+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trouble installing custom signed firmware

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey people, Its not often I ask for help but could do with a little now. I have a iphone 4 that I have found out is on 6.0.1 but
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Trouble installing custom signed firmware
    Hey people,

Its not often I ask for help but could do with a little now.

I have a iphone 4 that I have found out is on 6.0.1 but it is stuck on the connect to itunes logo.

I have tried the usual method of hard reset with no joy to bypass it.

I have got the SHSH blobs from saving them in iFaith.

I have made a custom firmware stitching the blobs to 6.0.1 with iFaith and with sn0wbreeze and then Shift/Restore with iTunes with the phone in Pwn DFU mode.

This is where the problem happens.

Every time I try to restore with the custom firmware (either iFaiths or sn0wbreezes) it unpacks, then prepares, then I see either the iFaith or sn0wbreeze logo on the phone and then I get the error 40 (really hope it hasn't got a fried NAND chip).

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I am thinking of putting the official 6.1.3 (being that apple still seems to be signing that firmware according to the wiki) then installing the custom 6.0.1 on the phone? does anyone know if my idea will definitely work?

Thanks in advance

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you check if the 6.0.1 SHSH blobs you have are OK? iFaith is the right tool to do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

Smokin House (09-24-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,303 Times in 5,968 Posts

Where did you get the phone from?

Is it currently jailbroken?
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got the blobs from the phone via iFaith. so they should be fine.

BUT I tried today again to make sure and now I see this:

photo.JPG

It says couldnt load kernel.......... very strange

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Where did you get the phone from?

Is it currently jailbroken?
    Bought from eBay

not as far as I could work out.

ps. I've got your 'MyLocation' tweak on my own ip4 and it's so handy for my widgets, thank you
    Last edited by Smokin House; 09-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

AAARRRGGGHHHH so I look at the wiki today only to find out they have now closed the signing on ANYTHING with 6.1.3 apart from the iPad mini 1G GSM, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G.

I'm starting to hate apple and there monopolising tactics.

So now my question has changed a little to can i update the iphone to ios 7 and then downgrade it with my custom firmware 6.0.1
    Oh and I have also had it by good authority that they have blocked custom firmware being able to be put on if your using iTunes 11.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin House View Post
    So now my question has changed a little to can i update the iphone to ios 7 and then downgrade it with my custom firmware 6.0.1
    Oh and I have also had it by good authority that they have blocked custom firmware being able to be put on if your using iTunes 11.1
    Yes, but that's contingent on bypassing the iTunes 11.1 hang-up (which also affects iFaith and redsn0w, according to my understanding of the situation). It'll happen when a new tool or patch for restoring custom firmwares is made.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yes, but that's contingent on bypassing the iTunes 11.1 hang-up (which also affects iFaith and redsn0w, according to my understanding of the situation). It'll happen when a new tool or patch for restoring custom firmwares is made.
    Well, I did not use 11.1 because of this situation. I am currently using 11.0.5.5 and I get this error

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin House View Post
    Well, I did not use 11.1 because of this situation. I am currently using 11.0.5.5 and I get this error
    Hmm. Double-check with your restore logs (located at ~/Library/Logs/iPhone Restore Logs on OS X, %AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs on Windows), but I'm afraid that your diagnosis of a bad NAND chip may be accurate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just my experience from downgrading iOS 7 to 6.1.2 on iPhone 4, I got iTunes error 16?? on latest version (11.1). Then I switched to another computer with an older iTunes (v11.0.?) and got error 3194.

I verified that the host file wasn't modified to 127.0.0.1 by checking gs.apple.com. For the restore to work, I downloaded the latest iREB from iH8sn0w and ran it to put the iPhone in pwned DFU mode. After that I ran iTunes (older version) and did a shift+restore. This time it was a success. Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hcgaloi For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok here is an update: I decided to update to iOS7 and roll back with stitched blobs custom IPSW.

OFW iOS7 went on using iTunes 11.0.5.5 with no problem straight from the 'connect to iTunes' logo , the phone reset (as it normally does) then I got the set up screen, chose language, chose country, then it gets to 'connect to iTunes' screen.

iTunes 11.0.5.5 will not read the iPhone with iOS7 on it, you get a message 'to read the phone you must use 11.1', so installed that on one of the pcs we have here and connected the phone. I then get a message ' there's a problem with your phone please contact the service centre or go to you local apple store.

I thought to myself, in the morning I will try and put the stitched iFaith custom firmware I made on the phone and see if that goes ok. So I put 6.0.1 iFaith stitched IPSW on (in DFU mode) and again it went on absolutely fine, got to the same set up screen and went through the process again until the 'connect to iTunes' so connected it to the 11.0.5.5 iTunes and got the same result 'there's a problem with your iPhone etc etc.....'

At this time I'm thinking it's activation (had this before), so I made a sn0wbreeze 6.0.1 IPSW with the iFaith blobs and used the hacktivate option, then put this on in DFU mode with iTunes 11.0.5.5, again it went on like a dream, this time though at the set up it went straight to the asking to activate the location services so I turned that on, then asked for apple id, couldn't put it on or register a new one so skipped it, and started phone as new.

This is now the bad news.

In settings/general/about there is no IMEI, no Baseband, no UDID. ALSO on every firmware I have put on the phone the cellular signal is ALWAYS showing 'Searching' (REALLY WEIRD) coz there's no SIM installed and normally it says 'No Sim' after a few mins.

Also the WiFi toggle is greyed out and have tried the basic methods (reset network settings) with no avail.

I believe it is also fully untethered as I am able to turn off and turn on with no problem and access Cydia to see what it has installed (I see the untethered tweak in the list of packages)

I am really puzzled now what's going on. I am thinking of trying to re-install the sn0wbreeze IPSW again but I thought I would post here 1st to see if and of you have any ideas where to go from here before I do anything else.

Thanks

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,303 Times in 5,968 Posts

Ok, I got nothing. Sorry.

Maybe Simon has something.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hmm, so the baseband is now shot?

I'm still feeling like we're looking at (possibly multiple) hardware faults... can we try a DFU restore (using iTunes 11.1) to iOS 7.0 stock then the downgrade process again? Fortunately, the iPhone 4's baseband can be flashed a little more readily than previous devices, so perhaps another restore might fix it. Key word "might" though, I'm still not sold on your NAND chip being totally solid, and now this baseband thing worries me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Smokin House (09-25-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, so the baseband is now shot?

I'm still feeling like we're looking at (possibly multiple) hardware faults... can we try a DFU restore (using iTunes 11.1) to iOS 7.0 stock then the downgrade process again? Fortunately, the iPhone 4's baseband can be flashed a little more readily than previous devices, so perhaps another restore might fix it. Key word "might" though, I'm still not sold on your NAND chip being totally solid, and now this baseband thing worries me.
    Hey Orby,

Cheers for the reply.

I'm not even sure if the baseband chip was fully working when we bought the phone.
    Originally, as previously stated, when it got delivered, it was on the connect to iTunes logo, so couldn't even check what baseband it was on from the settings menu.

I did however get a Redsn0w report as soon as I ran it through for device info:
    original redsn0w report as soon as received iPhone

I also ran it through Redsn0w again after iOS7 was installed:
    redsn0w report on iOS7

After the custom 6.0.1 install with the stitched blobs I ran the redsn0w report again:
    redsn0w report after custom firmware install

All the reports seem very similar, the only big difference I can see, apart from the firmware, is the carrier bundle listing.

You will see that all of them say "BasebandStatus: NoTelephonyCapabilty" & "BluetoothAddress: 00:00:00:00:00:00"

I will try a iOS7 DFU install with iTunes 11.1 and then downgrade again to 6.0.1 signed IPSW with iTunes 11.0.5.5 and post the result later.

I've already been searching for a place in the UK that does Baseband chip replacement but DAM MAN its hard to find a reputable provider!

Thanks

Yeah baseband replacement per se is usually more trouble than its worth... I've found it's usually only feasible to swap the whole logic board. If you're at that point, you may as well go get a new mobile or visit Apple and cough up the hundred twenty-five quid or so for them to replace the whole phone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

beijingiphonerepair.com will replace iPhone 4 baseband chip. However, it's probably a lot cheaper to buy a used one. I have seen them listed from $75 -$150 on Craigslist in my city. Good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah baseband replacement per se is usually more trouble than its worth... I've found it's usually only feasible to swap the whole logic board. If you're at that point, you may as well go get a new mobile or visit Apple and cough up the hundred twenty-five quid or so for them to replace the whole phone.
    Agreed. I found it hard enough finding a good place to get my own audio ic done! Might think about apple but will prob look about 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post
    beijingiphonerepair.com will replace iPhone 4 baseband chip. However, it's probably a lot cheaper to buy a used one. I have seen them listed from $75 -$150 on Craigslist in my city. Good luck
    I've already looked at them but I'd rather somewhere in the UK and preferably local to myself (obviously).
    Craiglist..... sounds and looks like ebay/loot/gumtree a bit