+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tweaked OS/X 1.1.1 upgrade guide

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok a lot of people seem to be having issues with the upgrade so I am going to write up a little thing explaining where I deviated from the normal
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Tweaked OS/X 1.1.1 upgrade guide
    Ok a lot of people seem to be having issues with the upgrade so I am going to write up a little thing explaining where I deviated from the normal processes listed in the guides

First I started here: http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dev...reak_1.1.1_OSX

Steps 1 through 12 of the guide above I followed EXACTLY to the letter. (If need be you can do the downgrade step as well which I also followed EXACTLY to the letter)

At the end of this process iTunes WILL see your phone as only having 300mb free, this is NORMAL don't bother trying to restore it it's a waste of time right now.

Second part: http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dev..._SSH_1.1.1_OSX

Steps 1 through 9 again here followed EXACTLY the password for root is "alpine" not "dottie" I'm putting that here because a lot of people seem to miss that even though it is clearly spelled out in the tutorial. The only thing at all that isn't explicitly stated in the tutorial (but should be pretty obvious) is that after step 6 of the tutorial you need to get your iPhone on your wifi network so it will actually have an IP to connect to. Once you're on wifi go ahead and continue to step 7 using the IP that your iPhone has on your wifi network.

iTunes will STILL see your phone as only have 300mb free so don't worry about it and don't do anything at all in iTunes yet.

Deviation time!!!

Instead of going to the BSD World install this is what I did, the main reason I'm skipping BSD World is because a lot of installer applications look for the bsd subsystem that you get from installer and won't install if you don't have it so this just makes life easier doing it this way.

Step 1. on your mac find where you have the apptapp installer (do not run it) you should have it sitting around from when you downloaded it at the beginning of this process.

Step 2. RIGHT CLICK on apptapp installer (the actual program not the zip file) if you don't use a two button mouse on your mac press and hold ctrl and then click it

Step 3. A menu will pop up from that menu choose "show package contents" in the finder window that pops up go into the "Contents" folder and then into the "Resources" folder.

Step 4. In the resources folder you should see a file called "Installer.app" or depending it may just say "Installer" without the .app extension (the extension is there finder just isn't showing it to you)

Step 5. move or copy (doesn't matter which) the Installer.app file to your desktop (this is just for convenience)

Step 6. Open terminal

Step 7. in terminal type the following commands:
    cd ~/Desktop
    scp -r Installer.app root@<iphone IP>:/Applications

Step 8. It takes a while (30 seconds to a minute) but eventually it will connect and ask you for your root password which is "alpine"

Step 9. Once you type in the password it will copy files to your iPhone

Step 10. now ssh back into your iPhone with the following command:
    ssh -l root <iphone IP>

Step 11. once you connect (again using "alpine" as the password) unlock the iphone screen with the home key then the slider

Step 12. with the screen unlocked type the following into your terminal on your mac which is still connected to the iPhone:
    /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

Step 13. Installer should be running on your iPhone now. Just ignore the terminal on your mac for the time being a bunch of stuff will scroll by

Step 14. On the iPhone in installer Find "Trip1PogoStick" and install it

Step 15. On the iPhone in installer find "BSD Subsystem" and install it, this takes a little while let it finish.

Step 16. Go back to your terminal window and press ctrl-c. Installer will quit on the iPhone

Step 17. Reboot your iphone

Step 18. Hey looky there installer is in place!

Step 19. iTunes STILL thinks your iPhone only has 300mb available shall we go ahead and fix that?

Step 20. connect to your iPhone via ssh through terminal on your mac:
    ssh -l root <iphone IP>
    (again password is "alpine")

Step 21. Type the following once you're connected:
    cd /var/root
    ls -l

Step 22. you should get a listing of files from the previous commands IF and ONLY IF it looks like what is below should you continue:
    total 744
    drwxrwxrwx 18 root wheel 646 Oct 12 10:27 Library
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Oct 12 10:25 Media -> /
    drwxr-x--- 3 root wheel 102 Oct 12 10:17 MediaBackup
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1502 Aug 7 14:05 iPhoneActivation.pem
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 751488 Aug 7 14:05 lockdownd.1.0.2

Step 23. Again ONLY if your listing came back exactly as above type the following:
    rm Media
    mv MediaBackup

Step 24. Done! Have fun you should be all set.

UPDATE - SFTP does not work with this method at all (nor does it with the dev team method) and to be honest you don't really need it to. That said if you do, I'd suggest removing the ssh client we installed to get this all set up and installing OpenSSH through installer it is a MUCH better SSH implementation.

Removing that SSH client is not at all straight forward I screwed myself if anyone feels up for figuring that out it would be appreciated.

Anyone figured out how to cleanly remove ssh so you can use openssh?

adding zip file containing the extracted installer.app file/folder mentioned above this should be helpful especially for those of you on windows trying to follow this guide
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TheYoshi; 10-17-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheYoshi For This Useful Post:

rugbrn (10-12-2007), rxmxsh (10-17-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default HElP!!!!
    after doing everything you said my iphone never got to th home screen....it starts up but stays on the apple screen...and has yet to go away...What do i do!!! please help

Green Apple
    Thanks

Which point last happened successfully?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheYoshi For This Useful Post:

rxmxsh (10-17-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone rxmxsh's Avatar
    Thanks

help, please -

total 744
    drwxrwxrwx 18 root wheel 646 Oct 17 08:26 Library
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Oct 17 08:32 Media -> /
    drwxr-x--- 3 root wheel 170 Oct 17 08:25 MediaBackup
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1502 Aug 7 11:05 iPhoneActivation.pem
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 751488 Aug 7 11:05 lockdownd.1.0.2
    -sh-3.2# rm Media
    -sh: rm: command not found
    -sh-3.2# RM Media
    -sh: RM: command not found
    -sh-3.2# MV MediaBackup
    -sh: MV: command not found
    -sh-3.2#

this is what i get.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rxmxsh View Post
    help, please -

total 744
    drwxrwxrwx 18 root wheel 646 Oct 17 08:26 Library
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Oct 17 08:32 Media -> /
    drwxr-x--- 3 root wheel 170 Oct 17 08:25 MediaBackup
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1502 Aug 7 11:05 iPhoneActivation.pem
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 751488 Aug 7 11:05 lockdownd.1.0.2
    -sh-3.2# rm Media
    -sh: rm: command not found
    -sh-3.2# RM Media
    -sh: RM: command not found
    -sh-3.2# MV MediaBackup
    -sh: MV: command not found
    -sh-3.2#

this is what i get.
    You are skipping steps.... go back to step 10 and do those steps IN ORDER. Actually there is a chance you didn't even pick up at step one of my deviated steps. Make sure you did them, in order.
    Last edited by TheYoshi; 10-17-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: actually..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheYoshi For This Useful Post:

rxmxsh (10-17-2007)

Thanks

No, I did step 10 all the way down. Why isn't ssh recognizing the command? Installer says I have BSD and Trip1Pogostick installed...

Nevermind. Here's what I did to fix it. I installed openssh from installer. I then Used Cyberduck to delete the media file. I then renamed the mediabackup to Media, and rebooted my phone. All better. Jailbroken, installer installed, and full capacity. I had to used several methods and marry them for it to work for me...
    Last edited by rxmxsh; 10-17-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

No, I did step 10 all the way down. Why isn't ssh recognizing the command? Installer says I have BSD and Trip1Pogostick installed...

Nevermind. Here's what I did to fix it. I installed openssh from installer. I then Used Cyberduck to delete the media file. I then renamed the mediabackup to Media, and rebooted my phone. All better. Jailbroken, installer installed, and full capacity. I had to used several methods and marry them for it to work for me...
    Did you try rebooting your iPhone after putting bsd on? sometimes that's a good idea....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheYoshi For This Useful Post:

rxmxsh (10-17-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoshi View Post
    Did you try rebooting your iPhone after putting bsd on? sometimes that's a good idea....
    You saw my last post, right? I appreciate your guide, it was pretty much the only one that I could use to get going. Worked great, up until the very end... FOR ME. This isn't my first hack, and there's no problems w/your instructions. For me, I couldn't get the rm and mv commands to be recognized after I has ssh'ed into the phone. Personally, I prefer openssh and used Cyberduck to fix it using a little common sense.

PS - I am thanking you every post I can b/c you deserve more thanks for writing up this guide.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You saw my last post, right? I appreciate your guide, it was pretty much the only one that I could use to get going. Worked great, up until the very end... FOR ME. This isn't my first hack, and there's no problems w/your instructions. For me, I couldn't get the rm and mv commands to be recognized after I has ssh'ed into the phone. Personally, I prefer openssh and used Cyberduck to fix it using a little common sense.

PS - I am thanking you every post I can b/c you deserve more thanks for writing up this guide.
    Thanks, I definitely appreciate the kind words. I'm with you I like OpenSSH MUCH better than dropbear which is why I keep hoping someone who knows more than me will write a full uninstall tutorial for dropbear ssh.... I mean I can get it out of UIctl and Services and remove some of the binaries but I'm pretty sure I'm missing pieces.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheYoshi For This Useful Post:

rxmxsh (10-19-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, I definitely appreciate the kind words. I'm with you I like OpenSSH MUCH better than dropbear which is why I keep hoping someone who knows more than me will write a full uninstall tutorial for dropbear ssh.... I mean I can get it out of UIctl and Services and remove some of the binaries but I'm pretty sure I'm missing pieces.
    After hours and hours of pain, I was able to unlock and activate my 1.1.1. phone downgraded to 1.0.2. After Simfree and I used the same jailbreak I had used earlier (1.2 ?) to activate the phone.
    Now I would like to upgrade the phone to 1.1.1 but I'm scared shitless.
    The seller of SimFree told me I can just click to update on Itunes but your instructions mentioned a independence (1.1.1?) -- so I'm afraid to do anything that may mess up the phone.
    How can I safely (really safely) update to 1.1.1 ?
    Is he right, that I can just straight up update on itunes ?
    Tks in advance for the help.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post
    After hours and hours of pain, I was able to unlock and activate my 1.1.1. phone downgraded to 1.0.2. After Simfree and I used the same jailbreak I had used earlier (1.2 ?) to activate the phone.
    Now I would like to upgrade the phone to 1.1.1 but I'm scared shitless.
    The seller of SimFree told me I can just click to update on Itunes but your instructions mentioned a independence (1.1.1?) -- so I'm afraid to do anything that may mess up the phone.
    How can I safely (really safely) update to 1.1.1 ?
    Is he right, that I can just straight up update on itunes ?
    Tks in advance for the help.
    Errr, I'm not sure I'm following you. I don't mention Independence in my instructions at all.

If you want to be 100&#37; safe I can tell you that following all off the instructions in my post will safely upgrade you provided you have done NO sim unlocks. Since you have.. I'm not sure what will happen, I have no need to remove my sim lock so I haven't bothered to learn anything about doing it. I'd definitely look for advice from others on this, perhaps in the unlocking forum?

Thanks

hook up independence, there is an uninstall tab for ssh and dropbear.