+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Update from 5.1.4 to iOS6 on iPhone 4S (factory unlocked)

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey guys I've been on a jailbreaked iOS 5.1.4 for about 18 months and want to upgrade to iOS6 and jailbreak it. Is that even possible? Thanks!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Update from 5.1.4 to iOS6 on iPhone 4S (factory unlocked)
    Hey guys

I've been on a jailbreaked iOS 5.1.4 for about 18 months and want to upgrade to iOS6 and jailbreak it. Is that even possible?

Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone tito12's Avatar
    Thanks

Impossible, you can upgrade only to 7 and jb
    iPhone 5s, 7.0.6 running 3 4 All , a free theme by Sk37cH

Thanks

Let's figure out exactly what version of iOS you're on, as there never was a version known as "5.1.4."

If you're on 5.1.1, you could theoretically get to iOS 6 once with an iPhone 4S, if you have the correct SHSH blobs (which for all the jailbreakable versions of iOS 6, isn't a guaranteed proposition).

There's a bug in iOS 5's ramdisk used for restores that will allow a restore to an arbitrary version of iOS (with the correct SHSH blobs), but it only works if you restored (not OTA, nor updated, nor with it installed from the factory) to iOS 5.1.1 (or any other version of iOS 5). You'll need redsn0w's Restore function (Extras -> Even More -> Restore) to pull it off, assuming you meet the necessary criteria.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Orby,

Can you elaborate a bit more? i just want to confirm with what you are saying.

I have:
    1) Iphone 4S on 5.1.1, have not been updated to 6.x before, now jailbroken.
    2) Valid 5.1.1, 6.0.1, 6.1.3 SHSH created by TinyUmbrella (ifaith said the appticket looks valid but it cannot support)

Do I have what you mentioned "criteria" to get my Iphone 4S to 6.1.3??
    Last edited by protocold; 01-19-2014 at 10:31 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by protocold View Post
    Hi Orby,

Can you elaborate a bit more? i just want to confirm with what you are saying.

I have:
    1) Iphone 4S on 5.1.1, have not been updated to 6.x before, now jailbroken.
    2) Valid 5.1.1, 6.0.1, 6.1.3 SHSH created by TinyUmbrella (ifaith said the appticket looks valid but it cannot support)

Do I have what you mentioned "criteria" to get my Iphone 4S to 6.1.3??
    In other words,if iFaith says the 5.1.1 SHSH blobs are Valid and APtickets are present, and you are CURRENTLY on 5.1.1, then it is possible to re-RESTORE back to 5.1.1, but you CANNOT restore to 6.1.3 because of how Apple changed it's restore process for iOS 6+

Even if you have shsh blobs for iOS 6 for your iphone 4S, it cannot be used at this time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    In other words,if iFaith says the 5.1.1 SHSH blobs are Valid and APtickets are present, and you are CURRENTLY on 5.1.1, then it is possible to re-RESTORE back to 5.1.1, but you CANNOT restore to 6.1.3 because of how Apple changed it's restore process for iOS 6+

Even if you have shsh blobs for iOS 6 for your iphone 4S, it cannot be used at this time
    Yes and no.

If my understanding of this restore exploit is correct, you hypothetically could get ONE restore to 6.1.3 (with the 7.0.4 baseband), but then would be stuck there or be forced forward to the current Apple release.

However, I do not know if redsn0w is build to function this way. In fact, I don't think it does. Thus, we're left with the normal functionality of the 4S, which is "only the most current signed firmware."

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yes and no.

If my understanding of this restore exploit is correct, you hypothetically could get ONE restore to 6.1.3 (with the 7.0.4 baseband), but then would be stuck there or be forced forward to the current Apple release.

However, I do not know if redsn0w is build to function this way. In fact, I don't think it does. Thus, we're left with the normal functionality of the 4S, which is "only the most current signed firmware."
    hmm...I have my 4s currently on 5.1.1, and I don't want to lose it to test your theory, but that's something for me to research on