Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fixing broken iphone glass....diy

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Fixing broken iphone glass....diy
    Hope this helps someone else.....Noob to the iphone, got one with a sweet trade, dropped it a week later lol.....sooo mad and soo cheap i deceided to fix it myself.

I picked out the glass with a razor blade and carefully slide the blade under the clear goo, lift and remove. 2+hrs (note** BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE GOO AND GLASS BC U COULD DAMAGE THE LCD PANEL)

Then i ordered the replacement glass off of ebay 30bucks.....SEARCH IPHONE GLASS OR SOMETHING....

very simple to apply just be very careful not to pus on it too hard.....bc u can do this to ur new 30 dollar screen...lol

tada!!!

works perfectly!! i also have more pics if needed

-hondakorn
    Last edited by hondakorn; 2008-05-08 at 02:05 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hondakorn For This Useful Post:

mjmills (2008-06-09), questioncom (2008-05-19), screamforme02 (2008-05-29)

Nice... let's get this stickied.

Just broke my iphone's glass. I'm gonna try to fix it your way but how did you glue the new glass to the lcd?
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks

i didnt use anything...the black residue left on the top and bottom of the phone hold the screen on secure.

if anyone has questions pm me. Happy to help.
    Last edited by hondakorn; 2008-05-08 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So you do not have to open up your iphone all the way to stick the new glass shut under the chrome bezel? I just installed a black back cover and do not feel like opening & therefore bending it up again

this will come in handy for my boy

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i just won a used iphone off ebay w a small crack. considering the size of my damage is nothing like yours how would i go about removing the glass?

Thanks for the post, it is useful. I am hoping and praying and withing that I never get lucky enough to try this one out though

Thanks

tinker - you dont have to open it all the way to put the glass in.

ghost - u have a pic of the crack?? My glass splintered throughout the entire screen when i dropped it making it easier to remove.

Please more info how you installed the new glass and more pics

Quote Originally Posted by hondakorn View Post
    tinker - you dont have to open it all the way to put the glass in.

ghost - u have a pic of the crack?? My glass splintered throughout the entire screen when i dropped it making it easier to remove.
    I just broke my screen today... i dont have splinter should i bust up the screen to make it easier to remove?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

wowo nice job with the screen lookin sharp. yeh this should get a sticky. lol i like the pic "dont press to hard or this happens to new 30 dollar screen" lol awsome post. ur gettin a thanks so i dont have to do it whn i actually break screen
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by Volpar View Post
    I just broke my screen today... i dont have splinter should i bust up the screen to make it easier to remove?
    Do you have thought on this?

I'm glad you were able to remove the glass, but I think for some reason you were lucky. My daughter broke the glass on her (new, January '08) iPhone and I got a new screen, BUT, removing the old glass from the module is virtually impossible because it is glued all over, not just on the edge. I guess some heat might have worked but I tell you, it is pretty well stuck so I am surprised at the reports of people managing to remove the glass. I suppose it is possible that the Chinese are using a new bonding process so older phones might be easier, but trust me, the new ones present an enormous challenge. My recommendation would be to replace the whole module, but I do notice that they come WITHOUT the glass affixed. So, how to bond the glass to the touch module? I do not doubt it will work if not bonded but it will very soon get condensation and dirt behind it so while I agree that the Apple $199 deal is robbery it might be the best you can hope for. If you do want to have a go yourself, getting to the part (getting the 'phone apart) is tricky but within the capabilities of anyone with the experience, patience and dexterity to do it; getting that darned glass off is another matter. You have been warned!!

Thanks

Does the new glass come with goo of its own?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (2009-02-07)

Thanks

no it doesn't come with goo...

Maybe i was lucky but i did my buddies iphone recently and it worked fine, but not as responsive w/ the goo.

so, what did you use to remove the glass??? im thinking perhaps a blowdryer and a blade?

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    so, what did you use to remove the glass??? im thinking perhaps a blowdryer and a blade?
    Razorblade and time.

No blowdryer, the heat isnt good for the LCD.

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought this and similar methods were supposed to be impossible because you'd harm the digitizer by prying the glass out?

Nearly impossible. And/or takes luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast