+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing a Flex Cable (D.I.Y.) with pics

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
send yo a PM one ...????
    Thanks

send yo a PM one

...????
    Last edited by myke55; 01-25-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I don't sit here all day waiting on people to PM me. This is a free thing to help people. (referencing the double bump)
    Last edited by one1; 01-30-2009 at 01:40 AM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help with Flex cable information
    Hello one1,
    I have the 1st generation iphone 8GB upgraded to 2.0.

I have seen your post and my iphone has all the symptons you mentioned (USB does not work, this accessory is not made to work with your iphone) in addition to -

1) phone does not shutdown (for past 2 months)
    2) have you use my headphone otherwise nobody can hear me
    3) home button is not working

What flex cable do I have to purchase to replace this and from where? Can you help me with the same? I looked up for Audio Jack Flex cable on ebay and see one available for $10 but what others do I need before I can have this actually fixed to work again as it used to?

Your suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

sorry, I just saw these posts on login only. I see the board for 150 and flex cable for 10. Can you please tell from where I can buy these? Links would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by vvsaraf; 01-29-2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow this would have been pretty helpful a week or so ago.I got an iPhone 2G for repair, and the owner said the home button had stopped working completely. I was quite frustrated by all of the online disassembly guides because they all stop after you get the logic board out! So I continued disassembly by myself, much more slowly and with somewhat more shaky hands than before.

After much deliberation I finally discovered the location of this ribbon cable, which seems almost hidden in this little plastic cavity fused to the metal frame, as if to tease you (you know you want to separate me from this frame, go ahead and try!!!) Anyways, after more tinkering I discovered how to pop out the speaker and microphone and slide the whole ribbon cable out. It was pretty clear why the owner had a problem - the ribbon cable just above the home button was torn, the home button and microphone were their own pieces :-/. I couldn't find a replacement ribbon cable online tho, so I ended up selling off the parts of the iPhone still worth something and scrapping the rest :-/

Oh, and FWIW, I have no professional degree, but I do have a LOT of experience taking things apart, including iPods and cell phones, so it can be done by non-professionals, but you have to at least be an electronics enthusiast...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

ipoong (10-11-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Wow this would have been pretty helpful a week or so ago.I got an iPhone 2G for repair, and the owner said the home button had stopped working completely. I was quite frustrated by all of the online disassembly guides because they all stop after you get the logic board out! So I continued disassembly by myself, much more slowly and with somewhat more shaky hands than before.

After much deliberation I finally discovered the location of this ribbon cable, which seems almost hidden in this little plastic cavity fused to the metal frame, as if to tease you (you know you want to separate me from this frame, go ahead and try!!!) Anyways, after more tinkering I discovered how to pop out the speaker and microphone and slide the whole ribbon cable out. It was pretty clear why the owner had a problem - the ribbon cable just above the home button was torn, the home button and microphone were their own pieces :-/. I couldn't find a replacement ribbon cable online tho, so I ended up selling off the parts of the iPhone still worth something and scrapping the rest :-/

Oh, and FWIW, I have no professional degree, but I do have a LOT of experience taking things apart, including iPods and cell phones, so it can be done by non-professionals, but you have to at least be an electronics enthusiast...
    So close....but yet so far.....

Search better (LOL)....those cables are pretty cheap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vvsaraf View Post
    sorry, I just saw these posts on login only. I see the board for 150 and flex cable for 10. Can you please tell from where I can buy these? Links would be appreciated! Thanks!
    I've had time to see most of the cables offered on ebay and the ones for $10 have quality issues. Get the one's for $20.

iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    So close....but yet so far.....

Search better (LOL)....those cables are pretty cheap.
    Well the battery also wouldn't charge, and I couldn't tell if it was because of the ribbon cable or a possibly bad battery as well. And the owner said she wasn't willing to put any money into the phone to fix it. Oh well. Soldering on a new battery wouldn't be a problem for me (I ended up having to resolder one of the connections on the battery anyways cuz one came loose after enough handling) but it's just a pain and she apparently got the phone as a gift in the first place, so she wasn't that attached to it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I've had time to see most of the cables offered on ebay and the ones for $10 have quality issues. Get the one's for $20.
    Thanks, can you point out what I should search on E-bay? I really want to buy the right thing and I am pretty unsure with so many parts being sold. Really appreciate any possible keywords or URLs that I can use to buy these. Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ONE1, I've replaced my screen and digitizer on my 1st Generation iPhone. Since then my HOME button and sound stopped working, I noticed the flex cable was torn, so I replaced it. Screen and sound work, but the HOME button still doesn't. I restored the phone and no luck. Any suggestions? BTW, this phone is jailbroken.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First to answer JCNapoleon, Looks like you will have to buy another flex cable, otherwise its finished. try inserting the cable very well because it can be that also

On to my post to this. its been about 2 months since I saw this because I bought the iPhone used in January and everything was perfect except it wouldnt charge from my old data connector, just the one that came with it. all other docks were a fuss

then all of a sudden. Nothing couldnt charge. I Was starting to panic because i realized if it was a hardware thing this would be impossible. Took me a few days to understand what the problem was exactly so once I got that I ended up searching for threads related to the problem and hope i could find tutorials to the exact problem..apparently I only had guides to open it but nothing close to replacing a flex cable. I only had 1 guy that had done it through emails so once then I was motivated enough to go ahead and do it.

And about my skills.....heh I only love computers and electronics in General. I am only 17, but have built enough PC's and fixed so an so so this is pretty much new to me, only soldered once in my lifetime so if anyone does this, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!! take steps, coffee breaks anything.

I have pictures as I went but i pretty much go to the point after i replaced it

Old flex cable with the mic area is laid on my pinky (I tried to desolder the mic but it broke without hesitation....lol)

New flex cable installed with internal speaker soldered on

And this is my fresh FRESH Aluminum house casing.....bent I simply could not get the dang thing off. and showing is the old mic. both pins are broken off

Here how much it has bent and probably one of the best pictures I have taken lately

These tools no longer are usable...they are eaten up by this phone

And my lamp to help me

So yes, one1 your images helped my very much get to where I need to be to get this replaced. Couldn't be any happier to have it fixed. took a few days to be complete as I had to wait for the mic to arrive in the mail. I did solder it on barely and damaged the mic a bit so the first few weeks people couldnt hear me at all on conversations, but eventually it just sort of got better Like real surgury heh.

Here it is a few month after its horrible moment. still running strong. Although my Wifi and cell antena cables are weird. I have a lower range to find signals than before and sometimes cut off. same for the service.

Have a nice day

Best Regards

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Would it be possible at all for you to write the necessary steps to replace the flex cable down? I know you have already said that it would be almost impossible for anyone without knowledge in this field of electronics to complete this procedure, but I have nothing to lose anyways.

This thread details my problem, and my fruitless attempts to resolve them.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ual-reset.html

Thanks.

Thanks

Good job up there guy!

and to you, I doubt this is your issue, but if you wanna tear it up with nothing to lose.... might as well try. I've done so many I can break them down and build them back up in 30 mins.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Good job up there guy!

and to you, I doubt this is your issue, but if you wanna tear it up with nothing to lose.... might as well try. I've done so many I can break them down and build them back up in 30 mins.
    I've already disassembled the phone. The pieces are in a shoebox in my drawer, unable to be operated on further. After I took it apart, I discoverd that the flex cable near the home button was ripped, and so I made my way here. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this. xD

Thanks

It can't rip sitting inside the frame it ripped when you pulled the MOBO up off the frame. It's taped to the frame.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I kind of gave up on this. I replaced the flex cable twice and both times the HOME button still didn't work. So I bought me a 3G on the street and jailbroke it. Just for the hell of it, I took the iphone with the bad HOME button to a place they repair them and the guy said he will fix it for $40, according to him, it's the whole HOME button mechanism is bad,...LOL The HOME button is just the flex cable and button, personally I think he's full of it, but for $40...I'll let him take a crack at the MECHANISM....

Thanks

There is no mechanism. When you bend the home button cable back to wrap around the plate it cracks the connection if you don't do it correctly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey I sent you a PM about a week ago, so that didn't seem to work. I need to get my phone fixed, there is a thread in this section about it if you need more details. Just tell me what I need to send you, where to send it to, and how much money you want for the job and I'd love to do business ASAP.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea there could be some new problems when this is done. My Wifi and regular antena's arent working to well, the Wifi especially. Hopefully its just loose wiring. But I guess I will take a look at that once I get the renovation started on this baby over the summer.

Regards
    Last edited by enriquesdrj2_8; 05-18-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know where to get the better quality of flex cable for iphone 2g? If there's a certain way to install it, please let me know. A guy look at my phone and said the communications board is bad, I guess he means the logic board. I found used logic boards on Ebay for $80, but there's no way to tell if they have the same HOME button problem.
    Last edited by JCNapoleon; 05-19-2009 at 08:15 AM.