Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade Jailbreak HELP!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone donkeylarry's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Upgrade Jailbreak HELP!!!
    Hi, I am currently on 5.1.1. on my 4s. I originally used Redsn0w to jailbreak.

My question is...is it HONESTLY ok to upgrade to ios 7.1.2 and then re-jailbreak with Pangu? I understand I will have to re-install all my tweaks, themes(s) etc. if I want to retain the look and feel of my phone, which really is the ONLY thing I care about making 100% sure is possible with the new jailbreak and ios upgrade. I was planning on writing down my current Winterboard makeup (and save current setup to desktop from iFile then reinstall) etc....

I am hoping to do this ASAP, if it is, in fact possible.

I appreciate all your help and comments as I know if there is experience and expertise to be offered, it's from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

Hey if I were you i wouldn't update to ios 7, since Apple changed the way some things worked so you can't theme as much, if I were you id save my 5.1.1 shsh blobs via redsn0w or tinyumbrella and restore to 5.1.1 (note: a5 devices on ios 5 could downgrade/upgrade to any 5.x.x firmware as long as they had shsh blobs saved; it could be done via redsn0w)

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ncx77 View Post
    Hey if I were you i wouldn't update to ios 7, since Apple changed the way some things worked so you can't theme as much, if I were you id save my 5.1.1 shsh blobs via redsn0w or tinyumbrella and restore to 5.1.1 (note: a5 devices on ios 5 could downgrade/upgrade to any 5.x.x firmware as long as they had shsh blobs saved; it could be done via redsn0w)

Thank you! I haven't started or tried yet. I was primarily hoping to get the increase in battery and be able to download more of the Apple apps that I am unable to update (or no longer work in 5.1.1). If I could just retain the 2-3 themes and tweaks I have installed, I would be happy with that.

If anything ios 7 would drain more battery, if I were you just stick with 5.1.1, you'll regret ditching the classic ios look that you'll never be able to get again if you upgrade. Another thing to note is that the 4s was designed to run on ios 5 so it'll probably perform better on ios 5 vs ios 7. Using some extra system resources for ex parallax and blur (background app refresh if you have it on) will definetly not give you better battery life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ncx77 For This Useful Post:

donkeylarry (07-28-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ncx77 View Post
    If anything ios 7 would drain more battery, if I were you just stick with 5.1.1, you'll regret ditching the classic ios look that you'll never be able to get again if you upgrade. Another thing to note is that the 4s was designed to run on ios 5 so it'll probably perform better on ios 5 vs ios 7. Using some extra system resources for ex parallax and blur (background app refresh if you have it on) will definetly not give you better battery life.

I appreciate all of your feedback!!!!! If I was to try the upgrade and see what I'm able to restore, it IS possible that I could always downgrade back to 5.1.1 correct? I really only have a handful of tweaks etc. and I use the Boss by FIF7Y theme and have a couple other themes within Winterboard and that's really all I have going on....

You can only downgrade/upgrade on a5 devices within the ios 5 firmware (5,5.0.1,5.1,5.1.1) this was due to a apticket bug that would allow you to downgrade/upgrade within ios 5 firmware as long as you had shsh blobs saved for that firmware. So once you update to anything past ios 5.1.1 (ios 7.1.2 in your case) you cannot go back regardless of having saved blobs, and the winterboard themes you're talking about most likely haven't been ported/updated due to the way ios 7 changed things.

If I were you just stay on 5.1.1 and if you're getting the iPhone 6 you'll have ios 8, ios 5 was better as far as design wise in my opinion and I believe Steve jobs wouldn't have let them release ios 7 with the way it looks

Last edited by ncx77; 07-28-2014 at 08:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ncx77 For This Useful Post:

donkeylarry (07-28-2014)

Thanks

Thanks again for all the help!

No problem