+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to upgrade from IOS 5.1.1 to IOS 6.1.3 with SHSH now apple stopped signing IOS 6 ?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, I have a iPhone 4 running IOS 5.1.1 currently. I wish to upgrade it to IOS 6 for an app I want to install (which only supported by IOS
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to upgrade from IOS 5.1.1 to IOS 6.1.3 with SHSH now apple stopped signing IOS 6 ?
    Hi,

I have a iPhone 4 running IOS 5.1.1 currently. I wish to upgrade it to IOS 6 for an app I want to install (which only supported by IOS 6.x), I poked around but only found downgrade and restore guides, but how do I upgrade with my IOS 6.1.3 SHSH ?

or should I just go ahead and upgrade it to IOS 7 and then downgrade it ? But I keep running into posts saying it's not possible to downgrade from IOS 7 to IOS 6, is it true with jailbreaked iPhone as well ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Method I tried:

1. Redsn0w stitch, restore but didn't work, it always stuck on the "waiting for device" part and then display a error after a long waiting (the error appeared after the phone reboot it self out of DFU mode)...

2. Itunes restore using Redsn0w stitched IOS, it too stuck on the waiting for device part and gives a various of error number.

3. Used Ifaith to create a "Signed" IOS 6.1.3, and then restore using Itunes, but keeps give "Unknown error (11)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know my question is kind of long, so thanks for the patience. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Or is there any other method I should have tried ? Or did I simply made some mistakes in my previous attempts ?
    Last edited by Alarstor; 09-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,321 Times in 5,975 Posts

Signing window is closed for 6.3 now.

You can fool the AppStore into thinking that you are running a later firmware with a simple plist edit. Just google it.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Signing window is closed for 6.3 now.

You can fool the AppStore into thinking that you are running a later firmware with a simple plist edit. Just google it.

Thanks for the reply, but my problem is not with the AppStore. The IOS 5 doesn't support the app I tried to install, that's why I'm trying to upgrade it to IOS 6. Sorry, I guess I may have concussed you on that part :P
    Last edited by Alarstor; 09-22-2013 at 09:05 AM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,321 Times in 5,975 Posts

I guess I should have been a little clearer. Follow the instructions on this video that I googled for you. Next time don't just dismiss the advice, I know exactly what you want to do.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KULFlwTrn-A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKULFlwTrn-A#
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 09-22-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alarstor (09-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

What version of iTunes are you running?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess I should have been a little clearer. Follow the instructions on this video that I googled for you. Next time don't just dismiss the advice, I know exactly what you want to do.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KULFlwT...3DKULFlwTrn-A#
    Thanks King_O_Hill, it come very nearly to a perfect solution, the only flaw is that even AppStore and iTunes both think that my device is a IOS 6, but the .ipa file won't

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

I'm using iTunes 11.1.0.126

I'm now trying to restore to IOS 6.1.3 with iTunes and Redsn0w thinking that I'm running a 6.1.3 device.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KULFlwT...3DKULFlwTrn-A#

Thanks King_O_Hill, editing .plist file certainly fooled both iTunes and AppStore into thinking I'm using IOS6, but the .ipa file I'm trying to use just won't work ...

I'm using iTunes 11.1.0.126

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried again just now, using iFaith to build "signed" IPSW w/Blobs, and restore using iTunes, still getting "iphone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred (11)" ...

Should I change a iTunes version ?

Thanks

iTunes 11.1 blocks custom firmware restores I believe. If you have your SHSH and want to downgrade try the stitching custom firmware again but first downgrade iTunes or use a computer where iTunes hasn't been upgraded yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iTunes 11.1 blocks custom firmware restores I believe. If you have your SHSH and want to downgrade try the stitching custom firmware again but first downgrade iTunes or use a computer where iTunes hasn't been upgraded yet.
    Just found iTunes 10.7 on the oldapps.com. I will give it a try later on, hope it works

Thanks

I wouldnt go that far back. iTunes 11.0.5 would be fine: Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Alarstor (09-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Let us know if this works.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wouldnt go that far back. iTunes 11.0.5 would be fine: Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com
    Thanks, I will give it a try later on.

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    Let us know if this works.
    Sure.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Alastor did it work? An leaving my 5.1.1 iPad alone as its functional enough and I need my mouse on it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

What about trying to make a custom 6.1.3 with Snowbreeze 2.9.14. Will iTunes 11.1 stop that too???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    What about trying to make a custom 6.1.3 with Snowbreeze 2.9.14. Will iTunes 11.1 stop that too???
    Yes, I believe so. iTunes now checks its hashes of the IPSW in a different way than before, so an altered IPSW like sn0wbreeze creates will fail this new method of checking.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

bbrks (09-26-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Also, from my experience I had to use iREB to put my iPhone 4 in pwned DFU mode then iTunes 11.0.5 would restore. Otherwise, it would give me error 3194 (this error has nothing to do with host file. I checked gs.apple.com)

Good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    Alastor did it work? An leaving my 5.1.1 iPad alone as its functional enough and I need my mouse on it.
    Been busy last two day, I did give it a (two actually ) try last night, but got error (1601) both times, I just googled some solution, and will try it right now, by the way I used iREB to put my device into DFU mode and noticed that on the bottom of the interface, it says "iTunes 10 required", I will give iTunes 10 a try later on today as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alarstor View Post
    Been busy last two day, I did give it a (two actually ) try last night, but got error (1601) both times, I just googled some solution, and will try it right now, by the way I used iREB to put my device into DFU mode and noticed that on the bottom of the interface, it says "iTunes 10 required", I will give iTunes 10 a try later on today as well.
    Thanks for everyone's help, it finally worked

Here is how I did it:

1. (not a must do, but to be advices) backup my iPhone's backup created by iTunes located in C\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup, just in-case I needed it later. Note: I'm using a windows system.

2. Used Ifaith to create a "Signed" IOS 6.1.3, and then restore using Itunes after putting your device into DFU mode using iREB.

*Must use iTunes 10 (The one I used is iTunes 10.7), as iTunes 11 doesn't let me restore whatever I do. On the other hand, I succeeded using iTunes 10.7 on the first try.

Tips:

1. if you install iTunes 10 after uninstall iTunes 11, you will find that iTunes 10 can't be opened , a error will pop up says that "ITunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes."

Here is how to fix it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMT0XFxJLrY

2. If you edit your host file (C\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ drivers \ etc \ hosts) in the past for IOS restore, delete the line 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com (this may or may not matters, but it worked for me with the "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" deleted in the host file.)

3. the only problem so far I have encountered is that iTunes 10 seems unable to fully restore my device, but it's hardly a big deal to me, so I bypassed the problem by "set it as a a new device". I think the problem occurred because iTunes 11 and 10 stores the phone backup in a slightly different format (or so I have heard), so try restore it using iTunes 11. Or simply just backup using iTunes 10 before you restore it, if you want to keep using iTunes 10 from now on.

Cheers
    Last edited by Alarstor; 09-25-2013 at 10:05 PM.