Apple I would, but it is missing the screws at the bottom of the case.

My technical know-how is minimal. My technical skills are minimal (I lay solder like it's gravy on mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving.) My main ability is in following directions and synchronizing information. It's gotten me through replacing the LCD of an iPhone 2G, and building a couple of computers.
    Last edited by preacherzson; 12-03-2008 at 09:37 PM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I would have to see it.....is the cable "damaged"??

Sounds like someone opened the phone and hacked it up for some reason.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Didn't appear to be damaged, but I don't have the knowledge to certify that assertion
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll post pics of cable 3 and the #3 dock on the logic board. Let me know any other views that are needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cable-3-2.jpg   -cable-3.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Pics of Logic Board Connection
    Here's the pics of the Logic board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -16gb-3g-connector-3.jpg   -16gb-3g-connector-3-2.jpg   -16gb-3g-connector-3-4.jpg   -16gb-3g-connector-3-3.jpg  

Thanks

Yeah that cable should have a "flip" type piece that hold it down after you "slide" it into place.

I think a piece of electrical tape would hold it if the flip piece is broke.

But that cable should slide into its proper place on the board.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

preacherzson (12-03-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does the cable just sit on top of the logic board connector, or does it slide into it, like the middle layer of a sandwich?

Thanks

It normally sits on it....but is "clamped' down by a clasp that would normally rotate up 90degrees.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone apummell's Avatar
    Thanks

Might try craft type hot glue pretty strong flows well and can still be remove if it has to be.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to apummell For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It does not appear that electrical tape will have enough adhesion to consistently hold the connection down. So would a drop of epoxy be advisable (since the phone warranty is void anyway)?

I don't know if epoxy would impede the function in any way...I guess I'll test the tape first to see if that restores the LCD function.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apummell View Post
    Might try craft type hot glue pretty strong flows well and can still be remove if it has to be.
    Only prob with that is with the internal temp the phone can reach on the inside....Im not sure how long that would hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by preacherzson View Post
    It does not appear that electrical tape will have enough adhesion to consistently hold the connection down. So would a drop of epoxy be advisable (since the phone warranty is void anyway)?

I don't know if epoxy would impede the function in any way...I guess I'll test the tape first to see if that restores the LCD function.
    Test it first just to see if thats all thats wrong....

And yeah....a LITTLE bit of CAREFULLY placed epoxy should work well.

Just dont gump up the connectors to the point of no connection.
    Last edited by cpjr; 12-03-2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default hot glue.....GENIUS!

I'll test with tape (good luck to me figuring out how to get my fat fingers to place that...hooray tweezers and that stupid cuticle thing I never used before!) and then it's off to AC Moore for some high-temp glue sticks. If the glue and connector separate because of internal temps, I'll try the epoxy route.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks everybody...
    Last edited by preacherzson; 12-03-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No signs of life for the LCD yet despite all configurations. Boohoo...

I noticed that the feet that the external screws go into were broken off the digitizer, so I ordered a new one off ebay. If I can find a pair of screws to replace the ones that were missing I'll be in business trying to get apple to fix the problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JackSchitt's Avatar
    Thanks

keep us all updated peach. would deff like to see what happens.

the 3G looks way diff on the inside. they really changed it. this inspires me to fix this old 2G i have sitting around.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

currently looking for more data on how the ribbon cable connects to the logic board. I can't seem to find good pictures of that particular articulation. From what I've seen on the reference shots of the logic board, the clamp housing covers up some of the connections. So I can't figure out what needs to touch in the connection.

Any brave soul willing to post high def closeups of that ribbon cable and connector plugged in? (and of course it's the easiest place to take a picture of....lol)

I'm also beginning to look for a supplier that offers the LCD+digitizer in the metal tray with the home button assembly included. I got a replacement screen/digitizer, but it does not have the button assembly, and therefore has no "feet". I found one in China (smartstorecn.com), but they don't list prices online, so I'm waiting to hear back from their sales department.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by preacherzson View Post
    currently looking for more data on how the ribbon cable connects to the logic board. I can't seem to find good pictures of that particular articulation. From what I've seen on the reference shots of the logic board, the clamp housing covers up some of the connections. So I can't figure out what needs to touch in the connection.

Any brave soul willing to post high def closeups of that ribbon cable and connector plugged in? (and of course it's the easiest place to take a picture of....lol)

I'm also beginning to look for a supplier that offers the LCD+digitizer in the metal tray with the home button assembly included. I got a replacement screen/digitizer, but it does not have the button assembly, and therefore has no "feet". I found one in China (smartstorecn.com), but they don't list prices online, so I'm waiting to hear back from their sales department.
    If I can find my camera i'll take one, cause I have a 3g sitting her that I just opened up...awaiting parts.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

preacherzson (12-10-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

These boards don't just disconnect themselves and throw away the parts. Whoever as in that phone made sure you couldn't easily fix it and find out the truth of whatever is really going on. Very deceptive cover up.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

^Yup, thats what I had told him basically.....someone thrashed around in there before he got it.

well i opened a jar of mayonnaise this morning and well, it was all over the place...so im waiting for my friend to come back from the grocery store with more mayo, will keep you posted

i kno' im an idiot lol
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

that would be way cool!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Request: pics anyone?
    CPJR- if you would be able to post some pics of the connector open and closed, that would be awesome... 'm kinda at am impasse.

Also, anyone know where to get screws for the exterior?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast