Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Broken home button & crashing iPhone

Thumbs down Broken home button & crashing iPhone
    I've had my iPhone (originally a 1.1.1- downgraded to 1.0.2 and hacked to work with O2 in Ireland and Vodafone in Australia) for about 3 months. I love it. It kicks the arse of my old Nokia N95.

In the last few days it has started playing up in a major way. I dropped it, but didn't think there was any damage. Then the home button stopped working- so I could do either SMS, or phone or net etc before having to restart the phone and use another function.

Then, in addition to that, the programs started crashing regularly and required me to restart the phone even more regularly.

I've wiped the phone. "Restored" to 1.1.2, downgraded to 1.1.1 and on to 1.0.2. The phone is now still playing up. The home button still doesn't work, which is not as bad as the programs crashing all the time.

This, frankly is doing my head in. I'm back to using my N95- which has its own set of problems.

Has anyone come across this before?
    Can anyone tell me if Apple would take returns on this? I could get it brought back to an Apple store in the states by a friend (in Boston- but it was bought in LA).

Thanks a lot,

Gav

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gcooney View Post
    I've had my iPhone (originally a 1.1.1- downgraded to 1.0.2 and hacked to work with O2 in Ireland and Vodafone in Australia) for about 3 months. I love it. It kicks the arse of my old Nokia N95.

In the last few days it has started playing up in a major way. I dropped it, but didn't think there was any damage. Then the home button stopped working- so I could do either SMS, or phone or net etc before having to restart the phone and use another function.

Then, in addition to that, the programs started crashing regularly and required me to restart the phone even more regularly.

I've wiped the phone. "Restored" to 1.1.2, downgraded to 1.1.1 and on to 1.0.2. The phone is now still playing up. The home button still doesn't work, which is not as bad as the programs crashing all the time.

This, frankly is doing my head in. I'm back to using my N95- which has its own set of problems.

Can anyone tell me if Apple would take returns on this? I could get it brought back to an Apple store in the states by a friend (in Boston- but it was bought in LA).

Thanks a lot,

Gav
    You won't be able to return it anywhere in the States unless it comes with an AT&T contract. Apple won't even look at it.

I've never come across problems like that before. Might indeed be hardware issues.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

gcooney (12-19-2007)

Thanks Eurisko. Not so good news :-(
    If anyone has any better news, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

Gav
    hi i got a question!
    you said that your "home" does not work.
    how can you restore it without the home button ?
    my home button is stuck and does not work.

you dont need a home button to restore... I used independence to set in restore mode (as opposed to holding home button down).
    also got home button working again last night. Just kept fiddling with it. Seems like it was stuck- but didnt feel stuck.
    so i just tried to free it with paper around the edges of the button. It worked!
    No more n95 for me!

Green Apple
    Thanks

mine presses fine but is non responsive, any help?

Quote Originally Posted by UV RAYS View Post
    mine presses fine but is non responsive, any help?
    Mine only works if i am on a phone call,

Thanks a lot,

Gav
    I have a very similar problem:

My iphone fell on the ground and since then:
    - the home button does not work anymore
    - usb connection does not work anymore
    - recharging works but takes forever

Iphone is jailbroken 1.1.4 and I tried literally everything from resetting, a complete reinstallation to opening up the iphone and checking if I could fix the Home button. Nothing worked. Going back to the store is not an option since it is jailbroken and (meanwhile) opened.

My iphone is already worthless for months due to this non-working home button.

I believe that the only two options left are:
    - reprogram one of the sound buttons (if that would be possible) to act as the home button.
    - write a small application that places a software button in the top layer

Since I am getting desperate, here is my plan:
    - I sponsor 10 euro (I'll pay through paypal) for the first person who posts a link that solves my problem.
    - I sponsor 30 euro for anyone who would be so kind to write a little application that places a permanent software home button in the top layer of the screen.

Other users with similar problems are invited to also offer some sponsorship. It would be great that we can all together raise enough incentives to help out ourselves and support the community with more software!

The exact same thing happened to me, but with little variation.

1) I dropped my phone lightly on the ground
    2) Home button doesn't work
    3) Iphone can charge but it takes forever
    4) Can't start phone; stays at -connect to itunes- or -apple logo- screens.
    5) Computer won't recognize iphone.

Nothing seems to be working =|

Quote Originally Posted by tvdbulck View Post
    I have a very similar problem:

My iphone fell on the ground and since then:
    - the home button does not work anymore
    - usb connection does not work anymore
    - recharging works but takes forever

Iphone is jailbroken 1.1.4 and I tried literally everything from resetting, a complete reinstallation to opening up the iphone and checking if I could fix the Home button. Nothing worked. Going back to the store is not an option since it is jailbroken and (meanwhile) opened.

My iphone is already worthless for months due to this non-working home button.

I believe that the only two options left are:
    - reprogram one of the sound buttons (if that would be possible) to act as the home button.
    - write a small application that places a software button in the top layer

Since I am getting desperate, here is my plan:
    - I sponsor 10 euro (I'll pay through paypal) for the first person who posts a link that solves my problem.
    - I sponsor 30 euro for anyone who would be so kind to write a little application that places a permanent software home button in the top layer of the screen.

Other users with similar problems are invited to also offer some sponsorship. It would be great that we can all together raise enough incentives to help out ourselves and support the community with more software!
    Did you get a application to reprogram the home button to one of the others?

Default Broken Home Button Workaround
    If your phone is jailbroken there is a package called "Close Button Widget" that replicates the home button on your springboard. On full-screen programs the springboard doesn't show up, however, so if you use the package "Dock", you can get around that withought having to reboot.

The geniuses at the Genius Bar kicked me out because my 3G iphone could only have been "completely submerged" to trigger both water sensors and invalidate my warranty. Apparently having your phone in your pocket while skiing qualifies as "complete submersion". I haven't tried baking my phone in the oven or complete dissassembly yet because the above solutions work fine.