Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help!!! Can't activate iphone 3gs - feel like dog chasing my own tail !!!!

Question Help!!! Can't activate iphone 3gs - feel like dog chasing my own tail !!!!
    Hope someone can help me!!! But be warned...... I am an absolute iPhone dummy. But after 2 days solid of trying to do this all by myself... I'm in need of some help!!
    I have an iPhone 3GS (which is quiet old).. which was jail broken. I upgraded to the iPhone 4 which is now sync'd with iTunes. But before I sync'd the new phone I restored the iPhone 3.
    Now this is where the problems begin...... It seems the 3 has gone back to its original settings. I've got snowbreeze installed on desktop... I've gone through all the motions... followed all the instructions...... and redone it several times and the message I have now is.... Could not activate iPhone as the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting to iTunes to activate it. So I open up iTunes and I get....... (after quiet a while of it trying to connect)... " No SIM installed... please disconnect, insert SIM and try again". This phone has been unlocked and has been with various companies. I don't have the original provider of the SIM card. I got a feeling when I restored the phone it has taken out the jail broke software so will now only except the original SIM card. I'm not sure on what iOS my phone is either. If someone could explain to me (in layman terms please) what my next step is or if I have an option. I only wanted to keep this phone as a backup so I'm not bothered about losing GPS or push notifications etc.... just want the basic software installed and to except all SIM's. Thanx in advance... any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Alright, let's get cooking.

1) Download redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (for OS X or Windows) here, and download the 6.0 IPSW for your iPhone 3GS (even though we are on a different iOS 6 version) here.
    2) Open up redsn0w, and go to Extras -> Select IPSW. Choose that iOS 6.0 IPSW we just downloaded.
    3) Go back to the front page of redsn0w, and select the Jailbreak option. Enter DFU mode following redsn0w's instructions. If redsn0w asks if you have a new or old bootrom, select "New" unless you are absolutely, positively, certainly sure you have an old-bootrom device.
    4) At this point, you should see a screen that has multiple checkbox options. Make sure "Install Cydia" and "Hacktivate" are checked. The redsn0w software will now jailbreak your device. However, at this point, your device is likely still a tethered jailbreak.
    5) Open up redsn0w again, first running Extras -> Select IPSW -> use that iOS 6.0 IPSW, then going to Extras -> Just Boot. Follow the DFU instructions. Afterwards, we should have a 3GS with Cydia on it.
    6) Open Cydia, and delay the essential upgrades once. Search Cydia for "evasi0n." Install the "Evasi0n 6.0 - 6.1.2 Untether" package. Once you've installed that package and resprung your device in Cydia, manually reboot your telephone.
    7) After your telephone has rebooted, open Cydia, go to "Manage" and touch the "Add" button in the top corner. Add the repository "repo.bingner.com," then search Cydia for "SAM."
    8) Install the SAM package. Once installed, open your Settings application and look for the SAM preference. Make sure SAM is "Enabled" and Method is set to "Auto Detect." With that done, hit the button that says "Restore lockdownd" and plug your iPhone into iTunes. At this point, hopefully your iPhone will activate itself legitimately.
    9) Install ultrasn0w in Cydia to get your cellular unlock (assuming you preserved your baseband). If not, then we may need to do some additional work with redsn0w to get your device back to an unlockable state.

Hi... thanx so much for ur reply.... I've started the downloads... the file I'm downloading down is the IPSW 6.0. Is it ok that its in a zip file?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maximoo72 View Post
    Hi... thanx so much for ur reply.... I've started the downloads... the file I'm downloading down is the IPSW 6.0. Is it ok that its in a zip file?
    That's not a good sign. Try downloading the file using a different web browser, such as Firefox or Chrome.

No... not a good sign.... I've tried downloading Chrome (some problem there). So I've downloaded Fire Fox which is set as my web browser. But will only give me option to download file as Zip.
    Been at this 4 hours now. But the good news is I have the redsn0w file which is OK. I think I've downloaded so much stuff over last 3 days trying to sort this mess out my laptop having nervous breakdown too!!! Because before when I downloaded some much needed files to fix this phone I managed to get some logo's that look like little white lego bricks which are on my desktop. These always pop up on the list when I'm trying to find a IPSW file. But have since found out there are not the right ones. Anyway... I'm giving up for now. Will give it another bash tomorrow. Sounds like I now have computer probs to sort out... great!!! Thanks again anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maximoo72 View Post
    No... not a good sign.... I've tried downloading Chrome (some problem there). So I've downloaded Fire Fox which is set as my web browser. But will only give me option to download file as Zip.
    Been at this 4 hours now. But the good news is I have the redsn0w file which is OK. I think I've downloaded so much stuff over last 3 days trying to sort this mess out my laptop having nervous breakdown too!!! Because before when I downloaded some much needed files to fix this phone I managed to get some logo's that look like little white lego bricks which are on my desktop. These always pop up on the list when I'm trying to find a IPSW file. But have since found out there are not the right ones. Anyway... I'm giving up for now. Will give it another bash tomorrow. Sounds like I now have computer probs to sort out... great!!! Thanks again anyway.
    Does the little white brick logo look like this?

If so, then that is hopefully a valid IPSW file... if you've got one for iOS 6.0 (or heck, try downloading that link I gave you as a ZIP and hopefully it'll fix itself), let's use that.

I don't see a "Hacktivate" checkbox in the redsn0w menu Orby?

I've managed to do it but in the section about installing Evasi0n 6.0 - 6.1.2 Untether it gives me an error saying that the firmware needs to be under 6.1.2. Despite me selecting the 6.0 firmware bundle described earlier I decided to have a look in my menu and it says I'm on 6.1.3. What do I do now?

Too much fiddling around. Now I've got the black screen of death again!
    Last edited by dazzystar; 10-13-2013 at 05:44 AM.