Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked and Jailbroken iPhone 3G - Stuck in Restore Mode

Unhappy Unlocked and Jailbroken iPhone 3G - Stuck in Restore Mode
    Hi;

I am trying to restore an iPhone 3G that had been unlocked and jailbroken.

I made the error of not asking the question before I did it and simply connected the phone fired up iTunes and selected Restore!!! Now the phone is stuck in Restore Mode (USB / iTunes Logo).

How can I restore this phone to its previous locked state (I want to pass it to my daughter who has broken her phone).

Problem is I don't know the baseband or firmware version on the phone??

Any help would be great :-(

Only option now is to place device in dfu mode and restore thru iTunes. Will no longer be jailbroken and depending on how it was unlocked, may now be locked to the original carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Only option now is to place device in dfu mode and restore thru iTunes. Will no longer be jailbroken and depending on how it was unlocked, may now be locked to the original carrier.
    Tried that but it did not work, after much searching I found a post co wrong the same problem. I had to use a Custom Restore .ipsw. The post showed the steps to create one using Redsnow but I had to use Pwnage as I have a Mac. Created the custom .ipsw and restrored using iTunes (option/select restore to choose a .ipsw file and selected to custom .ipsw file made using Pwnage.
    Aparently you cannot restore an unlocked iPhone using iTunes if you have used a modified iPad baseband which must have been installed when it was unlocked. I'll post the steps and links later. P.s. just arrived back in the UK and it would seem that lots of ISPs have banned loads of file sharing sites which is a pain especially when you use them for legit purposes!!!!!

Here's the video:

iPhone 3G Custom 4.2.1 with baseband 06.15.00 Restore Loop FIX - YouTube

Sorry he used Snowbreeze not Redsnow.

Basically you need to download the original iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw and use Snowbreeze or Pwnage to create a custom ipsw, which is an ipsw without a baseband. Then you need place the iPhone into DFU mode and restore it using iTunes but when pressing reset you press Ctrl Windows / Option Mac and select the custom ipsw that you just made and hey presto!!