+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone disassembly questions...

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Does anyone know specifically what each numbered cable hooks up? So like if the screen doesn't work, I'd know I haven't connected cable 1 properly or something? And does anyone
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone disassembly questions...
    Does anyone know specifically what each numbered cable hooks up? So like if the screen doesn't work, I'd know I haven't connected cable 1 properly or something?

And does anyone know the specific size of those first two screws you have to remove? The ones on either side of the dock connector? I've lost a couple, but I don't want to pay triple the price for them on some iPhone supply site. I'd rather get them at regular price from a hardware store.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well, the way each cable is designed there's really only 1 place you could hook it up. So, you cant really plug it into the "wrong" place.

The 2 screws take a size #0 phillips head, so that should give you the screw size i'd imagine.

And if your screen isnt working...aside from checking all your connections.....i gotta let you know its very easy to damage the screen while taking the phone apart....so I hope thats not the case.

If you'd like to check out a guide...here you go:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/iPhone/105

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

crashzilla00 (05-06-2009)

Thanks

there goes cpjr with his disassembly and modding support. hahahahaha. you da man!!!!
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Well, the way each cable is designed there's really only 1 place you could hook it up. So, you cant really plug it into the "wrong" place.

The 2 screws take a size #0 phillips head, so that should give you the screw size i'd imagine.

And if your screen isnt working...aside from checking all your connections.....i gotta let you know its very easy to damage the screen while taking the phone apart....so I hope thats not the case.

If you'd like to check out a guide...here you go:
    iPhone 1st Gen. Guides
    Uhh, I may have been unclear in my post... I didn't ask about the cables because I thought I might plug them in incorrectly, or because I actually damaged my screen. I meant, what does each cable actually do? For example, if I know that the cable marked "1" hooks up the screen, and the screen doesn't work when I put it back together, I'd know to check cable 1 as a possible culprit.

And I know the screw heads are #00, but what about the length?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Hmm, I've never seen a "diagram" explaining this. But you basically have these parts inside the phone.

1. Charger Pin flex cable - the one thats connected to the port on the bottom of the phone.

2. Audio Flex cable - connects the headphone jack, volume buttons and such then goes to the logic board.

3. Display and Touch Sensor cables - which are the ones that comes off the screen itself.

4. Single White cable (wire) - is the Antenna cable.

What issue are you having?? And maybe we could diagnose it.

And as far as the screws, you know their very short....I would ballpark it. I have never seen anything that specified the length.

Check out the link I gave you...it will at least show you pics of the parts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not having a specific issue with cables, actually, I just wanted to know for the future. Some cables, especially cable 1, can be difficult to push back into the "socket" sometimes, so it's hard to know whether it's really connected once you close it up.

As for screws, I guess I'll show the hardware shop guy one of the screws I need, that'll be my best bet... Thanks for the help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 2G dissassembly help!!
    Ok, so ive dissassembled my iphone completly but when i took the LCD and Digitizer off the button flex wire was still attached and snapped. I ordered a new one but i have no idea how to install it. PLease HELP

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cables
    Quote Originally Posted by _ducky View Post
    I'm not having a specific issue with cables, actually, I just wanted to know for the future. Some cables, especially cable 1, can be difficult to push back into the "socket" sometimes, so it's hard to know whether it's really connected once you close it up.

As for screws, I guess I'll show the hardware shop guy one of the screws I need, that'll be my best bet... Thanks for the help!

I didn't connect cable marked #3 very well and when I powered it up the bottom third of the touchscreen would not respond therefore I wasn't able to unlock the phone via the slider.
    I suspect cable #2 represents the middle third of the touchscreen and cable #1 represents the top third of the touchscreen.

Here are my guesses for #4, #5, #6.

#4 - speaker, antenna, mic, (home button?) etc.
    #5 - everything from the top of the phone, i.e. headphone jack, sim card, camera, volume control, ringer button, etc.
    #6 - network connection, i.e. 3g network, Edge, GPRS etc.

ddden

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddden View Post
    I didn't connect cable marked #3 very well and when I powered it up the bottom third of the touchscreen would not respond therefore I wasn't able to unlock the phone via the slider.
    I suspect cable #2 represents the middle third of the touchscreen and cable #1 represents the top third of the touchscreen.

Here are my guesses for #4, #5, #6.

#4 - speaker, antenna, mic, (home button?) etc.
    #5 - everything from the top of the phone, i.e. headphone jack, sim card, camera, volume control, ringer button, etc.
    #6 - network connection, i.e. 3g network, Edge, GPRS etc.

ddden
    Ummm....No need to guess. Here is the breakdown:
    #1-LCD
    #2-Digitizer(The entire digitizer)
    #3-Proximity Cable/Ambient Light Sensor/Earpiece
    #4-Dock Connector/Mic/Speaker/Antenna/Yes, the Home button Flex makes contact with the dock connector assembly
    #5-Vibrate/Power Button/Volume/Mute Switch
    #6-Wifi Antenna
    #7(3GS)-Radio Antenna
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Spy3D (07-10-2010)

Thanks

Wow this is an old thread.