+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need advice on repairing sleep/power button, but not losing jailbreak

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
(This question regards jailbreak and hardware, so I'm posting here. Apologies if it's not the right forum.) Hello all. My iPhone 5 sleep/power button is failing. However, with several months
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Need advice on repairing sleep/power button, but not losing jailbreak
    (This question regards jailbreak and hardware, so I'm posting here. Apologies if it's not the right forum.)

Hello all. My iPhone 5 sleep/power button is failing. However, with several months left on my AppleCare, I can't swap for a new one or I'll lose my iOS 6 jailbreak. (I really don't want to upgrade to iOS 7.)

I've asked several iPhone repair services if replacing the switch will lose the jailbreak, but surprisingly, there's no agreement. One asked if my switch was stuck, or just intermittent? According to him, if it's intermittent (failing cable), I could lose the jailbreak during the repair... but probably not if the switch is just stuck. That made no sense to me. Another service said there was no way I'd lose my JB.

The switch hasn't failed completely. It just exhibits the well-known problem of beginning to fail when pressed on the right side of the button. I avoid using the button by using Activator, but having it functional again would be nice.

I do have a local iTunes backup of my jailbreak, but no blobs, or any of that, so I imagine the backup is of no use if I lose the jailbreak.

Any thoughts about whether replacing the switch might lose my jailbreak would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

iPhone 5 evasion iOS 6

Thanks
    Thanked 9,696 Times in 5,956 Posts

If done properly you should be fine replacing it without having to do a restore..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think you should be fine repairing/replacing the power button and not losing your jailbreak. Before I do any kind of repair on any i product I usually do or have the customer do a complete backup.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by froglodge32 View Post
    I think you should be fine repairing/replacing the power button and not losing your jailbreak. Before I do any kind of repair on any i product I usually do or have the customer do a complete backup.
    Thanks for the reply. However, am I correct that if the iPhone is jailbroken with iOS 6, (and if it had to be restored, then it would mean having to go to iOS 7? I prefer to stay with 6.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,696 Times in 5,956 Posts

Yes, you would have to move up to 7.0.4 which is still jailbreakable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Yes, you would have to move up to 7.0.4 which is still jailbreakable.
    Thanks for the clarification! In that case, I'd rather do without the sleep button altogether (thanks to Activator), than go to iOS 7. Yeah, I'm stubborn I guess, but I like Zephyr that much. Besides, there's just not enough reason for me to upgrade to 7.